Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
4,843 Views 30 Replies Last post: Aug 21, 2017 7:23 AM by Dragonish RSS Go to original post
Level 5 5,600 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
15. Jul 18, 2017 12:40 AM in response to: reffort
Re: Latest info re: putting 'own ISBN' on book cover

reffort wrote:

Does this mean that a 'Createspace ISBN number' would automatically be added?  OR

That Createspace will automatically add their generated version of my UK Neilsen barcode?? (probably not!)

Possibly both.

This answer is a little confusing.

If you already have an ISBN (as the OP said they do), then CS will not assign their own ISBN.. CS will generate a barcode from the ISBN assigned to the project (in this case, a Neilsen ISBN the OP owns) and place that on the lower right-hand corner of the back cover.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
16. Jul 18, 2017 5:22 AM in response to: Seisa

It seems that your browser must have omitted the second paragraph of my response.  For convenience, I've reproduced my post unedited and in its entirety below:

Possibly both.

Customer-provided ISBNs are still OK per the specification, but if the customer doesn't provide one during the project setup, CS will assign a free one or sell a "Custom Universal" ISBN (I think this is probably US residents only).  The bar code on the back cover would be generated from the ISBN assigned to the project.

I am not sure how that differs from your second paragraph (which displays just fine with Firefox).

Level 5 5,600 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
17. Jul 18, 2017 6:04 AM in response to: reffort

No, I saw it. But answering "possily both" was not really correct in relation to what you quoted. That was the part that I was clarifying for the OP's benefit. There is no case in which both of those statements would be true simultaneously. (CS will not assign their own ISBN AND also use the publisher's own ISBN at the same time. It would never be both.)

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
18. Jul 18, 2017 11:16 AM in response to: Seisa

I think I see what you are getting at.  I do not know which path the OP or anyone else will ultimately take; that is why I provided an answer that is complete, as far as I know, and addresses both customer-supplied and CS-supplied ISBNs.

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
19. Jul 19, 2017 10:36 AM in response to: reffort

Like so many things in the CS world, this is hard to test.  It sounds erratic . . . they will always put the barcode where they want it if there is none on the book, but moving or replacing an existing barcode, yes? no? maybe?

I've done tests where CS does exactly what I suspect they should in a given circumstance, but when I repeat the test, another reviewer does not.  Which is right?

W

Level 4 1,539 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
20. Jul 19, 2017 6:51 PM in response to: Dragonish

Hi All,

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but as a provider of barcodes, and as bookow was mentioned in the opening post, I felt that I should weigh in.

We've been aware for some time that CreateSpace was sometimes replacing barcodes (not ISBNs) with its own. It seemed to be on an ad hoc basis, as some people were reporting that their own barcodes, whether from bookow.com or from Bowker or other sources, were retained, and others saying that replacements had been made.

There had been no official statement on CreateSpace's policy, but now we know it's in the PDF Submission Specification (thanks Reffort!). Despite that, the policy seems to be applied inconsistently.

I've contacted CreateSpace about this, as their barcodes don't adhere to the ISBN specifications. Specifically, the human-readable ISBN placed above the barcode is supposed to have the elements separated by spaces or hyphens, and they don't. At least, they didn't last time I saw one. That doesn't prevent them from being scanned, but it does indicate a surprising lack of awareness, or a flagrant disregard of the standards. I'm waiting for a reply from CreateSpace.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 7, 2016
22. Jul 20, 2017 6:54 PM in response to: Dragonish

I just received a proof and noticed that the bar code isn't the one I provided in the cover file. The last book we published used our bar code. I called CS, and after talking to three people was told that they changed their policy last August to always substitute their bar code. This is frustrating because 1) their bar code doesn't look as good as ours, and 2) books printed by CS won't match ones we have printed elsewhere. There doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it. I suggested that they should only replace it if the quality is poor, and he said he would pass along my feedback, for whatever that's worth.

We used our own ISBN, so they create the code from the ISBN I gave them. At least they placed it in the correct location on the back cover where I had put the original one, and didn't change the size of the white rectangle, which is 1" x 1.75".

Level 5 5,703 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
23. Jul 20, 2017 7:27 PM in response to: mdt_cwp

The issue I have with this is that the default CS barcodes do not meet the standard. The text based ISBN's are incorrect and they do not allow for a price code. Nothing like forcing your customers to make their books more amateur than necessary. Just one more reason to look at moving the remaining titles elsewhere.

Mar 10, 2012
24. Jul 20, 2017 9:40 PM in response to: R.C.

It's interesting yet not surprising that the CS PDF Spec now states that they will autmatically add a barcode (and replace custom barcodes) but the Website Specs still say

Barcode

When your files go through the review process, our system will place your ISBN barcode in a 2" by 1.2" white box in the lower right-hand corner of your book's back cover. Our standard trim size templates will show you exact barcode placement.

Images or text in the barcode location will be covered when the book is printed. Make sure no important elements appear where the barcode will be placed.

If you choose to provide and place your own barcode, be sure it is a high-resolution image. The barcode can be located on the back or front cover of your book, at a recommended size of 2" wide by 1.2" tall. You are welcome to add an additional UPC barcode for distribution purposes if applicable.

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
25. Jul 21, 2017 1:49 PM in response to: R.C.

R.C. wrote:

The odd part is that it is not all books being replaced. My most recent still has the custom barcode on the cover. I don't know if they are replacing only those with issues or perhaps only those that are reviewed by specific reviewers but it is not consistent.

Looking at your most recent title on Amazon, ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/0987995871 ) the back cover shown in the "Look Inside" does indeed have the replacement barcode.  That book was published about two years ago, so I'm guessing you recently tweaked either the cover or interior and the barcode was replaced at that time.  That happened to one of mine when I tweaked the interior file and the barcode on the cover was replaced (I haven't touched the cover since last year).  I uploaded that interior on April 23 and the book was printed at Amazon/Lexington on April 30.  I didn't notice the change on that one at all until I went looking for the new barcodes.

The previous cover with your custom barcode is still shown in the product image ( https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/713%2BwR%2BY3TL.jpg ).

Mar 10, 2012
26. Jul 21, 2017 2:09 PM in response to: reffort

Interesting, this was tweaked with an edit just over a month ago and my order at that time came with the original custom barcode with the properly hyphenated ISBN listed. (I just double checked the last 2 books I still have).

I see the look inside on Amazon shows a CS barcode however the back cover image on Amazon shows my custom barcode. I'll have to be sure to double check my next order.

Mar 10, 2012
27. Jul 23, 2017 8:57 PM in response to: R.C.

Interestingly enough, after looking into this a little deeper I have found the following:

The member agreement states:

For each Title you set up, you will send the applicable Content and Descriptive Materials at your own expense and in accordance with the Submission Requirements (which we may update from time to time), via electronic upload for written Titles and in hard copy physical format for video Titles (each such instance of Content, a "Source Copy"). You will at all times retain legal title to your Source Copies.

The Submission Requirements link above links to the requirement for a PDF Cover here:

Nowhere in the members agreement does the spec link to the PDF file that CS has changed

And the section on barcodes that is linked and relevant from the member agreement reads as follows:

If you choose to provide and place your own barcode, be sure it is a high-resolution image. The barcode can be located on the back or front cover of your book, at a recommended size of 2" wide by 1.2" tall. You are welcome to add an additional UPC barcode for distribution purposes if applicable.

Granted, there is plenty of leagalize that protects CS in these cases within the members agreemet, however if they wish to outline a true spec for customers they should at least make sure the one listed in the actual contract is correct.

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
28. Jul 24, 2017 9:11 AM in response to: Dragonish

I was shocked to encounter this issue, and, frankly in disbelief.  I contacted CustomerSupport, not always reliable, but this is their answer:

Please know that we automatically add barcodes to your book cover during the file review process after you upload and submit your files within your account.

Our system will place the ISBN barcode in a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall. The bottom of this barcode is located 1/4" up from the bottom trim line of the cover. The right side of the barcode is located 1/4" to the left of the spine.

If you wish to include a price embedded barcode on your book cover you will need to generate the barcode specified as per our submission requirement and place it on the cover artwork before submission. We will then print your Cover with the replkaced barcode and with the price information as well.

While designing your book cover, please adjust the back cover so that no images or text that is intended to be viewable are placed in this location and allow a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall for the barcode placement.

I remained shocked!

My query was:

Your latest(05.19.17) "PDF Submission Specifications" guide says (page 63):

. . . we will automatically add a high resolution and appropriately-sized barcode . . . We do not add or embed a price in the bar codes . . .

1) Does this mean that a good, high resolution barcode placed correctly on a cover PDF prior to being uploaded will be automatically replaced?

2) If it is automatically replaced, but the CS added barcode does not include a price barcode, how do we include the price barcode if we need it?

Walton

Level 1 239 posts since
Oct 6, 2014
29. Jul 24, 2017 9:37 AM in response to: R.C.

R.C. wrote:

. . .

Granted, there is plenty of leagalize that protects CS in these cases within the members agreemet, however if they wish to outline a true spec for customers they should at least make sure the one listed in the actual contract is correct.

Wow. I'd go further than that. If I were a customer appealing an adverse action to upper levels of management, I'd take the position that as the members agreement is the actual contract, CS is obliged to follow it. You have shown that the instruction for replacing a standard barcode provided by the customer isn't incorporated by reference into the members agreement.

The customer has no ability to negotiate the terms of the members agreement, which makes it an adhesion contract. That doesn't relieve CS of the obligation to follow terms that it has imposed.

Good find.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...