Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1,161 Views 11 Replies Last post: Oct 31, 2017 4:39 PM by stevoz RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Apr 20, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2017 2:03 AM

Newbie here with a couple of queries...what on earth am I missing?

Hi there,

Sorry, long post!

I'm totally new to this self-publishing process, so it has been a very steep learning curve for me...at times it's felt more like tackling an overhanging cliff!

I am now finally at the stage where i'm trying to sort my cover out to get it loaded correctly and it's been a nightmare.

My daughter had designed my cover for me on her Photoshop.

I found the page that gave you the formatting options for the cover, filled in the details, 202 pages, B&W, etc...then clicked on the 6 x9 option and followed the link to the cover template, which, rather stupidly I assumed  would give you the correct dimension to work on, otherwise why else would they need to know the other details.

When it went to manual inspection the first cover was turned down because the size was wrong.

Contacted daughter, she went back into her file and said, no, the cover i'm working on says 6 x 9, I've kept all the important work within the bleed line, spine etc, but she tweeked it a bit to make certain it was all contained well within those lines.

So I upload the cover again.

Got turned down again stating wrong size.

Contacted CS, got back mail telling me my cover needed to be x x x size, looked at the drop down options on the cover formatting page again, couldn't find anything that corolated to the size they were quoting.

Messaged CS again to query this, got a reply apologising for the misinformation I'd been given, gave me a another size that my cover should have been.

Again, retuned to the formatting page to make new template, nope...nothing on the drop down menu there, the only option that I could see what to use the 6 x 9 format again.

Decided to phone CS to try and get an answer as I was getting a tad frustrated by now, what on earth were we doing wrong?

Spoke to a very nice lady, though I have to say she spoke rather fast and used a lot of words that went over the top of my head. after 15 mnutes of conversation she said she'd message me the correct measurements to use which she did.

Relayed information to daughter who has now worked on version 6 of the cover and returned it to me last night.

I go into CS and try to load new cover...and nada...zilch... nothing! won't load at all no matter how I try to do it. I've tried different means, re saving the cover.

Am I the only person in the universe who struggles to use this?

I suppose my question is, why when trying to upload the cover to CS, does the drop down menu not corelate to anything I need.

Surely it should just be a case of clicking the 6 x 9 option and with all the other info added it should come out with a correct template size to work on? Otherwise, why bother having that 6 x 9 option and why bother giving you a template to use if it won't be accepted?

P.S. Could also do with a solution as to why it won't upload anything now...before my computer gets launched out the window!

Level 5 5,218 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Oct 26, 2017 2:15 AM in response to: cannasue
Re: Newbie here with a couple of queries...what on earth am I missing?

The templates from https://www.bookow.com/resources.php#cs-cover-template-generator are more precise and reliable. You may want to try one of those.

As to why you can't upload...is your cover PDF under 40 MB? That is the filesize limit. If it's larger than that, the system won't accept it. It doesn't return any error (which is less than helpful), just won't upload.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Oct 26, 2017 10:45 AM in response to: cannasue

I cannot agree  more with Sarah . . . download a free cover template from Bookow.  All you need to know is the trim size, page count, and paper stock (cream or white for black and white books, or white for color books).  All guess work and math skills disappear, as does misinformation.

The only thing I might warn you about is creating PDF using PhotoShop's Save as PDF feature.  First, make a copy of the multi-layered file, and flatten the copy.  Use that file to create the PDF.  If you select PDF/X-1a or PrintQuality the file size will be substantially bigger, and the art will be converted to CMYK from RGB.  Open this PDF in PhotoShop and see how it looks.  Depending on your art, it might be okay, it might not.  Or, use PDF/X-3, which will produce a file about 1/3 to 1/2 the size!  It will not convert RGB to CMYK, generally this is okay, but sometimes there will be surprises.  You can softproof the RGB file in Photoshop View > Proof Colors and View > Gamut Warning.  Another thing you can do is print out the cover, your printer is CMYK.  I recommend using a matte photo paper if you have it. By printing your cover art, you'll see if the shadow detail plugs up (monitors are generally many times too bright to show this), and you'll see if any of the colors cannot print (these are called out-of-gamut).

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 1 66 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
4. Oct 27, 2017 9:31 AM in response to: walton

One possibility as others have pointed out is to use the Bookow template instead of the CS template.

Another is to just create a pdf of the correct size yourself, using the instructions at https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/CoverPDF.jsp.  Takes a bit of calculating, but it's not rocket science and what I always do.

Calculating spine width is important: "pages" means all pages including those that may not be numbered (such as title and copyright pages) as well as blank pages.  So each sheet is 2 pages even if the back is blank.  And if you're using cream colored paper your spine will be a bit thicker than if using white paper.

Make sure the pdf is the exact size to two decimal points, for example 13.01 x 9.25 (this is not the size you need just an example.)  The artwork should go all the way to the edges of the pdf to allow for trimming.

When saving the pdf there's an option to downsample the artwork to fewer dpi (dots per inch).  In my experience if you set it at 300 the file will not be too big.

Centering the spine text is important as is not making the spine text too big.  In my experience you have to leave a little bit more than the allowed .0625 inch space on each side of the spine text.  So if your spine is .500 inch (roughly what your book is but use the exact number) and you subtract .0625 twice you get maximum .375 height for spine letters in theory.  In my experience you're safer using letters maybe .35 inch high max.

Level 4 1,583 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
5. Oct 27, 2017 4:11 PM in response to: cannasue

Hello Cannasue,

For a 6 x 9 book, 202 pages, white paper (did you mean white paper, or cream?), the cover PDF must be 12.7045" wide and 9.25" tall, at 300DPI. For cream paper, the width would be 12.755". For the template generators (either mine or CreateSpace's), you don't really need to know that; you just enter 6 for the width and 9 for the height, or choose 6 x 9, along with the page count and paper type.

What you should do, though, is open the PDF that your daughter produced and confirm the size matches the size I gave in the previous paragraph. Open it in Adobe Reader (free program), hover your mouse cursor in the bottom left corner, and the size will show.

Also, ensure that your content (images, background) goes all the way to the very edges of the template. All the way. To the very edges. I've seen many covers where people left the pink bleed area as is, and placed everything inside the live area.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 0 7 posts since
Oct 29, 2017
7. Oct 31, 2017 4:19 AM in response to: cannasue

I think that is great... Congrats! !!!

I too am new to this whole thing. Waiting for my first poof to come in the mail as well. Not sure if I messed up.

Reding so many pro's and con's to everything.

I also have a question.? I did not put anything on my back cover stating who published my book.

I read so many differant things.  That it didn't matter as long as you had the information on the inside. Some said "use your name," while others said "make up something." so they don't know right away that it is self published. Other's said "leave it blank"????????

So I did... My barcode has the price (I purchased my ISBN and barcode) and I put my name as the publisher inside the book along with my website, as well as printed by createspace. I hope I was correct in what  I did. Any thoughts??????

Level 5 5,218 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
8. Oct 31, 2017 5:11 AM in response to: Hope7

Hope7 wrote:

...as well as printed by createspace.

I would've left that out. That's a clear indication that it's self published, and also may not be true for all copies of the book, since Amazon orders are often printed at an Amazon facility, and EDC orders are printed by third parties.

My barcode has the price (I purchased my ISBN and barcode)...

And CS didn't replace your barcode? That's a bit surprising, given recent notices that they'll replace all publisher-provided barcodes. At any rate, in the future it's not necessary to purchase a barcode. If you want to attempt to place your own instead of letting CS place it for you (and take the chance they won't replace yours with their own), you can get a free barcode from https://www.bookow.com/resources.php#isbn-barcode-generator.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 0 7 posts since
Oct 29, 2017
9. Oct 31, 2017 5:28 AM in response to: Seisa

You know what I just assumed thay used my bar code when I was checking out the cover. It looked very much like mine. But maybe not???? As for putting createspace inside should I go through the whole process again and take it out? I just read somewhere on this message board that many people would word it that way. So thought it was the right thng to do.So many differant idea's from one person to the next. Hard to be a newbie.

I have had other things published by a print on-demand company. However they did all the design and layout. This was my first time doing it myself.

Level 5 19,218 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
10. Oct 31, 2017 4:20 PM in response to: Hope7

Here is the policy regarding putting "CreateSpace" in your book (interior and cover):

CreateSpace is the printer of your book and as such cannot be listed as the publisher.

Can Include:

•   Printed by CreateSpace

•   eStore address (i.e. www.CreateSpace.com/TITLEID)

•   Printed by CreateSpace, An Amazon.com Company

•   CreateSpace, Charleston SC

•   CreateSpace

Cannot Include:

•   Published by CreateSpace

•   Published through CreateSpace

•   Printed by CreateSpace Publishing

•   CreateSpace, LLC

•   CreateSpace Edition

•   CreateSpace Logo

Page 25 PDF Submission Specifications

No matter what we do, CS will replace our barcode with theirs (the ISBN will be the ISBN you enter in the metadata.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 4 1,583 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
11. Oct 31, 2017 4:39 PM in response to: walton

I have some curious news about barcodes, but perhaps you already know this.

If you want the price add-on barcode to include the actual price (not the 90000 "no set price" code), place a bookow (or other) barcode, with price add-on, on your cover, and then the CreateSpace replacement barcode will have the price add-on barcode with the correct price encoded.

This was related to me recently by someone who had done just this, and she was abe to confirm to me that this is what happened.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...