Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
2,744 Views 12 Replies Last post: Apr 8, 2018 3:46 PM by reffort RSS
Level 2 130 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2017 7:41 AM

HTML in description

I know I can use basic HTML in the metadata description, and I do know basic html.  However when I type in <b> bold </b> for example, the html code still shows up (the word doesn't appear in bold.  What am I doing wrong?  Or should I wait and do this in authorcentral once the book is published?

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
1. Nov 16, 2017 8:00 AM in response to: awin
Re: HTML in description

The description is displayed in a text box--it doesn't show any formatting, just the markup you entered.  When displayed on the Amazon page, though, the formatting will take effect.

Before CS pulled the plug on the e-store, you could set up an e-store page and view the formatted html to gain some assurance that the markup worked as intended.

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Nov 16, 2017 3:20 PM in response to: awin

"Limited" is definitely an apt description, but it does allow an easy way to use basic tags (italics and such) and to separate paragraphs.

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 20, 2018
5. Apr 7, 2018 4:00 AM in response to: awin

Hey,

I am stuck a bit with the limited HTML code for my titel. It says I can use <font> (align, color, and face)

But when I try this I get notifications from CS that size and color are invalid ....

This is what I am using for my title before I get the errors:

<font color="orange" size ="2">title</font>

Can someone explain what i am doing wrong and how I should be doing it?

Level 5 5,627 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
6. Apr 7, 2018 5:58 AM in response to: lolo.65

I'm not sure why you're including the title in the Description field. The title will already appear on all retailers' sales pages, so it's redundant to include it in the Description.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 20, 2018
7. Apr 7, 2018 9:33 AM in response to: Seisa

Sarah,

Maybe I have misexpressed myself. I didin't mean "title", I meant a header in the description.

For example:

Features:

• X
  • X
  • X
  • X

I want to try and put "Features" in a color and in a larger lettertype, which is possible according to CS but they keep refusing my "color". this is what I am using as input: <h2><font color="fca207">Features:</font></h2>

Have been struggeling with it for several hours, so any insight would be extremely welcome .

Thanks,

L

Level 5 5,627 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
8. Apr 7, 2018 10:11 AM in response to: lolo.65

If you're hoping to see the result of this HTML in your CS Dashboard, you won't. The HTML will only be applied on retailer websites.

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 20, 2018
9. Apr 7, 2018 11:12 AM in response to: Seisa

That I know and understand. The problem is that when I put my HTML description in and try to save I each time get the notification "The following HTML attributes are invalid: color."

That is what I don't understand and hwy I paste the code I am using. Anyone has had a similar experience and knows what I am doing wrong? i am convinced it's just a small typo or misuse of code according to CS rules, but I can't see it.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
10. Apr 7, 2018 6:59 PM in response to: lolo.65

Maybe the limited HTML requires HTML5 code, in which your syntax is no longer supported. Instead, try something like

<p style="color:red">

Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 20, 2018
11. Apr 7, 2018 11:12 PM in response to: Maaku

Thanks for the reply Maaku but this won't/doesn't work either because CS doesn't allow you to use the style.

You have to use font and color. Based on what you suggested I tried to replace the = with : but it still gives me the "not allowed".

From all what I have read and tried the code I put in, in the previous mail really should work ... but it doesn't Pretty frustrating

Level 3 443 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
12. Apr 8, 2018 3:46 PM in response to: lolo.65

Strangely enough, when I copy the text directly from your post, paste it into the Description box of a test project, and click Save---it works for me.

But according to the info in the CS popup, header tags are not supported (although they were not rejected), so I will suggest trying without them.  Otherwise, I have no suggestions but to review the entire contents for a mismatched angle bracket or some other syntax error.

Here's the contents of the popup box about HTML tags:

Advanced: Using HTML in your Descriptions

While plain text is the preferred format for your description, you can add style and formatting to the description that appears in your selected Sales Channels by using HTML tags. You'll need to use HTML tags to format your description to include any paragraph and line-breaks.

Our customer service team is unable to help with writing HTML. If you get stuck, you should consider a plain text description.

Allowed Tags

Text Style Tags

<b> or <strong>

<i> or <em>

<font> (align, color, and face)

<pre>

<s> or <strike>

<sub>

<sup>

<u>

Formatting Tags

<p>