Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
864 Views 5 Replies Last post: Oct 25, 2017 12:32 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2017 3:18 PM

ISBN from africa

Hello,

I am living in the uk but I have a Tunisian citizenship that allows me to get free isbn.

If I use Tunisian isbn, do you think this would affect the distribution channels and the shipping cost for American and European especially?

Thanks,

PS, any information may be very helpful.

Zied

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Jul 19, 2017 4:40 PM in response to: Zizoo
Re: ISBN from africa

The ISBN is a book identifier. It links the title, author, publisher, etc. It will not effect distribution or costs. Whereas, Expanded Distribution ( https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/ExpandedDistribution.jsp ) might effect things.

You might want to repost your question, but change it to somethings like I'm in the UK, how can I facilitate working with CS. There are quite a few people here from Europe. Casting the question with Africa might not get much response.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Jul 19, 2017 4:43 PM in response to: Zizoo

I also don't think there is a Tunisian ISBN Agent . . . maybe there is but I didn't find it listed, maybe I didn't look deep enough.

Walton

Level 4 1,539 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
Level 2 130 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
4. Oct 25, 2017 10:27 AM in response to: Zizoo

ISBN is an International number so where it was issued doesn't matter.  However, following the 978 prefix there is a language code (1 to 3 digits.)  The Tunisian agency probably issues ISBNs with an Arabic or French language code and not English, so it would make more sense for you to get the ISBN from an English speaking country if you reside there.

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Oct 25, 2017 12:32 PM in response to: awin

awin wrote:

ISBN is an International number so where it was issued doesn't matter.

According to the International ISBN Agency:

"All publishers should apply to the appropriate national ISBN agency that is responsible for the country in which they are based."

There are several reasons, one being that in most countries, the publisher is subject to the deposit requirements of the nation whose agency issued the ISBN (for example, providing mandatory printed deposit copies to the Library of Congress for US publishers, or to the British Library for UK publishers). Fulfilling the deposit requirement could be difficult and/or expensive for someone located in another country.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...