Skip navigation
2,219 Views 13 Replies Last post: Dec 13, 2017 8:33 AM by joe.smith RSS
Level 0 14 posts since
Mar 19, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2017 6:00 AM

Is it a good idea to let Kindle create the paperback version?

Kindle has recently started to offer an option where it publishes your ebook into a paperback.  I usually do it the other way round - i.e. publish my paperback on Create Space first, and then follow the wizard to have it turned into a Kindle book.

Does anyone know if there are advantages in publishing it first as a Kindle version, and then letting them publish the book into paperback? For instance, are the royalties that they give the author any higher than those Create Space pays when you publish the paperback first? 

Be very grateful for a steer on this.

Thanks!

Level 2 129 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
1. Jul 20, 2017 6:07 AM in response to: HolisticJohn
Re: Is it a good idea to let Kindle create the paperback version?

HolisticJohn wrote:

Kindle has recently started to offer an option where it publishes your ebook into a paperback.  I usually do it the other way round - i.e. publish my paperback on Create Space first, and then follow the wizard to have it turned into a Kindle book.

Does anyone know if there are advantages in publishing it first as a Kindle version, and then letting them publish the book into paperback? For instance, are the royalties that they give the author any higher than those Create Space pays when you publish the paperback first? 

Be very grateful for a steer on this.

Thanks!

According to the advice often seen in another forum, it's best to do them seperately, eBooks in KDP, paperbacks in Createspace.

(Which is what I do).

Level 5 5,321 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Jul 20, 2017 7:09 AM in response to: HolisticJohn

HolisticJohn wrote:

For instance, are the royalties that they give the author any higher than those Create Space pays when you publish the paperback first?

Nope, they're the same. In addition, KDP Print Beta does not offer proof copies or author discounted copies.

You may also want to check out http://12on14.us/free/cs_vs_kdp_043017.pdf.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 4 2,582 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
3. Jul 20, 2017 3:07 PM in response to: HolisticJohn

It makes no difference. Allowing CreateSpace to create the ebook or allowing KDP to create the paperback are equally poor ideas.

Level 5 19,386 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Jul 20, 2017 3:10 PM in response to: HolisticJohn

A more thorough assessment of KDP Print:

I say the idea stinks, but that's not your fault.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 1 183 posts since
Jul 22, 2016
5. Jul 25, 2017 4:23 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Lorem, why do you say that? I'm currently working on a book that I was considering turning it into an ebook just to see how it goes with ebooks. If neither Createspace nor Kindle is the way to go, what is?

Jan 17, 2010
6. Jul 25, 2017 6:37 PM in response to: beetles_bub

Lorem means that you should stick with CreateSpace for paperbacks and stick with KDP for ebooks. Don't try to do both editions with the same company, because neither one is good for both.

Level 1 183 posts since
Jul 22, 2016
8. Jul 26, 2017 4:07 PM in response to: Seisa

Thanks Seisa. I guess I'm still wondering why? Once a file has been formatted, isn't all the hard work done?

Jan 17, 2010
9. Jul 27, 2017 6:09 PM in response to: beetles_bub

beetles_bub wrote:

Once a file has been formatted, isn't all the hard work done?

Not if you want these two different editions. Formatting for paperback and ebook are two very different animals, if you want to do it properly for both.

Level 0 3 posts since
Jun 26, 2017
10. Jul 30, 2017 7:00 AM in response to: walton

Hey everyone, I'm the new kid on the block, can someone tell me what is a 'bleed'?  Thanks

Level 2 213 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
11. Jul 30, 2017 8:05 AM in response to: SoulFlier

A bleed is when you call for the image to be extended off the page. Because a quarter-inch or so is lost in the final trim, this means you must not include anything vital in the outside (or top and bottom, if you're bleeding in that direction) of the photo.

You must also check off the "bleed" option in the publishing process. And you would be wise to get a physical proof copy to make sure you've done it right.

Because of the subject matter of this thread, I must include my boilerplate comment on KDP paperbacks:

KDP Print Beta was rolled out at the end of September last year. The process was buggy, and it seems to remain so to this day. The quality of the books that actually go on sale is rather low, as you can see by doing a search on Amazon for *Independently published*

Its sole advantage is that the author-publisher gets to see his or her paperback sales on the same page as the Kindle sales. But really, how big an advantage is that? How many seconds does it take, really, to check one's sales on Createspace--ten seconds, thirty seconds?

In exchange, you get that buggy publishing process, no physical proof copy, no discounted author copies for gift or resale, and no distribution to Barnes & Noble or to brick-and-mortar bookstores. (Most small bookstores will, as a favor to a customer and perhaps a small surcharge, order a Createspace or IngramSpark paperback.) If you don't live in the US, the proof copy and author's copies won't be as attractive, because of high shipping costs, but still....

My advice is to stick with CreateSpace with its excellent cover wizard, helpful community forum, and direct-to-author discounted sales. (If you don't live in the US, the physical proof copy and discounted author copies will be less attractive to you.)

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 5 19,386 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
12. Jul 30, 2017 5:02 PM in response to: SoulFlier

Take a look at my free page, link below.  I have glossaries and guides, all free.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 28, 2017
13. Dec 13, 2017 8:33 AM in response to: HolisticJohn

Seems interesting.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...