Skip navigation
677 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 14, 2017 7:02 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 0 20 posts since
Nov 16, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2017 1:16 PM

Will Barnes and Noble.com sell a book without a wholesale discount?

Hi,

I set-up my book Daddy Versus the Squirrels with createspace for the soft cover and with ingramspark.com so that the hard cover will be available at amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com.

I chose to use the wholesale discount with the impression that barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com would not sell it unless I had a discount for them.

The end result, is that I make almost no money from the sale since all the savings goes to wholesale discount.

Since, 1) barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com are NOT buying it wholesale, and 2) since I am the one selling/marketing the book, and not them, I would like to get rid of the wholesale discount.

Does anyone know if barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com will continue to sell the book without the wholesale discount?

Thanks!

Paul Sterman

Author, Daddy Veruses the Squirrels

www.daddyversus.com

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Nov 19, 2017 3:28 PM in response to: Juggernaut122
Re: Will Barnes and Noble.com sell a book without a wholesale discount?

Hi J,

Are they selling it now?  The wholesale discount isn't the only blocker for them.  For example, they don't normally agree to stock books that aren't returnable. 

Stacy

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
3. Dec 14, 2017 9:56 AM in response to: Juggernaut122

Hi Paul,

Yes, they will still sell it on their website regardless.  It's the physical stock thing that requires the discount.

Stacy

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Dec 14, 2017 7:01 PM in response to: Juggernaut122

Juggernaut122 wrote:

Does anyone know if barnesandnoble.com and amazon.com will continue to sell the book without the wholesale discount?

Amazon will sell your book via CS with the automatic 40% discount. BN.com can only get your books via the Expanded Distribution Channels, which require you factor in a 60% discount into your list price.

If you are supplying a brick and mortar BN store directly, you can negotiate the discount, but they will likely want the standard 40% discount.

IngramSpark will allow you to set a minimum discount of 30% in the US and 35% elsewhere.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Dec 14, 2017 7:02 PM in response to: Juggernaut122

Juggernaut122 wrote:

They are selling it on barnesandnoble.com

They said they will also stock it in my local B&N Store when I do my reading.

The book is returnable.

You can only accept returns via IngramSpark -- books are not returnable to CS. Of course, you can accept returns directly if you negotiate with the store manager in advance.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...