Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,000 Views 15 Replies Last post: Oct 6, 2017 9:25 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 15 posts since
Jul 24, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2017 11:02 AM

KDP publication

Hello.

I created a book with CreateSpace and it was posted on the Amazon site 4 days ago.

Ten days ago, when I put "approves" my book for publication, I was asked if I wanted to publish it also on KDP. I said yes of course. Since that day, I have this message that appears : "In Process. Your title has been submitted to KDP, but it is not yet published on Kindle "

What should I do at this point? Only wait? How much time left ? It's been over 10 days already. Is this normal or it means I have not followed the steps correctly. Thank you for your reply. Wishing you a good day or a good evening (in Paris it is 8 pm).

Level 5 3,857 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Oct 6, 2017 11:45 AM in response to: Nathaliy
Re: KDP publication

All that CS does is submit the PDF file to KDP - you are the one who has to take the next steps by creating an account at KDP and then going in there and finishing the process.  I, and probably most people here, do not know what happens next because we have never allowed CS to send our books to KDP.  The reason we have never done that is because a PDF very rarely transfers to the Kindle format very well and therefore we create a separate file of our book to submit to KDP.

Good luck getting it figured out.

Dan'l

Level 4 2,928 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
3. Oct 6, 2017 12:37 PM in response to: Nathaliy

Recommend that you check out Building Your Book For Kindle, which is free to download.

Level 1 16 posts since
Apr 22, 2013
4. Oct 6, 2017 12:42 PM in response to: Nathaliy

When I recently uploaded my book  to Createspace I was asked if I wanted to submit my files to KDP for publication, which I allowed them to do. Basically what they did was to send my Cover file to KDP and provide a "Button' on the Creatspace page for me to upload my own file to KDP with a list of files that KDP would accept, which included Word files and a PDF, with a warning that it was better to use a different file than a PDF because they didn't always successfully upload without problems. I used my own Word file to upload and they turned out just fine except for a couple of photos which were missing the descriptive text under the photos. I should mention that I already had an account with KDP and don't know if the upload procedure might be different if one doesn't yet have an account with them.After uploading my files, I did have to go through the publishing procedure at KDP before the process was completed.It might be a good idea to phone Createspace and allow them to walk you through the whole process, which they have done for me before.   

Level 5 3,857 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
6. Oct 6, 2017 1:09 PM in response to: Nathaliy

I too, always upload Word files to KDP.  Please be aware that you do not generally upload the same file for KDP and for print.  Why?  Because Kindle editions do not have page numbers and they also cannot have running headers.  There should be no reference to page numbers at all, no table of contents listing page numbers, etc.

Good luck, again.

Dan'l

Level 3 434 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
8. Oct 6, 2017 2:13 PM in response to: Nathaliy

If you are having CreateSpace forward your interior file to KDP, you cannot remove page numbers. I suspect, but I have not tried it, that KDP has a way to detect page numbers and delete them from the Kindle edition.

If you are uploading a Word (or similar) file to KDP for the Kindle edition, it should be easy to delete page numbers and running heads, if there are any of the latter. Ordinarily running heads are in the header and page numbers are in either the header or footer, so that deleting the page number from one header or footer would delete it from all. Same for running heads unless they are different for each chapter.

Table of contents: for any ebook, a "live" table of contents is preferable. The Kindle processor has some capacity to build one from your chapter titles if it can identify them. "Live" means that clicking on an entry will take the reader to that page.

Level 4 2,928 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
10. Oct 6, 2017 2:32 PM in response to: Nathaliy

It was our

Level 3 434 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
11. Oct 6, 2017 2:57 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

That's what I wanted to