Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
643 Views 4 Replies Last post: Oct 18, 2017 8:17 AM by ElizaBennet RSS
Level 0 19 posts since
Jul 2, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2017 7:46 PM

Whether and how best to include description after title?

Are there any problems or disadvantages to including one or more descriptive phrases in parentheses or brackets immediately after my book's title, so it'll appear that way at Amazon?

I occasionally see this at Amazon, both for self-published books and traditionally published books by major publishers.

For example:

My Book Title (Clean, humorous fiction)

On my CS Member Dashboard Title Setup, is it best to include such a phrase immediately after the title, or better to enter it in the subtitle area, in which case a colon will appear before it, like this:

My Book Title: (Clean, humorous fiction)

But...

the term "Clean, humorous fiction" (or whatever other description I might use) isn't really a part of my title, I don't want it to be a subtitle either, and it doesn't appear on my book's cover.

And if I include that descriptive phrase when I enter my title or subtitle in my CS Member Dashboard Title Setup, do I also need to include it when I register my book's title at Bowker - and also at the U.S. Copyright office?

Please help! Thanks for your thoughts.

Level 5 15,393 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Oct 17, 2017 7:58 PM in response to: ElizaBennet
Re: Whether and how best to include description after title?

Don't add anything to the title field that isn't in the title, subtitle or other cover text. Add the descriptive in the blurb instead.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 12,824 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Oct 18, 2017 6:52 AM in response to: ElizaBennet
Re: Whether and how best to include description after title?

You've already identified two solutions (i.e., making the tagline part of the title or subtitle). There's only one other way I know of.

The Amazon product page typically use this format for series books:

Title: Subtitle (Series name) (Series volume)

So I suppose you could accomplish what you want by entering "Clean, humorous fiction" as the series name, and leaving the volume number field blank.

From a bibliographic and cataloging perspective, none of these solutions is recommended. As lipmag suggested, those fields should only be used for the actual title, subtitle, and series name exactly as they appear in/on the book itself. But if you want your tagline to be listed as indicated on the Amazon product page, then those are the only options.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...