Skip navigation
637 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 9, 2017 7:32 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 12 posts since
May 26, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2017 2:33 AM

Spineless??

Guys, please could you help me.

Has there been a recent change, at CreateSpace? The cover designer only now appears to offer 'spineless' covers? Is that right?

I helped my father in law publish two books, very nicely, both last year, and this, and in each case the cover designer gave a proper spine (with title and author on it).  But today, logging on, for a new book I am publishing, I see only 'spineless' option.

Does anyone have any information on this topic?

Sincerely,

Howard Smith

Level 5 5,484 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 8, 2017 3:03 AM in response to: smithh
Re: Spineless??

All perfect-bound paperbacks have a spine, even with the minimum 24 pages. But not all have text on that spine. For the Cover Creator, your interior must be at least 131 pages in order for the application to place text on the spine (and you must upload your interior file before the application can know how many pages it is).

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,486 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Nov 8, 2017 8:13 AM in response to: smithh

To pick up from Sarah's answer, if you have more than 100 pages, you can have text, but you have to make the cover.  This is not necessarily as daunting as it might appear.  Take a look at Make Your Cover, snappy title, aye!? . . . 30 pages of step by step screen shots using GIMP (free) as the graphics program.

And, actually all books/magazines (saddle stitched, perfect bound, hard bound, etc.) have a spine.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,486 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Nov 9, 2017 7:32 AM in response to: smithh

As long as we worry about page's per inch or this or that, all sorts of things are issues.  But if you get a template, you just watch the guidelines.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...