Skip navigation
253,392 Views 356 Replies Last post: Dec 4, 2017 1:11 PM by walton RSS
  1 2 3 ... 24 Previous Next
CreateSpaceLee Representative 55 posts since
Oct 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 17, 2010 11:58 AM

You Asked... We Listened - CreateSpace Now Offers Interior Templates for Books

We are happy to introduce a new beta offering: interior file templates for books. To help you format your book's black-and-white interior to the CreateSpace Submission Requirements, you can now choose your preferred interior template from a variety of standard trim sizes. All of the templates have been set to accommodate your desired page size with the correct accompanying margins. You can select a basic blank template or a template with a formatted interior layout, complete with guidance for front matter and chapter layout.

As you start formatting your book, be sure to read some of our helpful articles in Resources about choosing a trim size, converting your document to a PDF for print, and common file specification challenges.

We hope these templates are helpful! Check out this new beta offering and provide your feedback.

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
1. Nov 17, 2010 12:30 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee
Re: You Asked... We Listened - CreateSpace Now Offers Interior Templates for Books

I like this move. My only suggestion is to add two empty pages at the end, otherwise very nice. Big help. Do you have a link where anyone can find them?

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 30, 2010
2. Dec 3, 2010 2:47 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee
Re: You Asked... We Listened - CreateSpace Now Offers Interior Templates for Books

Hi . . . this Template is excellent thank you!

Question 1:

How can I add page numbers to subchapter headings?

Question 2:

Some subchapter headings a longer than one line space permits.  How can I indent the second line of a subchapter heading?

The template does not permit me to add subchapter page numbering or permit indenting subchapter headings.

Level 0 2 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
3. Dec 17, 2010 9:42 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee
Re: Question About Trim Size

Hi,

I'm working on my first book.  Going to use the 8"x10" trim size.  I'm working with MS Word.

I downloaded a couple of the templates and saw that regardless of the trim size all the templates are 8.5"x11.00" paper size.

I thought the trim size was supposed to be the same as the paper size.

If anyone can clarify this it will be appreciated. Thanks and Seasons Greetings to the community!

Joanne

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Dec 17, 2010 10:36 AM in response to: Jo42

You probably downloaded an 8 x 10 template for an 8.5 x 11 sheet. You want to look for trim size or paper size.

You can find instructions for setting your own margins on whatever trim size you have in Build Your Book. It's free.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation

Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book 

Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help

GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 4 1,483 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
5. Dec 17, 2010 11:51 AM in response to: Jo42

Go into (Page Setup) and select the (Paper Tab) Insert 8" Width and 10" hieght. then click ok. Now your trim size is set.

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 0 460 posts since
Nov 9, 2009
6. Dec 18, 2010 8:25 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

Will anyone make my life easier for Christmas by walking me through using a template, please?

And which one of the new CS templates should I use? I did have inserted pics behind the Chapter headings: Chapter 1, Chaper 2, etc.

Can I still use them with the new templates--some will have to be reinserted but other chapters are not rewritten so I can use what's there still. But will they still be inserted if I just copy and paste those chapters?

And what about headers and footers? Do I use the template's examples or my own?

And finally, one of the template is only 10 chapters long--how do I continue it for however many more I need?

I loathe doing this myself, but there you are. I have no choice other than to forget about doing the Second Edition.

Thank whoever takes the time to answer me.

For everyone in the Community Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Renee [no longer 82-24 but simply 83 as of this past Monday!] 

Level 2 227 posts since
May 2, 2010
7. Dec 18, 2010 9:08 AM in response to: 82-24

I think the templates are going to be great.

Question... the exterior of my book is 5X8

(actual physical measurement.)

Which template should I use?

Thanks

Mac

Level 5 7,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
8. Dec 18, 2010 9:46 AM in response to: AnotherMac

An excellent move by CS but, after reading this thread, I'm glad I learned to do it the hard way from scratch. I think I'll stick with doing it that way.

Pam

Level 1 136 posts since
Aug 3, 2009
9. Jan 7, 2011 5:19 PM in response to: Jo42

Trim size is relative to the size of your book 5x8, 6x9. Paper size can be set to trim size to allow you to see the page as it will appear in the book, but will cause you issues if you try to print a copy from your printer, unless you actually have paper that is 5x8 or 6x9 etc.

I set my paper size to the 5x8 and then use mirrored margins so that the pages set up for the alternating margins.

There are other ways to accomplish the same thing, but with WORD this has always worked well for me.

Hope this helps!

http://lindaraeblair.vpweb.com

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 12, 2011
10. Mar 12, 2011 7:12 PM in response to: walton

HI Walton, I am new to CS. I have a very specific design in mind for my book cover and i noticed your note regarding graphic design. Can you tell me more?

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Mar 12, 2011 7:45 PM in response to: Misturafina

Check your PM's.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
12. Mar 16, 2011 11:35 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I chose one of your formats. I chose 6x9 formatted template. However when I clicked on that I see a format that I can't read. How do I change it to something I cna read?

Level 0 12 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
13. Mar 17, 2011 8:49 AM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I had a poor experience with this interior template createspace format because when transferring their set format over to kindle it came up very poor in quality, when I ask them about it they told me I could now Pay them to fix this problem and they would then put up something that would look better or go in and try my hand at programing the changes in myself. I must have missed something because everything to this point has been perfect, I was really suprised at this one, anybody else have this problem?

Shaman Ziggy

Level 0 5 posts since
Aug 11, 2010
14. Mar 19, 2011 11:43 PM in response to: CreateSpaceLee

I am trying to figure out which pages will be on what side. For example, in most books, page one is on the right side, then you turn the page, and you see pages two and three. I want to format my book layout to come out like that. with the template, there is no way to tell, I guess. Is this how they are layed out, or how they will end up? Or can I add an extra blank page to the beginning to fix this? Thanks!

Crystal D. Wireman

"Eventually, Everyone Gets Better at Crash Landing."

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 24 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...