Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
43,423 Views 15 Replies Last post: May 4, 2011 6:34 PM by lipmag RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2011 12:25 PM

Best option for HARDCOVER children's book?

Lulu? Lightening Source? Other? The design & layout I've done myself but am looking for best and cheapest way to publish/sell as POD  hardcover - best option? Thanks!

Level 5 15,793 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Mar 22, 2011 12:47 PM in response to: Rblink
Re: Best option for HARDCOVER children's book?

The only problem with LSI is that you will be charged everytime you make a correction, but their distribution is terriffic. Lulu, from what I understand, is good, ask lipmag as she used them extensively.

Seal

Mar 8, 2009
3. Mar 22, 2011 1:08 PM in response to: Rblink

Yeah, the base price (YOUR print cost) is $20. To that you have to add enough to give bookstores a minimum of 40% discount plus your profit. What is the soft cover price through CS? I bet it is around $4 or less, right? Lightning Source isn't going to be much cheaper than Lulu, I think, but having never ventured into hard covers or used LSI I am just guessing.

Seal

Level 5 13,021 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Mar 22, 2011 1:30 PM in response to: Rblink

Welcome to the community.

You'll see economies of scale with a regular printer that specializes in children's hardcover books that aren't possible with print-on-demand services.  For instance, with POD, it doesn't matter whether you're printing 1 book or 1,000 -- the unit cost is the same (and $20 to $30 is not unusual).

With a regular print run, however, the more you print (up to a point), the cheaper it gets per book (dropping the cost to as little as $4 to $6 per unit).  You also get more options regarding paper selection than you do with POD services.  Obviously, this means a very large investment up-front to buy a quantity of books that nets a sunstantial discount from the printer, but if you're confident enough in the title to consider a hardcover edition, it may be worth the investment.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Mar 22, 2011 1:52 PM in response to: Rblink

From CreateSpace:

We now offer hard cover books to authors for wholesale purchase.
The cost to have your book also available to you as hard cover edition is $199.00.

Books with a b&w interior cost .015 per page + the cost of the cover.

Then  add $6.50 for case bound laminate or $8.50 for cloth with dust jacket  cover. Full color interiors cost .15 per page + the above cover charge.

Example: 100 page book with a full color cover and b&w interior

100 x .015 = $1.50 + $8.50 dust jacket = $11.50 each.

100 x .015 = $1.50 + $6.50 case bound laminate = $9.50 each

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Sep 5, 2009
6. Mar 22, 2011 1:57 PM in response to: walton

At 32 pages x $0.15 + $8.50 = $13.30  (Not including the setup fee.)

That's a lot lower than Lulu. But that is the wholesale price to you, and you are the only one who can buy it: at this time, it does not appear that it can be created for any other distribution channel.

Walton

Mar 8, 2009
7. Mar 22, 2011 3:25 PM in response to: walton

It also does not indicate minimum quantities that I saw. Do you suppose they would be willing to do one off?

Seal

Sep 5, 2009
8. Mar 22, 2011 3:31 PM in response to: Seal

It is my understanding you can order 1-1000.  It is, after all, print on demand. The only catches are:

• These are wholesale to the author only
  • They do not enter EDCs
  • There is a $199 one-time setup fee

At least that is how I interpreted the letter.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation Build Your Book free 98 page guide to designing your book Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help  GIMP tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy

Level 5 15,637 posts since
May 4, 2008
9. Mar 22, 2011 3:54 PM in response to: Seal

Seal wrote:

The only problem with LSI is that you will be charged everytime you make a correction, but their distribution is terriffic. Lulu, from what I understand, is good, ask lipmag as she used them extensively.

Seal

I've never used Lulu, so I can't make any comment about them.

I do use Lightning Source, as they are the most cost effective for printing hard cover colour books per unit and at getting worldwide online distribution. However, it costs $105 just in setup fees and a proof copy, and if you need to make revisions it's another $40 per PDF plus $30 for each new proof. There's also a $12 annual cataloguing fee.

From what I've seen on Lulu's website, they don't charge as many (or any) setup fees, because their print costs are much higher (about double or triple the print cost Lightning Source charges).

POD is a difficult option for children's books because people expect a lower price for kids books, whereas POD by nature must demand a higher production cost. I think Lighthouse mentioned economies of scale, where you can bring the cost down via offset printing, but the upfront cost is much greater because you have to print in runs of several thousand copies to achieve the lower unit cost.

e-publishing your kids' book might be a good way to test the market, and if your book becomes popular then look at either an offset run and traditional distribution or POD with Lightning Source, knowing that you can easily recoup the setup fees.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Mar 8, 2009
10. Mar 22, 2011 3:58 PM in response to: lipmag

Michelle,

Thank you for expanding on my limited knowledge of LSI pricing.

Seal

May 4, 2008
11. Mar 22, 2011 4:38 PM in response to: Seal

No probs Seal, if you want copies of their pricing sheets (an account is required to gain access) let me know and I'll email them to you.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 41 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
12. May 4, 2011 5:46 PM in response to: lipmag

Hey Michelle, thanks so much for the info. I am looking to publish my children's book hardcover 8 x 10, 35 pages, full color. I sent Lightning Source an email, but I am impatient! You say the price per book is cost-effective. About how much do you think it'll cost per book? Or how much did you pay per book? According to the CreateSpace hardcover wholesale, it looks like in addition to the $199 set-up fee, it would cost $11.75 per book to print. Do you think Lightning Source would be cheaper than this? Thanks!

May 4, 2008
13. May 4, 2011 6:10 PM in response to: SamanthaTheWriter

Hi Samantha,

Just for the book itself, is $6.00 + $0.10 per page, so you'd be looking at $9.60 each. For this trim size, only case bound is offered for the cover, no dust jackets.

Then add:

- ISBN cost (you have to bring your own, you cannot purchase ISBNs via LSI and there's no freebie option)

- $75 setup fee

- $30 proof

- $12 annual catalogue fee

But, you do get the book into Ingram, which CS will not do with hardcovers. You can also choose your own discount -- anywhere from 20-55% is the norm.

Michelle

----------

Level 0 41 posts since
Mar 28, 2011
14. May 4, 2011 6:17 PM in response to: lipmag

Thanks so so so much for your help and research! I would prefer a different trim size, but since the largest industry standard is 8 x 10, i chose that. I would love a dust jacket, but I'm sure that is much more expensive.

I don't exactly understand what you mean about the discount. Can you explain this further, please?

Would I be able to take my ISBN from CreateSpace and bring it to Lightning Source?

Thanks again!! Your words are appreciated!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...