Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
243,582 Views 773 Replies Last post: Jul 5, 2016 1:36 AM by Seal RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
60. Jan 28, 2011 7:37 AM in response to: JOHNJUICE
Re: Hello!  I'm new here. :)

Hello Johnjuice,

What are you writing about these days?

Do tell us more about it?

Princept

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 29, 2011
61. Jan 29, 2011 1:05 AM in response to: Craela

WHATS UP PEOPPPLES MY NAMES BEN IM NEW TO FACEBOOK ANY ONE WANNA BE MY FRIEND!!!!

Level 3 732 posts since
May 10, 2008
62. Jan 29, 2011 4:28 AM in response to: ATACKDOGS137

Welcome to CS, Ben. Why are you shouting? Tell us about yourself.

Level 1 51 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
63. Jan 29, 2011 9:26 AM in response to: princept

Hi-

My name is Walt Long, author of "The Travelers" and "The Unauthorized Autobiography of Richard Burns." I have one simple question that will both salve my curiosity and mark me as an idiot, but it's driven me crazy for a very long time, particularly when dealing with agents or contests...what the **** do they mean by "literary?" Isn't every book literary? Does it refer to the quality of the writing, or possibly the style? Or is it just another pretentious term like "don't tell, show" that identifies someone as a serious author?

Level 5 7,447 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
64. Jan 29, 2011 9:43 AM in response to: easywalt

One dictionary gives this example:

Appropriate to literature rather than everyday speech or writing, "When trying to impress someone she spoke in an affected literary style."

I associate Margaret Atwood with literary novels. I can't stand her writing, it's dry, lacking in spark, and boring.

I suspect no POD books would be classed as literary by the traditionally published, so it's a snob thing.

Just my thoughts . . .

Pam

Level 1 51 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
65. Jan 29, 2011 9:49 AM in response to: Ninian

Much as I suspected...a snob thing. I'll give anyone that has a better answer the opportunity to reply before I denounce it forever. So you think POD books couldn't qualify as "literary?" You are aware that a great number of famous writers were self-published.

Level 5 19,168 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
66. Jan 29, 2011 10:20 AM in response to: easywalt

The common distinction between "literary" fiction and all else, is with genres--as if genres are somehow less well written.Moby Dick is one of the great American novels. Is it literary? At this point, yes. But I think Melville was trying to tell a story that would sell. An adventure tale, full of waves and whales, mystery and nature, good and evil.

I think it is an arbitrary distinction and one with actually little real meaning, except convenience. But that convenience is important.

Mystery, genre; suspence thriller, genre; romance, genre; science fiction, genre; speculative fiction, genre; coming of age, genre . . . . can't figure out a genre (with or without an elevated tone) . . . literary. 

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Sep 5, 2009
67. Jan 29, 2011 10:25 AM in response to: easywalt

I can see how it appears to be a snobbery, and it is for many. But if subject matter and style can, in some ways, be categorized in groups like mystery, distopian, speculative fiction, etc., what would you call that category this not one of those?  (It cannot be "pretentious," "boring," "opaque," etc.)

I haven't followed the entire thread. Has someone equated p-o-d with non-literary fiction?

Walton

Level 1 51 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
68. Jan 29, 2011 10:54 AM in response to: walton

I don't think the question was whether POD could qualify as "literary," although it was suggested. The question is: what the heck does it mean? What is "literary fiction," and how does it differ from any other fiction genre? A current Writers Digest (bogus) contest list the categories as "Mainstream/Literary Fiction, Genre Fiction, Memoirs, etc., etc. What exactly is "Literary" Fiction that separates it from any other fiction genre?

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
69. Jan 29, 2011 10:59 AM in response to: easywalt

IMHO literay fiction would be something like Jonathan Livingston Seagull or Chicken Soup for the (you fill in the blank).  Books that cannot really be classified into specific genres.

Seal

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Now that I look at it, perhaps Chicken Soup is a bad example of what I was trying to express.

Message was edited by: Seal

Level 3 732 posts since
May 10, 2008
70. Jan 29, 2011 11:04 AM in response to: easywalt

relating to literature: relating to literature, writing, or the study of literature

formally expressed: typical of literature rather than everyday speech (formal, not collloquialism)

professionally involved with literature: involved with literature or writing as a profession (Free Online Dictionary)

I don't think trade books are considered literary. Literary is more high-brow, educated and articulate.

Sep 5, 2009
71. Jan 29, 2011 11:06 AM in response to: easywalt

Actually the answer is contained in question. Literary fiction is not genre fiction, and you/Writer's Digest listed what genre fiction is.

Most of us, I think, are offended by some of the categories, but as I said above, categories are a convenence, and if we are going to play the game, they are part of it.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 1 51 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
72. Jan 29, 2011 11:23 AM in response to: walton

High brow? And yet Mark Twain's work qualifies as "literary fiction." (Even though he said repeatedly that all his work was biographical). I just referred to the supreme judge, the final and unimpeachable authority on all things...Wikipedia! Their definition is decidedly subjective: "Literary Fiction is a term that has come into common usage since around 1960 to principally to distinguish 'serious fiction.'" Accordingly, then, your work is Literary Fiction if you say it is, and if you take it serously.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
73. Jan 29, 2011 2:50 PM in response to: Ninian

Ninian wrote:

I suspect no POD books would be classed as literary by the traditionally published, so it's a snob thing.

"POD" and "self-published" are not interchangeable terms. Lots of traditional publishers are turning to POD (mostly to revive their back list). Look at all the literary classics (ie. public domain works) that are now being published using POD.

Did you know: Benjamin Franklin published a literary zine? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zines)

Literature is about the content, not the format.

Michelle

------------

bookow.com -- painless book formatting

Sep 5, 2009
74. Jan 29, 2011 3:08 PM in response to: easywalt

Yes, "serious fiction" is the snobbery part. But catagories do serve a function, which most of us as readers benefit.

Writing a good murder mystery is as hard as writing a good science fiction or a good work of serious fiction. If experience doesn't tell us, the infamous bell-shaped curve does: most of it, regardless of type, is junk.

If you take humbrage with the classifications, you're not alone, but as a practical matter, nothing you say or do will make you or anyone else feel any better about it.

For the last 25 years, art in general has been plagued with the "if you call it art, it is art" definition. But for those people who philosophize over the senselessness (or constriction) of the normative . . . don't most have favorite foods, or brands of clothes? 

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...