This discussion is archived
246,544 Views 369 Replies Last post: Dec 8, 2012 6:24 PM by zgrosewc RSS
  1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next
Level 0 31 posts since
Feb 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 2, 2010 12:28 PM

Expanded Distribution Channel

Okay, I signed up the EDC, with the idea to get my book into actual bookstores.

CreateSpace says this:

"Most online retailers, bookstores, and libraries find books through purchasing relationships with large wholesalers. If your book is not listed with these wholesalers, some retailers may not be able to buy your book, even if a customer specifically requests your title. Through the EDC you can make your title available to these wholesalers who in turn make your title available to thousands of online retailers, bookstores, and libraries."

Has anyone actually had success with this system? I heard that since CreateSpace doesn't take unsold books back, most distributors and bookstores don't want to get involved with CreateSpace product? True? No True?

I'm actually good with just having the online sales available, but it would be satisfying to know that the book is on actual store shelves, and that people could just stumble upon it.

- Dana Countryman

My biography of electronic pop music genius, Jean-Jacques Perrey is out NOW!
312 pages, and over 250 photographs.
Interviews with Angelo Badalamenti, Robert Moog, and many more...
Available online, and in select bookstores.

Order online here:
https://www.createspace.com/3489660

Level 1 177 posts since
Oct 3, 2010
1. Dec 10, 2010 8:46 PM in response to: Happymoogman1
Re: Expanded Distribution Channel

If anyone has different experience feel free to jump in, but it is my understanding that self-published authors rarely see their books sold in bookstores, and when they do it's usually an independent bookstore that the author visited personally. My reason for signing up for EDC is not any great hope that bookstores will put my book on the shelves, but rather that if someone does go to a bookstore and asks about one of my books, they'll at least be able to special order it for them.

Level 0 4 posts since
Aug 12, 2010
2. Jan 7, 2011 4:59 AM in response to: Happymoogman1

I’m new to this.  I just got my first book in createspace and amazon.  It’s a regional local interest fishing book so I’m not planning of leaving my day time job. I signed up for the Expanded Disruption. I know I have to contact the local sporting good and book stores.  Question is: What links do use to direct these local stores too to order the book and get their discount?

Level 5 7,447 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
3. Jan 7, 2011 6:40 AM in response to: Master_Chief

Your eStore is probably the best place.

Copied from another thread, by Michelle:

The link to your e-store is: http://createspace.com/XXXXXXX (replace the Xs with the title number as shown in your account dashboard).

Then you can paste this link anywhere you like on your website.

Good luck!

Pam

Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
4. Jan 7, 2011 7:04 AM in response to: Happymoogman1

So basically you're paying 39.00 to still do all the footwork? I was planning on joining the EDC with my upcoming book, but if it doesn't actually get your books into the stores or libraries on it's own, I don't see the point. Being a newb at writing books, the likelihood of any bookstore wanting to stock my books is pretty slim. I'm a bit disappointed with reading this thread. =/

Feb 1, 2008
5. Jan 7, 2011 7:09 AM in response to: TallSwede

But EDC does get your book on Amazon sites in other countries, and on several on-line places like Barnes & Noble.

Pam

Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
6. Jan 7, 2011 7:13 AM in response to: Ninian

In other countries is good, but I heard you can only get it on Barnes and Noble if it's in Kindle format. Mine isn't as of yet.

Feb 1, 2008
7. Jan 7, 2011 7:15 AM in response to: TallSwede
Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
8. Jan 7, 2011 7:17 AM in response to: Ninian

Are those books that were created here?

Feb 1, 2008
9. Jan 7, 2011 7:22 AM in response to: TallSwede

Yes, with Pro Plan and EDC activated.

You might also take a look at Smashwords. They are the people who created my Kindles.

Pam

Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
10. Jan 7, 2011 7:28 AM in response to: Ninian

The pro plan aye? How much does that cost on top of the 39.00 for EDC? I'll have to check out this "smashwords that you mentioned. Never heard of that. I couldn't even do the formatting of my book for regular book form let alone for Kindle. =/

Feb 1, 2008
11. Jan 7, 2011 7:35 AM in response to: TallSwede

The $39 covers Pro Plan and EDC.

Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/ offers a digital platform for books to be downloaded on most gadgets like Nook and Kindle. You can pick the ones you want.

I'm a dunce when it comes to formatting anything but SMW has a file you can download to take you step by step to reformat your book. I found it easy to follow and had no trouble uploading my books to them. I also found Mark Coker easy to deal with.

Pam

Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
12. Jan 7, 2011 8:17 AM in response to: Ninian

Just checked out smashwords...not sure but can I upload a book I have uploaded here? Or is that not acceptable?

Feb 1, 2008
13. Jan 7, 2011 8:19 AM in response to: TallSwede

Yes. My books were printed here first and then placed on Smashwords.

Pam

Level 1 202 posts since
Jun 10, 2010
14. Jan 7, 2011 8:29 AM in response to: Ninian

lol! My daughter noticed a lot of uhm...ya know...THOSE kind of books on there....lol She's a bit worried about me publishing books through a place like that.

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...