This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
6,141 Views 9 Replies Last post: Apr 22, 2011 1:09 PM by at00 RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2011 10:27 AM

Word is creating low res PDFs

I have inserted a 300 dpi image into Word 2010. It looks nice and sharp. When I create a pdf that particular image is bitmapped. Where are the preferences in Word to keep the PDF at 300 dpi?  Thanks in advance!

Heidi

Level 5 9,260 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Feb 10, 2011 10:45 AM in response to: heidiho
Re: Word is creating low res PDFs

Welcome to the community.  If you can answer a few questions, it may help lead to a solution . . .

What software are you using to create the PDF?

What do you mean by "that particular image is bitmapped" (all non-vector objects are bitmapped, so I'm thinking you may really mean something else)?

What is the resolution (dpi) of that image now in the PDF (i.e., what was it reduced to)?

Level 5 14,237 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Feb 10, 2011 11:41 AM in response to: heidiho

In Word 2010, go to File > Optopns > Advanced > Image Size and Qualtity. There you can select what resolution Word uses when it saves a file.

Then, as you mentioned, you have to make adjustments in the PDF window. If you need to try another PDF conversion program there are are quite a few free ones on line. But it sounds like you don't need it.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 5 14,237 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Feb 10, 2011 12:39 PM in response to: heidiho

I've tested three:

Primopdf http://www.primopdf.com

pdf995  http://www.pdf995.com

dopdf   http://www.dopdf.com

Two worked for me, one did not, however, that one worked great for other people.

Also some people like CutePDF.

I've also used OpenOffice. Some people here open their Word files in OO and covert to PDF. Adobe has an online converson site: http://createpdf.adobe.com/

It is my sense that when one of these programs does not work it is due to some software conflict.  My recommendation would try one. If it works great. If it does not, check to see that you didn't downsize by mistake or that the PDF trim/paper size matches your Word file. If you did everything right, don't keep fighting it, try another program. Keep notes as you go--it's a pain in the neck but can be helpful.

Remember if you do anything that might even remotely alter your file, use a copy.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 5 9,260 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
8. Feb 10, 2011 1:23 PM in response to: heidiho

Are you using an extended format like .docx rather than .doc?  If so, you might trying saving the source document in .doc (Word 97-2003) format, then converting to PDF (although if the page layout was created in .docx, saving it to .doc can sometimes cause content to reflow). Images are handled differently in the extended formats than they are in .doc, and are handled differently in the Office 2010 applications than they were in the 2007 suite.  So there are a couple of explanations for the change you related.

Level 1 145 posts since
Sep 23, 2010
9. Apr 22, 2011 1:09 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Thanks for your comments. They helped me, too. I had low res image, (word 2007) and I did like you advised and saved it as word 2003 (with options)

and then used primoPDF (the other ones I tried did not work for me). I still got the same message from CS, but I ordered the proof copy and the images were great! They looked bigger in the real book than in the pdf, but that's okay....

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...