Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,304 Views 10 Replies Last post: Nov 2, 2017 11:12 AM by ThomF RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
Dec 18, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2017 12:36 PM

Total Number of Books Printed

Is it possible to obtain, somewhere on CreateSpace, information on the total number of copies of a book that have been printed? I would like to use this to determine my total distribution, which includes sales on CreateSpace, Amazon, and extended distrubtion PLUS my own sales (copies that I have purchased directly from CreateSpace for sale at book signings and presentations, and copies that I have gifted or otherwise distributed.

Tom

Level 5 15,707 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Nov 1, 2017 1:46 PM in response to: ThomF
Re: Total Number of Books Printed

You'll need to download all your reports and add the totals together. Records of your author purchases can also be found in your dashboard, and you'll need to add those together too.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 3,976 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Nov 1, 2017 1:50 PM in response to: ThomF

Well, you could run a report starting from before you approved the book through today and see how many have been sold - this would include ALL copies except those you ordered through the dashboard.  To get that total, if you have not kept it up to date in a spreadsheet, you'd have to look at every single one of your old orders.  I just did this myself and I noticed that they only have my old orders starting in January 2012 and I approved my first book in 2011 and ordered several copies, so I guess this method  may or may not work for you.

Dan'l

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
4. Nov 1, 2017 3:56 PM in response to: ThomF

From your dashboard, go to "Reports", then "Reports by Product", then choose the date range you want. 

It will give you a breakdown.

Feb 1, 2011
5. Nov 1, 2017 4:16 PM in response to: ThomF

How could they make it any easier than it already is, except for those books purchased by yourself?  You do not earn royalties from those books you purchase yourself anyway.  If you're selling them at bazaars, flea markets, from the trunk of your car and so on, then it goes without saying, that you SHOULD have this information in a spreadsheet anyway.

Dan'l

Feb 1, 2011
7. Nov 1, 2017 5:28 PM in response to: ThomF

Hmmm, I just went to "Dashboard", "View Reports", clicked "Royalty By Title" entered 2011-01-01 as the start date, a date before I approved my first book, and today's date for the end date, hit "Run Report" and can see how many of every title I have has been sold since January 1, 2011.  Took me well under a minute.

I also signed up for a weekly report, so that every Monday morning I have an e-mail telling me how many of each book sold in the previous week.  I don't remember how I set up to receive that and whether there were other options than weekly.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Feb 1, 2011
9. Nov 2, 2017 10:11 AM in response to: ThomF
I just figure it would be helpful if CreateSpace could also provide an  accounting of the total number of books of any title that they print.

Upon thinking it through, that would be nice.  There could be a category labeled "author copies printed" or something like that.  Of course, if you're like me, you give a lot of copies away too, especially ones that end up with dog-eared pages, creased or scratched covers and so on, the kind of stuff that results from carrying books around.  Then, there are also the copies I give to friends and so on.  For me, the "author copies printed" would not give me an accurate picture for "books sold".  How about you?

Dan'l

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...