Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
857 Views 4 Replies Last post: Nov 19, 2017 1:57 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 10 posts since
Jul 9, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 3, 2017 2:20 PM

Good or bad? Magazine excerpts your book

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's a good thing to give a magazine permission to excerpt your book? In your experience, does the excerpt steal the thunder from your book and reduce sales? Or does the exposure increase sales?

Also, does anyone have experience giving nonexclusive rights for an excerpt to more than one magazine? If so, must the content not overlap between them? I have an unsolicited request from one magazine, but I'd like to find one that's more targeted to my readership. Thank you!

Level 0 1 posts since
Aug 28, 2017
1. Nov 18, 2017 12:39 AM in response to: Smookie
Re: Good or bad? Magazine excerpts your book

Hi there! This issue is always of concern to many authors who are concerned with the fate of their own book and want the number of their readers to grow. On  the other hand, your book will become more popular, as its most  interesting excerpt will be published in a magazine whose readers may  not have been acquainted with your book. This passage can interest the reader to buy a book and read it completely. I think that some kind of additional advertising is unlikely to hurt sales of the book. Otherwise - they can increase. You will never know, if you don't try to do it. As they say, who does not risk, he does not drink champagne. Best regards, http://paperwriter.top/ writer and https://www.upwork.com/ editor.

Level 4 2,939 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Nov 18, 2017 10:25 AM in response to: Smookie

Anyone with half a brain (a qualification that eliminates many) would give their blessing. If a magazine is willing to print an excerpt, I would do a jig in the town square to celebrate the free publicity. It's all upside, no downside.

Level 4 2,939 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
4. Nov 19, 2017 1:57 PM in response to: Smookie

I read the article. I think the author's argument is specious. By her logic, Amazon's Look Inside feature is of questionable value to sales. Take the article with a grain of salt.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...