Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
50,691 Views 39 Replies Last post: Aug 29, 2012 9:59 AM by R.C. RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 2 posts since
Oct 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2011 7:46 AM

The publication date of your book

It would help Createspace authors if, when setting up a title, we had the option of either setting the publication date as the current date OR a date four months in the future.  Some newspapers, magazines and other review sources want to see the book before the publication date.  If the author can order copies of his or her book as soon as it is set up, as they do now, and send out copies to review sources BEFORE it is listed on Amazon as having been published, it would be helpful.

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Jun 24, 2011 8:06 AM in response to: JohnPG
Re: The publication date of your book

I agree.

I can understand why CS wouldn't allow this at set-up (poor planning would result in too many projects missing the release date, and then they and Amazon would have to deal with the fallout) -- but there could be an option to do this on the back end for those of us who print and distribute ARCs (such that we could approve the book for publication, set a release date in the future, get Amazon started on the listing and enable pre-release sales, all while being able to buy/distribute copies ourselves for advanced reviews).  CreateSpace could even stamp those copies as "Review Copy - Not for Resale" (I do).

Maybe someday . . .

Level 0 4 posts since
Feb 8, 2011
2. Jun 24, 2011 8:42 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

How long does it take before Amazon lists approved books ready for sale on their site?

Level 5 12,828 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jun 24, 2011 10:38 AM in response to: writechick

Within 15 days, but it takes several more weeks for all of the listing features (such as "Look Inside") to appear.

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Jun 24, 2011 5:28 PM in response to: JohnPG

I joined Amazon Advantage for this very reason. I don't distribute through them though, so I don't pay them any fees or commissions on sales.

I set up my title via Advantage, allowing pre-orders and all that jazz, and then as the publication date approaches I tell Amazon that books cannot be supplied from the publisher and will now be available via CS or LSI.

I get ARCs printed through a local POD -- you could use Lulu for this, or setup a duplicate title in CS with a free dummy ISBN.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 34 posts since
Sep 13, 2011
5. Oct 6, 2011 6:55 PM in response to: lipmag

Hi Lipmag,

I just approved my proof on a title. Will they give me a chance to review the page on Amazon before the start making it available to see by the public? How do I control that?

May 4, 2008
6. Oct 6, 2011 7:24 PM in response to: InnerVoice

You don't control it or get to preview the listing. It all happens automatically -- and publicly -- over the next three weeks. The only thing you have any real influence over is the book detail you added in your CS title setup. Amazon takes the blurb, bio, pricing and the physical details of the book to create your listing and that's it. CS will also provide Amazon with the cover image and interior for Look Inside the Book. That's usually the last thing to be activated, and you can't control how much or which pages in the book are shown.

You can add images to the "Customer Images" section, and you can start adding tags. But all this happens after the book listing starts being put together. There's also a "Update product description" link which allows you to add editorial reviews. It's also worth signing up to Author Central, where you can add author photos, blog feeds and video. This stuff doesn't show on the book page though.

Michelle

----------

bookow.com -- painless print and ebook formatting, custom cover design, and professional editing services

Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 23, 2010
7. Nov 15, 2011 7:43 PM in response to: lipmag

hi michelle,

i am very interested in having my book listed on Amazon months before the pub date and I need all the information I can use. Your post is the best I've seen on this topic. I am using Createspace to POD a trade paperback. They referred me to Amazon Advantage to list pre-pub but what confuses me is having to ship books to Amazon. Can't they just get them through Createspace? Please advise and thanks so much.

m. berger

May 4, 2008
8. Nov 15, 2011 8:23 PM in response to: writer418

Amazon will still get your books from CreateSpace -- there's no need to ship books at all. It's pretty straightforward: just use the contact link in your Advantage account to inform Amazon that books will not be shipped to their warehouse and they can instead obtain books from CreateSpace. That's it. Advantage will cancel any orders they have placed and wait for the book to become available from CS.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 23, 2010
9. Nov 16, 2011 5:55 AM in response to: lipmag

thank you for the helpful and quick reply....

m. berger

Level 0 7 posts since
Sep 12, 2011
10. Nov 21, 2011 8:07 AM in response to: lipmag

Hi Michelle–

If I want to set up a duplicate title with a dummy ISBN in CS for arcs should I just leave off the original ISBN from copyright page?

Rich

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Nov 21, 2011 8:35 AM in response to: rmsmi

Every project must have it's own, unique, ISBN. You don't have to enable any of the distribution channels (including Amazon and CS).  You can take you book, submit it, order a proof, approve it, then order 100 copies (or whatever number you want) to send out. Until you enable the various distribution channels, the book is available only to you.

You can make a special cover just for the ARCs if you want. Then change it to what you want down the road, in preparation to releasing the book.

Walton

Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 23, 2010
12. Nov 21, 2011 10:02 AM in response to: walton

Another question/concern I've recently encountered: Createspace insists on putting a barcode on my ARC. One advisor told me reviewers might ignore a book with a barcode but I don't see any way around it. Also, I know from personal experience that reviewers WILL review a book with a barcode. Just taking your tempterature on this, Michelle and Walton.

Thanks.

Level 0 7 posts since
Sep 12, 2011
13. Nov 21, 2011 10:50 AM in response to: walton

Thanks Walton. I do understand about each book having a unique ISBN and the ability to print and change whatever we want changed in each book.

My problem is that I want a publication date of January 2012 but want to print some copies before hand. Therefore, I'm making a duplicate book with a dummy ISBN which will, in turn, have a pub date of 2011 but never intended for sale. Does this book need a bar code on the back cover as well? Do I need to take the CS ISBN and make my bar code and place it on the backcover and re-upload?

Thanks

Rich

May 4, 2008
14. Nov 21, 2011 2:04 PM in response to: writer418

writer418 wrote:

Another question/concern I've recently encountered: Createspace insists on putting a barcode on my ARC. One advisor told me reviewers might ignore a book with a barcode but I don't see any way around it. Also, I know from personal experience that reviewers WILL review a book with a barcode. Just taking your tempterature on this, Michelle and Walton.

Thanks.

I never heard this before. How absurd. Even the Big 6 publishers send out ARCs with barcodes (I get them all the time from Random House etc).

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...