Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
832 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 19, 2017 11:48 AM by D.Driver RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2017 10:33 AM

first self-published book

I'm just starting out in self-publishing--I hope--old enough to know back in the days when self-publishing was known as vanity press and the people who made the books made money by selling books to the authors, who then were saddled with pallets of books in the garage and no real chance of selling them. At that time, I had some "real publisher" books published about 1995 by a semi-major publisher of automotive books.history

And there's the rub. Automotive books are heavy on photos, and the reader wants good quality photos. And as a car photographer, I want my photos to look good. And that's one thing I want to know before I start out with CreateSpace. Will CreateSpace make my photos look good?

Level 5 3,978 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 10, 2017 12:45 PM in response to: Illiniwek
Re: first self-published book

IF (big if) you supply them with good quality photos then CS will make them look good.  Most of our books are photo books and we are very pleased with them.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Level 5 4,279 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Nov 10, 2017 5:44 PM in response to: Illiniwek

Yes. No. Those are some responses you might get from asking. Instead, I would go to Amazon and search for:

createspace photo book

or something along those lines, and have a 'Look Inside The Book'.  I would be willing to buy something that comes up and looks similar to what I had in mind, just to see how it looks in the hand. That's my advice.

If you are more serious, put together a test booklet of 24 pages, using your own photography, and see how that prints with CreateSpace (and maybe others). It's not going to cost you much more than a few glasses of latte.

Level 5 19,567 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 11, 2017 6:55 AM in response to: Illiniwek

To add to both answers above . . .

Dan Margulis, a great pre-press guy, author, etc., was giving a great example of using Lab (a color space) to enhance an image.  The process took about 15 minutes.  In passing he said that if he were doing the prepress work for a color ad for a high-end magazine, say Vogue, he might spend 3-4 days on the image.

I strongly support the idea of doing a test book, but I would take advantage of it to also see what sorts of corrections offer the best results.  I would pick 4-6 images and prepare them differently.  Label each one carefully.  What you do today and remember tomorrow you'll forget in a week or two.

For CS, at least, give your images 1-2 weeks for the shadow detail to develop.

As the spam starts to roll in, like some ominous dust cloud in a bad horror movie, I suggest you also post at selfpublishingforum, link below.  Many of us who answer questions here are active there . . . and spam free.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 3 posts since
Aug 13, 2017
5. Nov 19, 2017 11:27 AM in response to: Illiniwek

Hi.

I tried to stay on track back in August, but life happens. I just read your post and see that you are a photographer, so I was going to ask, is there any way to take photographs that you took with a cell phone and make them higher quality?

I hope you don't mind me asking. I am new to this too, and I usually have to learn things the hard way--you know, by making a lot of mistakes and then muddling through to correct those mistakes.

Hope to hear from you--when I tried this back in August, I just sent my Preview out to my FB friends, because I did not see much activity on this site.

Thanks.

Dru

Level 0 3 posts since
Aug 13, 2017
7. Nov 19, 2017 11:48 AM in response to: Illiniwek

No biggie, but thanks.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...