Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
8,231 Views 4 Replies Last post: Mar 30, 2011 3:54 PM by Stevebol RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 22, 2011 9:13 PM

How do I make my images have the right dimensions to fit the jewel case and cd?

I have finished designing my cd booklet artwork, but now I have a problem. As I understand, the image size needs to be 2925x1490 pixels. But when I save my artwork as a .jpg it comes out to be 1463x745. Do I need to change the dimensions somehow? If so, how would I do that?

Level 5 12,993 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Jan 22, 2011 10:05 PM in response to: bantar
Re: How do I make my images have the right dimensions to fit the jewel case and cd?

Yes, your artwork must have the correct dimensions.  To best answer the "how to do that" question, it would be beneficial if you could briefly explain what software and process you used to create the booklet art.

A simple solution would be to resample the current .jpg image (essentially turning what is currently one pixel into four), but it's not the ideal solution because it will reduce the quality of the image when printed.  So again, if you can provide some more info you may be able to get specific guidance.

Welcome to the community and best wishes.

Level 5 7,671 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Jan 22, 2011 10:42 PM in response to: bantar
Re: How do I make my images have the right dimensions to fit the jewel case and cd?

It looks like your software is reducing your image by 50% when you save it. What software are you using?

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless book formatting

Level 0 20 posts since
Sep 21, 2007
3. Feb 10, 2011 12:49 PM in response to: lipmag

Not sure if this is still extant, as it were, but no worries if not.

Pixels have a relationship with dimensions. Trouble is, while there is a universal protocol, this can and is easily changed. But, let's stick to what's considered the norm. 300 pixels as a dimension is an inch, but only when the overall DPI (or PPI) is set to 300. So, do load your images again in your image programme, ensure the DPI (or Resolution it may be called ) is set to 300, then, when you use the image dimensions options, it will all tie together as it should. Eg, 6 inches wide by 9 inches high would be 1800 x 2700 pixels. To further confuse things, most progs give priority to the dimensions anyway, no matter the DPI, and on occasions but mainly online, you may be asked to save to these dimensions or others depending on the item, but at 150 dpi, or as low as 72 if purely for online viewing, all you can do is do what they ask. But for items not just for online viewing, then 300 is the norm, there is also the occasion when higher DPI is used, but don't go there unless you need to, 300 is fine for the bulk of stuff done on sites like this. Cheers. Mr B

Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 11, 2010
4. Mar 30, 2011 3:54 PM in response to: bantar

When you open one of the templates it will ask for the dpi setting. Choose 300 dpi. Set it to pixels instead of inches. Everything should go smoothly after that. Save your template as a PSD (photoshop, if that is your program) whlie you're working on it. When you are finished working on the PSD save as a .jpg with the highest quality setting. The dimensions should be right on. The jpg should be about 1-2 MB in size- well under the 6 MB allowed.

300 dpi is what you want for these projects here. 72 dpi is another commonly used setting for many other tasks.

300 and 72 are numbers to remember.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...