Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
605 Views 8 Replies Last post: Oct 26, 2017 12:51 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 93 posts since
May 31, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2017 11:10 AM

Using the Palm template in Cover Creator

I just saw a video that showed how to use the Palm in CS cover creator. It showed that after the front and back covers were uploaded, CS created a spine with book title and author. Another source I read said that the spine would be some stock color and would not have the title or author's name on it. So what's the truth? Also the video said the front and back covers could be uploaded as jpeg files and did not have to be PDF.

I am working out of Word 2016, (it has a surprising number of design features) but the ***** is I can't load a full print cover template into Word. If anyone knows how. please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Oct 25, 2017 11:40 AM in response to: thestoryguy
Re: Using the Palm template in Cover Creator

Although you can build a cover in Word, it doesn't do things like suppor tlayers, at least with much control,   As I write this I can imagine how to build a cover in Word, with some degree of control.  It would have to be fairly simple, but I could do it.  To explain how . . . asks too much in this forum.

Take a look at Make Your Cover, I show how to build a cover in GIMP . . . okay, GIMP has a learning curve, but I give the screen shots and explanations.  To do a simple cover, first time in GIMP, I'd say, a few hours.

But your post is confusing . . . on the one hand you're talking about CoverCreator, then about using Word.  It don't work that way.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
2. Oct 25, 2017 11:56 AM in response to: thestoryguy

Also, you've been lurking about incubating this question . . .  I get that you're not sure about the whole cover thing, but you need to understand:

• Word is a remarkable program, but it is limited . . . don't build your cover in it . . . if you're asking these questions, you're asking for way more work with less control than if you consider other programs.
  • We can help (check out selfpublishingforum to avoid the spam), but only if we know more: what programs you have, your experience, what you're trying to do.
  • When I teach Photoshop, I suggest a mantra . . . What do I want to do and how do I want to get there.  Answer out loud, in complete sentences. Use it in your workflow.
  • If a full feature graphics program is too much, try OpenOffice Draw.

Walton

Level 1 85 posts since
Mar 26, 2010
3. Oct 25, 2017 12:20 PM in response to: thestoryguy

Hello,

I think I can answer the spine part of your question. Because I am going to be using the palm templete in cover creator and as long as you have the right size front and back cover as a jpg and that it is 300 dpi, then there is a option to do a solid color spine with a simple font. There is also a tick box whether you want your title on your spine to be visable or not.

I hope that I have explained it clearly and I am sorry that I can't help with the second part but I create my cover (front & back) jpg's seperately with serif photoplus and paint.net, so I can use the palm templete in cover creator.

Edited to add: If you look up derek murphy on youtube he may have some videos about making a cover with word, I am sure I saw one called

How to make an ebook cover in Microsoft Word (Part 1), so look for that and hopefully that may be able to help you out a little.

Level 4 2,512 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
5. Oct 25, 2017 1:45 PM in response to: thestoryguy

Walton's cover how-to in GIMP is your salvation.

Sep 5, 2009
6. Oct 26, 2017 10:56 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Hmm . . . salvation . . . sounds like something I could charge for!

W

Level 4 2,512 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
7. Oct 26, 2017 12:37 PM in response to: walton

Otherwise, you're leaving money on the table.

Sep 5, 2009
8. Oct 26, 2017 12:51 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Yes, yes!  I can see it.  A Caribbean cruise . . . or up the Alaskan coast.  All you can eat, 24-hour restaurants, entertainment, ooo ooo, shuffleboard!  Sign me up, now.

W

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...