Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,566 Views 11 Replies Last post: Dec 21, 2017 2:38 AM by hmremi05 RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2017 9:08 AM

Is using a Blog to promote my book online enough?

I don't like Facebook or Twitter and have been using my Blog for my new book promotion. I also participate in forums such as this one. Is this enough or do I really need to open a Facebook and Twitter accounts?

Level 5 19,253 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Oct 27, 2017 9:34 AM in response to: seagypsywoman
Re: Is using a Blog to promote my book online enough?

My post was moderated . . . second try . . .

It's really simple . . . other than the people around you (friends and family) who knows about your book?  How do people find out about your book?  Promotion.  (We used to have a saying in advertising, Do you know what happens if you don't promote? Nothing.)  Somehow you have to tell me, and enough others about your book that we start buying it.

Here's a made up numbers game, let's assume you give a talk, do an interview, etc.  People remember enough to do a online search.  They should find your blog before they find an Amazon listing.  Let's say that for every 100 people who hear about your book, 1 goes to your blog.  Let's say for every 100 new visits to your blog, 1 clicks on the link to your Amazon page.  And, finally, let's half of them buy your book. . . you need to reach 20,000 people initially to sell one book.

Exceptions abound . . . you have the only text book on a narrow field, you have the most up-to-date research on a field of interest, etc.. . . you give a talk and sell your book there.

But the general idea, the sense of scale (and I might have been overly optimistic) holds.

My question to you is, what drives people to your blog, from where people learn more about you, your book, and have a link to Amazon?

Walton

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Oct 27, 2017 4:09 PM in response to: seagypsywoman

Unless your blog has a massive audience, no it won't be enough. And if you had a massive audience, you would already know the value of using social media alongside blogging.

Possible future changes at Facebook are making it a less attractive audience, and while I love Facebook and it's worked well for me, I'd recommend for a newbie to start with Twitter and Instagram instead -- keeping in mind the 80/20 rule and that social media is about engagement, not promotion.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 14, 2017
3. Nov 14, 2017 7:21 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

I too am not a fan of social media plaforms, and haven't logged into Facebook in months. But unfortunately social media is where people spend a large amount of their time while online and it can be a good place to get promotion for 'free'. I say 'free' because although you don't have to pay to get a facebook page it can cost you a lot in time to promote stuff which means you have less time for doing the actual writing, so there is a cost to it.

But even with your own blog it is hard to rank a blog in Google search without spending money unless it is for a very niche book, so you would probably have to spend money getting some SEO work done to get your blog to the top of Google which also costs money and time.

Level 3 443 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
4. Nov 18, 2017 4:09 PM in response to: seagypsywoman

I don't think a blog is going to helpful for promoting a first book unless the blog already has a large following and the book has a similar subject.

Some experts, or so-called experts, say that a blog can be used to promote your brand by keeping readers engaged so that they're primed to buy future books. If you set up a blog for this purpose, you can post about your writing process, publish your response to any letters or emails you receive from readers, and comment on other books in the genre or in the topic. IIRC, you can link to your blog from your Amazon author central page and, if you choose, have new blog posts appear automatically on it.

You could set up a Facebook page for the book, or for yourself as an author, and use it in the same way.

I don't see the point of Twitter unless your book has fantastic sales or you are already a celebrity - but I don't see the point of Twitter at all, really.

Level 5 12,830 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Nov 19, 2017 8:54 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

If you don't like Facebook and Twitter, (and aren't using them at all now), then I'd normally suggest that it might take a long time for an author to become effective at utilizing them for book promotion (i.e., there'd be little or no immediate sales impact).

You might be an exception, however. I recognized who you are when I went to your blog, and I suspect that others who sail and read/subscribe to related publications might, too. So for you, opening a Facebook account might be a good idea, and could lead to some contacts and sales that you would not have made otherwise.

As for Twitter, anyone who'd be following you there would surely know about the book already, so I don't think it would help you that much as a sales/promotion tool.

Level 1 71 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
6. Nov 28, 2017 10:24 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

If you already have a blog with a ton of interested readers and your book fills a need or want for those readers, yes a blog is good.  For example, you're one of the top authorities on a nonfiction subject and the book is about that subject.

However, if you've written a book and are creating a blog in the hope of getting buyers, it's probably wasted time.

A while back I read that there are now over a million blogs.  The number is probably even higher now.

Same applies to Facebook or Twitter or anything else.  If you don't have a ton of followers or if your book is of no interest to them, no sale.

Level 5 4,212 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
7. Nov 28, 2017 6:46 PM in response to: awin

awin wrote:

A while back I read that there are now over a million blogs.  The number is probably even higher now.

Interesting point. I did a bit of looking around. It seems your figure is about two orders of magnitude out. The going rate for estimates these days is well over 100 million. At such scales, numbers become a bit meaningless for most people, but you're essentially right - chances of making any headway are close to zero for most unknown starters.

Refs:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-blogs-exist-in-the-world

http://mediakix.com/2017/09/how-many-blogs-are-there-in-the-world/

https://blogging.org/blog/how-many-websites-and-blogs-are-on-the-internet/

Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 6, 2017
8. Dec 6, 2017 1:14 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

I think a blog can be helpfull, but not enough. As many said it before, social medias are also great for promoting.

Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 28, 2017
9. Dec 13, 2017 7:30 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

A Blog can be very useful it is user-friendly and responsive. If you know how to be interesting as blogger, have enough money to order a custom website or skilled to do it yourself, it is one of the best ideas. But if you believe that you can make a site on the free platform and post bits of your texts it would be better to do something else. Check the blog I'm running for my company to understand how it should look like to sale and so forth.

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 12, 2017
10. Dec 13, 2017 12:50 PM in response to: seagypsywoman

I think that Trash Pandas are seriously underrated. That's all.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 9, 2017
11. Dec 21, 2017 2:38 AM in response to: seagypsywoman

I am a very big fan of social media and yes it is a good place to get people interested in whatever you have to offer. If your blog does not have a flow of traffic, it would be pointless marketing it there. My idea is to get your blog on social media and engage an audience with little stories or idea. Get them to subscribe to your blog as well.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...