Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
187,520 Views 346 Replies Last post: Aug 29, 2013 6:41 PM by Lourmen RSS
  1 2 3 ... 24 Previous Next
Level 0 100 posts since
Jan 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2011 6:09 PM

I don't appreciate my work being called "horrible"!!!

Hi

I'm giving feedback to people - good, honest feedback but I'm also being rather a good sport about it.

whilst I appreciate honesty, I don't appreciate anyone insulting my work and calling it S****

Emma

Level 5 7,447 posts since
Feb 1, 2008
1. Feb 13, 2011 7:24 PM in response to: Emski
Re: I don't appreciate my work being called "horrible"!!!

That is not constructive criticism nor is it allowed on any writer's forum I've been on. That person would be banned on other sites.

If you have the person's name, report him/her to Support. Even if you don't have the name, I believe CS Support is able to find out who did it.

Good luck!

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
2. Feb 13, 2011 10:28 PM in response to: Emski

Emma,

Without being able to see the review/post you are talking about it is difficult to offer valid advice. While Pam has made a point about reporting the individual, that still leaves the original review/post in limbo for the rest of us to concur or disagree with your evaluation. Now, I am not saying you are unjustified in raising the issue, I am only saying we as a community do not have the opportunity to help you in this matter.

Seal

Level 2 412 posts since
Jan 3, 2011
3. Feb 14, 2011 12:49 AM in response to: Emski

I got a crappy unhelpful "review" via the preview function too. I think someone just has an axe to grind.

Level 2 412 posts since
Jan 3, 2011
5. Feb 14, 2011 1:44 AM in response to: Emski

Anonymous too - maybe createspace should get rid of the ability to leave anonymous preview comments?

Mine was mostly ridiculousness about the formatting - which in a thread I complained about the comments in I linked to the text of Streetcar Named Desire which was formatted the same way. The person was like "I don't even understand what this is - it's not formatted right. It's not a novel or a film script or stage play."

Umm, yeah, no. I get being confused if you've never had to read a play in your life - but if you've never read a play in your life, why preview something that in its description says it's a series of short plays/scenes..?

"I couldn't get through it because it was so confusing."

And of course, topped it off by calling it "a must miss"

Jerk.

Level 3 827 posts since
Nov 27, 2009
6. Feb 14, 2011 2:53 AM in response to: Emski

Hey Emma -

I read the first page, and while it's definitely wordy, it's reads well.  Unfortunately it's 6 a.m and I have to go to work so don't have time to read more, but here are a couple of examples of passages I thought were a bit long:

It soon transpired that that 
someone happened to be Kespian Astoll - 
the name on everyone’s lips.

It just wasn’t possible for a 
mortal to replace a Higher Being nor was it 
feasible.

Will read some more when I get home this afternoon.  Don't let criticism get you down!

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Feb 14, 2011 3:51 AM in response to: Emski

Perhaps someone could

Level 0 279 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
8. Feb 14, 2011 4:15 AM in response to: Emski

Hi Emma,

I feel you here.  This board is supposed to be about constructive feedback, unfortunately a lot of human beings just like to tear things apart.

My first preview was met with an anonymous comment that simply called it "A mess."  I too, like you have an intro to my book, and while some criticized it when I finally put it up.....it's necessary to understand the story and especially the language on my planet.  The preview labeled "a mess" just had the first chapter.  While I hated the mean comment, I can almost understand it based on the fact that the introduction was not there at the time, leaving the audience to figure out the language and  the rest.

But they could have elaborated on it further without being so snide.  Oh well.

Additionally, Emma, I'm a performer in opera and theatre.  I do a lot of local work in the performing arts where I am.  I did an operatic version of my book "Sephro" which I wrote and composed the book and music.  I gathered a cast and director and we put it on in a local theatre for a popular creative works festival.  I got a review on it....and, you want to talk about horrible?  This woman chopped it up to pieces, was not objective at all, and even went as far as to walk out during intermission.  Then she reviews the opera anyway??  How can you review half an opera?  Of course I know a lot of critics, New York ones included, behave this way; but it is unprofessional and unethical.  Critics are supposed to be honest, and if need be, critical; but they have a responsibility to know the full gist of what they're criticizing.

Ok, this got me started, lol.  But hang in there, Emma.  It won't be the first time this happens to you or either of us.  There are a lot of frustrated people out there, many who are actually jealous, or can't create anything out of a wet paper bag.  That's a truism of many of the critics with the worst attitudes.  As for fellow authors, while they may have a lot of talent themselves, sometimes ego gets in the way.  We just have to develop a tough skin, hard as it is, and realize that what they're criticizing has nothing to do with your work; it has to do with their own issues with expressing themselves.  Separating your work from negativity is important.

Just my two cents.  I'd like to read your preview, and I think I will actually.  It sounds interesting!  My book is already out there on Amazon in kindle and paperback.  If you're interested, type "Sephro" under "books" in amazon and it'll come up.

Best to you, Emma, and keep writing!

Craela

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Feb 14, 2011 4:26 AM in response to: walton

(Ok, no coffee and the touch pad was on . . .then the screen said I couldn't edit . . . .)

Maybe someone could post a thread to develop a list of volutary guidelines for a critique group, WIthout a moderator and the fuss and bother of a dedicated site, you won't be able to shoot a violator, but rules (do's and don'ts) can't hurt.

I haven't had good experiences with book clubs and writers' goups, but a set of guiedlines that someone could post or refer to might be helpful.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 0 279 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
10. Feb 14, 2011 4:47 AM in response to: Craela

Hey Emma!

I just read your preview and gave it 4 stars.  There was no place to put comments, so if you don't mind, I'll put them here.

The story is very compelling.  I see the need for the introduction, it gives the story a foundation.  My only snag was, getting through all the information in the first chapter before the scene between Searle and Jeb.  Maybe you could condense that a little, shorten it, basically keep that part simple so that the reader will be able to get to the nitty gritty faster.  Know what I mean?  I was told the same thing about my work.   Anyway, aside from that, all I can think of are the long sentences Terravita mentioned.  Maybe you can shorten them a little too.  Other than this, you have a really cool idea and I'm interested in finding out what happens next.

take care,

Craela

Level 4 1,466 posts since
Mar 19, 2010
11. Feb 14, 2011 5:58 AM in response to: Emski

Writing a novel is an accomplishment. Congratulations on a job well done.

Ricocrossfire

http://www.justaddfictionbooks.com

Level 0 72 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
12. Feb 14, 2011 6:58 AM in response to: Ricocrossfire

Sweetie, critics are everywhere in the writing world.  It's one side of writing we all have to deal with at some stage.  Some people are just very mean and some people think they have the right to critique because of the piles of diplomas and degrees they have stuck up their xxx - but in fact they've never written much of anything unless they were being guided by a text book.  While I do believe as writers we need to keep learning and growing, developing our art, our expression etc., I don't believe you have to listen to all the crap out there.  Which is why I never attend writer's 'workshops' or 'groups' - it's all too pedantic for me - and I don't bother with writer's magazines.  The last one I bought quoted some stuck up editor at some high-fallutin' publishing house as saying "Some people think they can write just because they own a Dell computer.  You don't play the piano unless you take lessons so why would anyone think they can write without studying the art."  Crap off.  I don't particularly give a pansy about reviews, unless it's come from someone who you know is a good teacher (and a good teacher will offer constructive criticism aimed to help you grow and learn, not make you want to wilt and hide), or from a professional appraiser.  I do believe you should have your work appraised before you bring it to the world, mostly for your own sake because the world is a cruel place.  But even then, at the end of the day, it's your story.  If you listen to what everybody has to say about your work, you will go nuts and may never write again.  There's a very good movie starring Sean Connery called 'Finding Forrester'.  It conveys perfectly what 'scholastic criticism' can do to a writer.  Well done for coming this far.

Level 0 279 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
13. Feb 14, 2011 7:18 AM in response to: othawakeseka

I agree.  I don't do workshops either.  I used to do play workshops(I write plays too) but you can get bombarded with so many opinions that it can absolutely drive you crazy.  It's good to get constructive feedback when creating anything....especially from people with experience, but like you said, in the end it's our babies.  One visual artist said to me something I never forgot.  "There comes a time when you just have to sign the painting and put it up on the wall."  Simple, but very true.

Level 2 248 posts since
Nov 28, 2008
14. Feb 14, 2011 7:52 AM in response to: Emski

It's certainly hard not to feel like crap when someone thoughtlessly stomps all over your heart created work.  Some folks find enjoyment in a good cup of coffee, others find pleasure in music, and unfortunately others get their jollies stomping on other people. You're not alone.  We've all been there, whether in regard to writing or elsewhere.  Don't let it discourage you (hard as that feels at the moment).  Take a look at these arrows that have been shot at other writers:

About Robert Frost:

"If it were thought that anything I wrote was influenced by Robert Frost, I would take that particular work of mine, shred it, and flush it down the toilet, hoping not to clog the pipes.

About one of my favorite authors - John Steinbeck:
"I can't read ten pages of Steinbeck without throwing up."

About Edgar Allen Poe

"An enthusiasm for Poe is the mark of a decidedly primitive stage of reflection."

More poison darts here.

Regina

http://www.reginapacelli.com

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 24 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...