Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
479 Views 3 Replies Last post: Nov 17, 2017 6:57 AM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 26, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2017 2:59 PM

Your experiences

Hi team on Createspace,

Noah here in Toronto and an author in the making I am ready to publish a memoir that I have been working on recently for a couple of years. And I would appreciate sharing and hearing your experiences working with Createspace.

Appreciate.

Noah Mugenyi, RP

Level 5 4,277 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Nov 16, 2017 5:32 PM in response to: Visitor001
Re: Your experiences

After thinking about this for a moment, here's the one thing I think new CreateSpace authors need to do (though many clearly don't):

Read and understand https://www.createspace.com/ServicesWorkflow/ResourceDownload.do?id=1583

You will save yourself a lot of time, stress and, possibly, money too.

Level 5 3,976 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Nov 16, 2017 5:50 PM in response to: Visitor001

Maaku is SO correct in what he said!  Once you download the PDF Submission Specification and read it, do not then delete it.  Keep it and from time to time check for an update too - that is the bible here.

In addition to that, you should click on the "Books" "Publish a Trade Paperback" link.  It's up above on the left.  Once you get there, you should read everything under every tab.  By doing that, in addition to reading the "bible", you will also save yourself a lot of grief.  You have no idea how many people come here and ask questions like "can I submit books in color to CS", or "what size books does CS do" and many more questions that make it so obvious that they have been too lazy to read the documentation that is offered here.  Then, they get all angry when somebody points out that the information they are asking for is on one of the pages I mentioned.

Anyway...

Dan'l

Level 5 13,065 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Nov 17, 2017 6:57 AM in response to: Visitor001

Visitor001 wrote:

I would appreciate sharing and hearing your experiences working with Createspace.

On the positive side, CreateSpace is the simplest, most direct, and least costly way to make your printed book available for sale on Amazon. They also honor their guarantee (replacing defective books quickly, for example). So for an author who is publishing more as a hobby endeavor than an actual business enterprise, it is a terrific place to start.

On the negative side, CreateSpace can be oddly rigid about certain rules and stated requirements, while at the same time applying those rules and interpreting those requirements with a confusing degree of inconsistency (which is one of the reasons this forum is filled with so many repeat questions, and conflicting answers to those questions). Those of us who are multi-title publishers or publishing services providers have learned to anticipate and manage most of the issues that CreateSpace seems to handle randomly or arbitrarily, but those issues can be very frustrating to an author/self-publisher who is new to all of this and trying to DIY a first book.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...