Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
243,098 Views 773 Replies Last post: Jul 5, 2016 1:36 AM by Seal RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Oct 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
750. Oct 13, 2012 8:46 AM in response to: Craela
Re: Hello!  I'm new here. :)

We have some tips on marketing on our blog. www.mosedpress.com. Also getting book reviews is essestial. Making sure there are no errors in the book is critical given the fact that most books that are self published have errors because of limited staff and resources. Have the proof copy read by five or six different eyes who have a good command of the English language.

Level 0 6 posts since
Jun 26, 2009
751. Oct 13, 2012 9:21 AM in response to: Craela
Re: new psychic horror

pass code "Origin" god333

pass code Seth god666

Sacrifice the series "Origin" :

https://www.createspace.com/3390012

Seth the dead speak "Anti-Christ" :

https://www.createspace.com/3464625

Level 1 29 posts since
Oct 18, 2012
752. Oct 25, 2012 1:48 PM in response to: Craela

Hi! My name is Richard Fore. The paperback and Kindle version of my new  book "Killer Finds His Way" is now available. It's a story about a dog  in an abusive and violent world, and his struggle and journey to find a  way out and find his true self. Great "tale" for all age groups. I hope  to partner with my local Humane Society and do a promotional event to  help them and bring in donations off the sale of each copy. My  createspace Title ID is: 4031852.

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 11, 2009
753. Oct 26, 2012 1:51 PM in response to: Craela

Hello, everyone! I am new here and I am still learning the ropes of this place. My name is Sophia E. DiGonis

and I just re-released my 2nd book, Mysterium,here. I was on Lulu.com previously and I found this place to be more

practical and cheaper. If you would be so kind to tell me some things that I need to know here, please, give any pointers

about creating a link all my publications, I would appreciate it, and how to put my stuff on e-book...thanks again!

Level 0 3 posts since
Aug 7, 2012
754. Oct 26, 2012 2:16 PM in response to: Sdigonis

Hi Sophia.  My name is Tod.  I recently published 444 The Key to the Island.  I included the link so you can see what all I did to promote my book.  Start by creating your createspace webpage if you haven't already.  Next, be sure to create your own website and link to your createspace page.  If you don't want to go to the expense of getting a unique domain name or paying for hosting you can use a free service like weebly.com.  That's what I use for my business and it has worked out great.  They are very easy to use.  Get a paypal account set up and follow the instructions under merchants to create buy now buttons that can be used on your own site.  It will be far more lucrative to buy your books at wholesale and start selling them yourself on your own site.  Of course, you also want to drive traffic to your createspace site because purchases made through Amazon will propell your book higher in the ranks.  Keep in mind that it takes a lot of daily book sales (in the hundreds I think) to get a spot amongst the top 100.  You will have to do all of the marketing for your book to generate sales, so plan on spending a lot of time sending e-mails, putting out Facebook and twitter feeds, etc.  Make sure you ask everyone you know to "like" your book so it shows up on their Facebook page.  Start a pinterest account and use that as well.  Also, consider paying for a book review and entering into contests if you have the funds to do so.  As far as the e-book, you can follow the links provided by Createspace or go directly to KDP.amazon.com and follow thier instructions.  It is free, but you will need to format your book in a special way.  They provide templates, so download them and copy your book into it.  Then, proof, proof, proof!  Especially after you upload the book, be sure to go through page by page on the review to make sure the formatting is correct.  I found many spots where the font changed and wierd things happened that I defitnely had to change.  It was a bit daunting at first, but after lots of reading and following their directions, I got there.  There are plenty of sites that will charge you to do this if you don't want to go through the hassle yourself.  Hope this helps!  Best wishes.

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
755. Oct 26, 2012 2:41 PM in response to: Sdigonis

Try http://www.smashwords if you are using MSWord and have a bit of technical expertise. OR if you are using OpenOffice then you can google  Writer2ePub for a free extension to OpenOffice and then google KindleGen2 that will convert the epub to a Kindle.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
756. Oct 29, 2012 5:12 PM in response to: Seal

Hello,

I'm relatively new here -- been lurking since summer, trying to get a handle on what seems up front to be a really complicated process, not to mention software issues, computer issues, and just plain writing issues! So many of the community discussions have been so helpful and encouraging. I've just submitted a book for review (of course, wanted to change something on the cover 5 minutes later but because of another discussion thread I know I have to wait until after the review!). Discussion threads and messages about all kinds of topics have helped me in every step of the process. It really seems like someone somewhere can solve pretty much any problem! Currently thinking about pricing, but I know there have been discussions of that as well and I'm looking forward to reading through them -- tomorrow. I am so grateful for the generosity and time of the contributors to these discussions -- thank you!

Lydia

Almost done building "Into the Sunlight - Surviving Your Love Affair"

Prism Publishing & Seminars

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 1, 2011
757. Nov 2, 2012 12:39 PM in response to: maryakaz

Hi, I am very New here and I feel I have so much to learn. I published my book in July I have another business and kids to attend so when I have time learn to promote the book. As a graphic designer I was able to do the site, etc, etc. I have some reviews but none in Amazon. I have so many questions, so let's begin.

-Is it very worth it to have your page as a writer in Amazon besides your website? I have the book promoting in another place I recently found "book daily" . I'm wondering if having the page as an author can "hurt" the other promotion or is it going to help?

-How can I get my book review in Amazon? My book is called: The Adventure of Being: Self-Knowledge through life experience and is a self help book.

- When I put the book for review for independent writers, do I have to include the whole book or only few chapters?

That will be all to continue with this exciting journey! Thank you all in advance for your help.

Regards,

Kinsky

Level 1 104 posts since
Sep 16, 2012
758. Nov 2, 2012 3:35 PM in response to: maryakaz

Congrats on nearing your goal.  I jumped in with both feet and no life preserver in September.  The message boards here have been and continue to be an excellent resource. 

I'm learning that many of us experience similar things, like friends who say they want a copy, but don't actually want to buy one, or want one from me, personally, which doesn't help the rankings.   It was definitely helpful to know that was typical and not due to anything I'd done.

I'm getting ready to push the button on number two.  Now that that one's done I'm going to try out this write a novel in a month contest.  Should be fun. 

Best wishes,

Fantasywritergirl

Shadows of Valor

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-of-Valor-ebook/dp/B009R0MWWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351889565&sr=8-1&keywords=shadows+of+valor

The Golden Ship

http://www.amazon.com/The-Golden-Ship-ebook/dp/B009BI7AP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351895624&sr=8-1&keywords=golden+ship

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
759. Nov 2, 2012 3:54 PM in response to: fantasywritergirl

The community forums here are wonderful. I took a few months to read through several of them before I put my toe in the water, but the information is immensely helpful. I'm in the "proof" stage, waiting for the proof to arrive. A little nervous about holding it & looking at it for the first time!

I was able to do the interior files ok, but the cover just defeated me. Trying to learn how to use GIMP, the terminology, the concepts, -- aaagh. I finally just went with the cover templates here at CS & I think the book looks nice, but it's not what I had in mind. I did manage to do it for the Kindle version, but that seemed a lot simpler. Maybe next time.

Good luck with Number Two (and One, of course!)

Lydia

Nervously about to proof "Into the Sunlight -- Surviving Your Love Affair"

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
760. Nov 2, 2012 3:56 PM in response to: fantasywritergirl

NaNoWriMo -- yeah! I did it last year & loved it, doing it again to  kickstart my new book on self-care for human services workers (nurses,  teachers, social workers, first responders, etc.) I'm on day 2 &  managing to meet my daily goal. Found a "Rebels" forum for those who are  not writing a novel.

Level 1 104 posts since
Sep 16, 2012
761. Nov 2, 2012 6:15 PM in response to: maryakaz

Neat, didn't know there were rebels.  I got down 2138 words today, but I'm not sure that what I'm writing is actually novel material.  Ah well, maybe it is.  Can't be sure just yet. 

Good luck with your proof!  When I got my first one back, I thought I'd find one, maybe two little errors.  I bled all over it.  Ran out of flags, and had to resort to pencil markings.  What I learned is that that's what the proofs are for.  Mark em up, circle stuff, scribble and annotate.  No one has to know. 

Level 0 16 posts since
Sep 21, 2012
762. Nov 3, 2012 9:57 AM in response to: fantasywritergirl

Ugh, got my proof. What a crushing blow -- it's seriously a really ugly book. Seemed quite nice digitally, but in actuality it's awful. The interior is marginally ok, except the font is much larger than I expected from printing out pages on my own printer. So it looks like one of those large-type books for people who are visually impaired. The cream paper is thick, like kids' construction paper. And the cover ... oh God. Genuinely, truly awful (I used one of the CS templates). The cover is shiny, not matte, the template design that looked so nice online just looks so crummy and cheesy in person. I'm so sick I can't even stand looking at it. Now I have to go figure out how to re-do the whole thing, starting more or less from scratch. I assume that doing it over with CS's design templates is not ever going to look good, so I guess I'll just have to hand it all over to a pro & pay to have them do it. This is what I did years ago, and came up with a nice-looking book, but of course, it cost. Today I know I got what I paid for, both times. A question that I have is whether I could even get a matte cover from CS at all, regardless of who designs it. I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Is that true? Any advice from the good folks out there?

Thanks in advance.

Lydia

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
763. Nov 3, 2012 10:57 AM in response to: maryakaz

I normally stick with Georgia 12pt for my body text. What font/point size did you use? What software did you use? No matt covers available.  Next time use my templates or RCs template. Either one is WAY better than the CS template. As for the cover, did you use the cover creator or did you do it yourself? How about an image of the cover so we can see how it might be improved.

Seal

Professional Secrets Revealed in

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 1 31 posts since
Oct 20, 2012
764. Nov 3, 2012 11:04 AM in response to: Seal

Hi Seal,
I am working on my cover today and at the first attempt am using CS' s template.

Where can I find yours?

My book is about 80 to 96 pages, I am still formatting and working on the diagrams.

Thanks

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...