Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
908 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 2, 2017 12:18 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2017 8:56 AM

Help!  Know just enough to be dangerous!,

Hi!  I am a new author of kids books.  I have one self-published picture book on the market and working on getting my second one done through Create Space.  I'm going to make the cover myself and not use the cover creator, because the templates just seem so plain and boring.  My book will be approx 25 pages and I am going with a 8.5" x 11" book size.  I am worried about getting the trim size correct.  The background picture on the cover will have bleeds on all edges.  Do I need to extend

the edge of the cover on all four sides by 1/8"?  How do I figure out the actual size of the cover?  Thanks for any advice and help!!                 

Level 5 3,860 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Oct 31, 2017 9:42 AM in response to: kardik
Re: Help!  Know just enough to be dangerous!,

For your trim size.  If the book pages themselves HAVE bleed than set up your document so that the page size is 8.625 x 11.25.  If there is no bleed then use page size of 8.5 x 11.

For the cover, the best bet is to go to https://bookow.com/resources.php#createspace-cover-template-generator and input the required information.  A cover template will be created and emailed to you.  This source is what most of us here use for our covers.  The templates provided by CreateSpace have problems.

If you just want to start from scratch and create your very own cover then go HERE and read the information.

Dan'l

Level 5 19,149 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Oct 31, 2017 2:47 PM in response to: kardik

To add a tad to Dan'l answer . . . the Bookow templates include the bleed.  So if you use them correctly, you'll be fine.  If you want to see a step by step guide, take a look at hhttp://www.12on14.us/free/covers_pt1_071917_locked.pdf 30 page guide, free.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 4 1,539 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
3. Oct 31, 2017 3:58 PM in response to: kardik

I have to concur with the others; use a bookow template. You will have to know how to use GIMP or Photoshop or perhaps Scribus or InDesign. Walton has a good guide.

In addition to the utter perfection of the templates, I hear the guy who runs bookow.com is very modest.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Sep 5, 2009
4. Oct 31, 2017 4:05 PM in response to: stevoz

That modesty stuff . . . just rumor.

W

Level 4 2,929 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
5. Oct 31, 2017 6:28 PM in response to: walton

Steve's modesty is second to none.

Sep 5, 2009
6. Nov 1, 2017 11:35 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

"It's huge," as some might say.

W

Level 4 1,539 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
7. Nov 1, 2017 4:50 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

As the great philosopher Roger Moore once said:

Some are blessed with musical ability, others with good looks. Myself, I was blessed with modesty.

Level 4 2,929 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
8. Nov 2, 2017 12:18 PM in response to: walton

walton wrote:

"It's huge," as some might say.

In fact, it's the most tremendous modesty in the history of the world, believe me. That I can tell you.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...