Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
697,960 Views 299 Replies Last post: Jan 18, 2015 8:42 PM by CreateSpaceKate RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next
CreateSpaceKate Representative 369 posts since
Nov 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2010 11:52 AM

Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion

This thread has been created to provide a dedicated space for you to share your experiences, best tips and questions about interior file formatting. To keep this thread focused on file interiors, posts that are unrelated will be deleted.

Thanks in advance for sharing and we hope members that are new to the experience will find this especially helpful. As always, we appreciate your voice, your expertise and your time.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
1. Sep 2, 2010 3:22 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate
Re: Welcome to the Interior File Formatting Discussion

I have been harping on this one small detail that has help me publish with CS twice. The free template from http://www.lulu.com/tinhorn. at the least It provides many answers to the margin questions,I find it a great tool just as a guide. I know this is not for everyone, but download one and tell me if there isn't anything of value.

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 5 15,842 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
2. Sep 2, 2010 7:09 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Okay, gang. Here is a tip that will keep your text out of the trim area and readable in the gutter. No matter what software you use to write your manuscript - MSWord, OpenOffice, WordPerfect, or whatever is used on Macintosh, ALL word processing softwares provide for a left and right indent as well as a First Line indent. Set your Left and Right indentations to 0.6 inches and your text will never run into or against the trim line even if your text box is stretched from inside to outside trim lines. Doing this and you should never get the $*&$%#$ Live Element in Trim area error message from CS.

Seal

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Sep 2, 2010 10:34 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

I don't believe in templates for interior files. Every single book I have done is different to the last (except for series). The fonts I use are generally different each time, which means the point size and leading is different, which means lines per page is different, which means my margins are different, which means the placement of my running heads and page numbering is different...

I do think CreateSpace would do a great service to its customers by providing a variety of different editable sample documents (call them templates if you must) to demonstrate what can be achieved, and not a cookie-cutter approach to book formatting.

Michelle

_______

http://www.odysseybooks.com.au

Mar 19, 2010
4. Sep 3, 2010 7:06 AM in response to: lipmag

I use them all the time (Templates) and to say they are cookie-cutter is wrong, sorry. I have published twice using them and they can be changed, fonts, lines per page, headers can be changed too. Most people find a specific way to publish and using templates is mine. Not for everybody , but I see no problem with them. I have had several new members say they are a life saver.

When I first started here I was having a rough time until I saw a post by a guy called Jessie. Well, he put up the information about the templates and I downloaded one. Just by looking and studying them I learned how to do my own formating and never need to ask a question about formatting again. They are a great tool and learning guide. Thanks Jessie, you saved my life. So templates are not a waste, but helpful.

Ricocrossfire

Level 5 7,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
5. Sep 3, 2010 8:31 AM in response to: Ricocrossfire

I have never used a template.

What is so darned hard about envisioning a printed page? We are writers, so imagining something shouldn't be that hard. In Word Page Setup, you chose the size you want. You set the margins to accommodate headers and footers. You set the font and paragraphs. You've seen printed books. Look at the details not the text.

You SCROLL the document to check if everything is as you want it.

Anyone having problems should check out Walton's book. I've recommended it often and I'm not going hunting for it again. Research is often part of Writing. Do some research of this community.

Mar 8, 2009
6. Sep 3, 2010 4:20 PM in response to: Ninian

Ditto and Cudos, Pam. I think that people with a less developed sense of spacial relationships may have a problem (not saying anyone here has that problem) and templates may help them, but if you know your craft, it shouldn't be that difficult to do it on-the-fly (Not Vincent Price).  Even developing a template for the cover isn't that difficult, but this is not the place to discuss covers.

Seal

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Sep 3, 2010 4:29 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

There is lots of infomation about interior file formatting, from margins, type, headers, and page numbering to instructions on how to format in Word and Open Office in Build Your Book.  98 pages, fully illustrated.  Free for CS members. 

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation

Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book 

Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help

GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Mar 19, 2010
8. Sep 3, 2010 5:42 PM in response to: Ninian

Well if things were easy we woudn't need to use the community now would we. You all can say what you wish, but I am proof they work.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Pen-Pal-ebook/dp/B003VRZKTK/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280873341&sr=1-4

Ricocrossfire

Mar 8, 2009
9. Sep 3, 2010 6:25 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

Nobody is really arguing that point, Rick. we are just saying that templates are not an absolute necessity to successfully complete a project. A little common sense is all that is really needed. Granted, not everyone has the experience many of us have, and will find it easier to use a template, but that doesn't mean they will continue to use them as they become more knowledgable and proficient with their software.

Seal

Mar 19, 2010
10. Sep 3, 2010 6:47 PM in response to: Seal

steve

Well said and point taken

Rich

Level 0 7 posts since
Sep 5, 2010
11. Sep 5, 2010 7:14 PM in response to: Ricocrossfire

Hi, brand new to all this - was getting ready to publish on Lulu because that's all I knew but searching led me here which looks a little better. I prepared my book for Lulu's A5 size -- assuming I can just adjust the page size a little, check pagination and I'm ready to go, yes?

Does anyone know if CS will accept a PDF created with CutePDF? Lulu would not accept that, so I'm thinking not all PDF creators are equal. I'm on a PC with Windows XP.

thanks!

Level 0 7 posts since
Sep 5, 2010
12. Sep 5, 2010 7:23 PM in response to: desertdune

sorry - I should have been a little more specific. Lulu's A5 is of slightly different dimensions from CS's 5.25 x 8

Level 1 436 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
13. Sep 6, 2010 1:57 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hi people. This is my first post, and my question may get me pelted with eggs, but: Why right justify? Are all books right justified? My point is the extra spacing between words—and sometimes that spacing is massive—is much more likely to pull me out of the story and remind me  that I am reading (thus destroying total reader emersion in the story) than a jagged right edge on the text. Sure, it looks prettier from a distance, but those extra spaces between words are what you notice when actually reading, not the pretty, straight edge on the right side of the text. Is that pretty, straight edge so important to be worth the massive spacing between words that sometimes results? Is it acceptable not to right justify, or is it a mortal sin?

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
14. Sep 6, 2010 1:00 PM in response to: Z0az09

Take a look at Build Your Book , it has a section on type and page layout. It's free.

There is no reason you can't set type ragged right, or ragged left, cetnered, etc. Except one: your reader has an expectation of how a book looks.  If you deviate from tradition, be aware that you will put your reader on guard; and he will be less forgiving if other things are off.

I have measured and catalogued hundreds of books--page counts, page size, margins, etc. All novels were fully justified.  However, manuals, guides, textbooks, etc., are often set ragged right, and look great. The added air makes the pages more welcoming and easier to read for comprehension.

As for spacing, if you permit end-of-line hyphenation, your letter and word spacing will be much better.  You can also selectively compress words, lines, and paragraphs to assist in making a good looking page.

Finally, some type faces are non-proportional (courier, for example, "i" takes up as much space as "o"). Some are proportional, but are fairly wide and won't fit tightly (Verdana). Others are designed to fit nicely without compressing (Garamond, Caslon, TNR).

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation

Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book 

Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help

GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...