Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

6,452 Views 14 Replies Last post: Jul 14, 2011 10:42 AM by Shalini_Boland RSS
Level 0 10 posts since
Oct 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2011 4:32 AM

Amazon.co.uk won't let me list my books as 'new'

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how I can get my paperbacks listed on Amazon UK?

I tried going through the EDC, but 7 weeks later and my book's still not listed in the UK.  So then I thought I'd order them myself through Createspace and sell them on .co.uk. But when I went to list them, there's no option to list them as 'new'. You have to list them as 'used'. I really don't want to list them as 'used'.

As an author it's very frustrating not be able to sell my own books. They said I can't list them as 'new' due to 'contractual and business reasons'.

So how on earth can I sell my book? Anybody know?

Thanks!

Level 5 2,906 posts since
May 5, 2009
1. Jun 27, 2011 4:38 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland
Re: Amazon.co.uk won't let me list my books as 'new'

My books do appear with EDC but I have also listed them myself as collectible. It reads 'Collectible - like new. New signed by the author on request'. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0956159206/ref=dp_olp_collectible?ie=UTF8&qid=1309174577&sr=1-1&condition=collectible

May 5, 2009
3. Jun 27, 2011 6:27 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland

Thanks.

Why don't you go to this site http://www.gettextbooks.com/ and type in your ISBN. It will tell you where your book is already listed. This may cheer you up a bit.

Level 1 146 posts since
Feb 4, 2010
5. Jun 27, 2011 9:25 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland

You can also sell as "Used-Like New."  I sold two that way so far.

Kathy, aBASK Publishing

Level 1 10 posts since
Jan 26, 2011
7. Jun 27, 2011 11:37 PM in response to: Shalini_Boland

You can try using lightning source (LSI) in addition to createspace and disable EDC. I think createspace uses LSI anyway for their expanded distribution channel.  But the process involved in setting up your book for LSI is quite involved.  But your book will get listed on .co.uk sooner going through LSI. Good luck!

May 5, 2009
9. Jun 28, 2011 1:55 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland

You could also try Lulu for amazon.co.uk only (if you are in the UK) however for this you will need your own ISBN.

May 5, 2009
11. Jun 28, 2011 3:01 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland

No don't do that (darkened room),the weather is too nice, I'm writing in the garden. Nice sea breeze etc...

Level 1 3 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
13. Jul 14, 2011 10:23 AM in response to: Shalini_Boland

Whilst I personally have an issue with CreateSpace not allowing direct purchase of my books (BOB CURBY) on Amazon.co.uk I think I can help with this question. I found the same problem, because CS will not release the allowance to sell the books on the .co.uk site in the same way it does the .com site, you can only seller as a market place or advantage seller and one of my books had the same snag - "Let Sleeping Lions Lie...." - I couls only list it as USED - COLLECTABLE. I got onto SELLER CENTRAL and asked why I couldn't select 'NEW' and they said it was because none of the big account holder/sellers had selected NEW. I found that unacceptable - but they set the 'NEW' flag 'ON' and I found I could then sell them as new.

My issue is this - if I am the writer, editor, proofer, designer and publisher of the books and CS are only the printers, why can they be allowed to withold the files from the Print on Demand plant at Amazon in the UK. I have asked this question a dozen times and always get the same answer - "Because we don't choose to at this time".

Then today I see one of my books sold, from link on my website and was amazed that CS are going to pay me 1c - yeah you got it 1c - look:

DATE              Title                            Channel                               List         Unit    Qty  Royalty  Status

2011-07-12          Diamond Raiders Expanded Distribution           $12.15           $4.85           1    $0.01    unpaid

Ok I hope I answered your question about getting the flag for NEW activated?  And, well I had to add my own personal 'moan'

All the best,

BOB CURBY

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...