Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,058 Views 3 Replies Last post: Nov 24, 2017 9:37 AM by Seisa RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 17, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 21, 2017 11:42 AM

KDP or CreateSpace? Both?

My intent is to publish my book in paper and ebook format, with the intention that both be marketed on Amazon.

I wound up here in CreateSpace and was putting my book together, though not yet submitted nor have I obtained an ISBN yet.

I thought KDP was for the ebook part and CreateSpace was for the paper part.

But just saw KDP site seems to say its not the same, that KDP can do both.

Why the difference? Aren't both Amazon?

Should I just do it all through KDP?

What is the difference?

Thanks.

Level 5 5,629 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 22, 2017 5:06 AM in response to: oralbio
Re: KDP or CreateSpace? Both?

oralbio wrote:

I thought KDP was for the ebook part and CreateSpace was for the paper part.

At this point, most of us still recommend this approach. KDP Print is still in beta mode, and only distributes to Amazon, while CS has Expanded Distribution Channels that will list your book in the Ingram catalogue, the largest book distributor in the US.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 5,629 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
3. Nov 24, 2017 9:37 AM in response to: oralbio
Re: KDP or CreateSpace? Both?

oralbio wrote:

I had started looking at KDP, and it has a question "have you previously published this book on Createspace?" and asks for an ISBN. Do I do that?

If you were to do that, KDP Print would pull your paperback edition from CreateSpace and you could not move it back to CreateSpace. As I noted above, I don't advise this. Just ignore the print option in your KDP Dashboard.

Createspace has in its submission routine sending the book to KDP after I approve the proof (I had to send it back as I'd made glaring 3 AM typos in my back cover). Do I do that?

Again, this is CS sending your print-ready PDF files over to KDP. If you've already set the book up at KDP, you'd end up with two ebook editions on KDP. As I said above, just ignore CS's ebook offer, and KDP Print's paperback offer. That is then using both services, for the product they are actually good at producing.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...