Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
585 Views 4 Replies Last post: Oct 26, 2017 10:02 AM by danwiz RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Oct 14, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2017 3:45 AM

Getting strated with publishing

I know this may sound like a really silly question but this is my 1st children's book and I am just getting started.  I have the script and I have the illustartions.  What do I use to get the text on the illustrations?  When I uload the file, it needs to be a complete file with pictures and text, right? 

Level 5 5,705 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Oct 26, 2017 3:53 AM in response to: TinaC
Re: Getting strated with publishing

What you upload to CreateSpace (optimally as a PDF) must be the complete interior, exactly as you want it to print. Any components you want in the book (title page, copyright, dedication, etc.) you must add.

The best tools to do this would be either desktop publishing software (Adobe InDesign, Quark, Scribus, etc.) or image editing software (Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape, etc.). I've seen people post that they've done it successfullly with MS Word or LibreOffice, but Word tends to downsize images if you don't do it exactly right. LibreOffice seems to have a better track record for dealing with images.

Or you can hire someone who does this type of thing for a living.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 3,991 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Oct 26, 2017 9:22 AM in response to: TinaC

One of the first things you should do is click on the "Books" - "Publish a Trade Paperback" button up in the left corner of the page.  When you get there, you should read and heed every single word under every single tab.  Then, under the "Interior" tab, you should download and save the "CreateSpace Submission Specification"  After you download and save it, you should read it from front to back and then save it for future reference, it is kind of like the Bible here.

Dan'l

Level 4 2,971 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
3. Oct 26, 2017 9:47 AM in response to: danwiz

Read the documentation?! Highly unorthodox, Dan'l.

Level 5 3,991 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
4. Oct 26, 2017 10:02 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Well, yeah, but... who knows, it might actually help!

Dan'l

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...