Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
242,407 Views 773 Replies Last post: Jul 5, 2016 1:36 AM by Seal RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 52 Previous Next
Level 1 41 posts since
Apr 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
45. Jan 23, 2011 6:41 PM in response to: Craela
Re: Hello!  I'm new here. :)

Hi Craela/Kate - I'll take a look at your book. You can find my writer's profile  on www.Amazon.com

Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 24, 2011
46. Jan 24, 2011 9:58 AM in response to: Craela

Hi, I'm new here too!

I am writing a novel, fiction, fantasy to be more precise. It has a didactic end - we need to respect Mother Nature!

Anyone intersted to share views with me?

Princept

Level 0 38 posts since
Jan 23, 2011
47. Jan 24, 2011 2:54 PM in response to: princept

New too.

Just completed a novel - now working on the technical side - PDF etc. so I will be coming here for advice..

The Novel: a romance between a Briish soldier and an Arab girl - 1953 to 1970 - Jerusalem to Nassau,Bahamas.

I'm also on a didactic kick exploring the nature of 'love' and trying to improve on the Eric Segal definition of the emotion.

SEEMS TO BE A NATURAL FOR MUTUAL COOPERATION.

Bomber12.

Level 5 19,154 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
49. Jan 24, 2011 4:14 PM in response to: Bomber12

Take a look at Build Your Book, it will help you take your book from manuscript to book.  In a few weeks, I'll have an expanded 440 page version availble, although the PDF will remain free and will be updated.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 24, 2009
50. Jan 24, 2011 5:22 PM in response to: Craela

I'm on the last bit of working on my book, just editing really, I've gone over it a thousand times. Question, is it easier to have somebody else edit it or for you to go through it first?

Level 3 732 posts since
May 10, 2008
51. Jan 24, 2011 5:26 PM in response to: Josephine5

It's obviously easier for you to have someone else edit your work! But, it's kind of late to find an editor. Just do the best you can and get it uploaded before time runs out.

Level 0 14 posts since
Oct 30, 2010
52. Jan 24, 2011 6:19 PM in response to: Bomber12

Sounds like an interesting story Bomber12. I did a chapter on love in my book (Born Useless) and it was the hardest chapter to write in the book so I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 24, 2011
53. Jan 24, 2011 7:24 PM in response to: Bomber12

Hi Bomber,

How lucky! You have completed your novel! I am still "dragging" on with only 7 Chapters completed out of 12.

Work allows me little time.

I like your theme. Multiculturalism is the word today, and so is unity in diversity. I like the 1950s. The period seems to be so different from our times! Sort of a dreamy romance with (of course) its atrocities! Mine has an early 19th century backdrop with Indian Indentured labour in the wake. Mine is also fantasy and magic. Lots of magic oozing from Nature, and emotion too. I am a lover of Nature.

Yes, I  feel Eric Segal's definition of the emotion is all right. But I am sure you'll go beyond that.

Hope to be able to discuss further on the issue.Wishing you plenty of success

Princept

Level 0 38 posts since
Jan 23, 2011
54. Jan 25, 2011 10:19 AM in response to: princept

Thanks.

I'm  enjoying myself and learning too.

'Anactor33' has already given me an idea for some articles, now that I'm free from 'novelising'.

Yes, I love the 50's and 60's, they were when I went adventuring around the world.

The 40's were scary - I spent a lot of time in bomb-shelters.

I can stretch back to 1933, but there's a golden haze of happy innocece over that decade, and I can't distiguish one Summer from another.

Of course, I'm an unreformed romantic and I like a good rant.

There are too many self-styled 'down-to-earth' people messing up our World with their lack of imagination.

We are in the 'imagination business' and they're trying to take the bread out of our mouths , and the sparkle out of our lives.

Level 0 38 posts since
Jan 23, 2011
55. Jan 26, 2011 12:26 PM in response to: princept

Upon re-reading my last thread to you, I realised that I didn't really respond adequately. Here, to makeup for my sin of omission is a definition of  'love', taken  from my novel: 'Casa Nova' - (New House):

"... Once upon a time, in an earlier letter Vaneshya had quoted William Shakespeare at me. I used this extract, further amplified and corrected, as a starting point:

'Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters, when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove;

O, no! it is an ever fixed mark '

Then came the ancient Greeks ? they were very pragmatic about 'love' and used several words to express the sentiment:

'Agape': a pure self-sacrificing emotion, usually associated with religion.

'Erotic': romantic, sexual, sentimental.

'Philia': Close friendship between all sexes, but not sexual.  It is sometimes called 'Platonic  Love'.

The translators of the King James Bible substituted the Middle English word 'charity' for the Greek and Hebrew expressions denoting a blend of agape, philia and generosity plus the 'self-sacrifice' exemplified in Christ's ministry: 'Love thy neighbour as thy self.'

I avoided completely any consideration of Anglo-Saxon terminology. Even though the word 'love' is of Old English derivation; its other four-letter companions have come into disrepute, over the centuries.

I further conjectured that perhaps in the future, some slick word mechanic would come up with a quick-fix definition of 'love', along the lines of 'never having to apologise to your partner'.

However, this was still the 1960?s; and the Classical interpretations of 'love' were sufficient for me to come to some resolution of the relationship between Vaneshya Al Pyfors and David Grant.

First of all, I kicked my 'Peter Pan Complex' out of the way. He had flown back to 'Never-Never-Land' the moment I opened a bed-room door and saw 'The Smoking Maja'.

Then, I checked my mental listing, and came to the conclusion that my 'love' fitted all  traditional definitions: agape; erotic; philia; and charity; although I did draw the line at making any Christ-like comparisons.

It was then almost straight forward thinking to make a practical, comprehensive, literary resolution of the emotion known as ?love?, as it applied to me and Vaneshya:

"When you love someone more than you love yourself; man, you are 'in love'!"

I was, and still am, not so conceited as to declare that my interprtation of the 'great emotion' was or is relevant for everyone; and I had to admit that Vaneshya had been living nearer to its 'meaning', long before I started using my 'big' head instead of the other; but at least it expressed, and continues to express my feelings towards that 'Arab Bruja.

Later... much, much, much later, I was to discover that as hot eroticism faded; agape, philia and charity strengthened."

Any other readers. Feel free to make your commentary.

Level 0 6 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
56. Jan 26, 2011 3:04 PM in response to: Bomber12

So am I, NEW HERE NOW 1/26/2011 AT 2:52PM

I ENJOYED YOUR BLOG. WELL WRITTEN AND INSIGHTFUL, IT REMINDED ME OF SOME OF MY WRITING. IT STRUCK A CORD OR A CHORD. LOVE IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. BEING GREEK I'M PARTIAL TO THEIR PHILOSOPHY. PETER PAN REMINDS ME OF A SEMINAR I JUST ATTENDED ATTENDED.

i'm in a cleanup mode at the moment and distracted by my submission to Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, that's some hook!

More later,

Kind Regards,

JOHN JUICE

Level 0 9 posts since
Sep 29, 2009
57. Jan 26, 2011 9:13 PM in response to: Craela

Hi there! I think I qualify as a newbie, too. I signed up last year, but have been to busy to really sit down and concentrate long enough to participate. I am just about finished with my third novel, YA Paranormal, and I'd like to get to know more about all this. Now I'm gonna take a look at your preview.  

Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 24, 2011
58. Jan 27, 2011 1:37 AM in response to: Bomber12

Dear Bomber 12,
Where can I get a copy of your book 'Casa Nova' ? Would like to go through it.
No you did not commit a sin by not defining 'love' in your previous mail. But Im glad you  defined it in yout own term. Yes, it all boils down to a 'marriage' of minds and not of bodies; it can never be associated with  physicalities because love can never be 'only' physical. The relationship and bonds of minds transcends everything else, emotions, passions, distances, barriers, even death.
Do we really ever lose those we have loved? They live as long as we live. And this is why the mind rules supreme. It all happens there.
I was happy to read your thought and opinion on the theme. Yes, love is about loving someone more than you love yourself.
And that happens once in a lifetime. The rest of it is a daily routine, not love.

Thanks,
See you soon here.
Princept

Level 0 6 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
59. Jan 27, 2011 9:15 AM in response to: princept

WELL SAID, I ALSO AGREE.

IN HASTE

KIND REGARDS

Actions