This discussion is archived
926 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 22, 2017 11:13 AM by superVILLAIN RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
Apr 11, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2017 6:41 AM

exact size for bleed on a 8x10

hello!

i'm working on a 8x10 book with full bleed option.  i have passed the online viewer for the book but it gets rejected when i submit my files to createspace?  my question is for a 8x10 black and white 90 page book what is the exact dimensions my pdf file should be?

currently i have the size at 8.25 x 10.25 (.125 for all sides left right top bottom) with the images going all the way to the end of each page.  the rejection notice i get is that the images dont reach the full bleed area?

Level 5 5,657 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 22, 2017 7:01 AM in response to: superVILLAIN
Re: exact size for bleed on a 8x10

CS doesn't accept four-side bleed. They want three-side bleed (top, outside, and bottom). So your page size (and image size) should be 8.125" wide and 10.25" high.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Nov 22, 2017 8:58 AM in response to: superVILLAIN

superVILLAIN wrote:

also any suggestions why i'm passing the online checker but when i submit i get rejected through createspace file submit?

My thought is that there may be a person reviewing files who is not properly trained. I suggest this for three reasons:

(1) the Interior Reviewer has been exceptionally good at flagging the types of errors you mentioned;

(2) we were on a streak of having prepared and submitted over 1,700 files to CreateSpace for human review without a single rejection until last Thursday, and since then we've had three interior files rejected with this same message (all three passed Interior Reviewer, and I'd bet my business that none of them has a problem);

(3) in the past five days, four other members here have contacted us regarding this same experience (their interior files passed Interior Reviewer, but failed the human review for bleed or margin issues), and they asked us to examine them to see if they were overlooking a problem. One had text at the very edge of the safe zone which might have raised a flag, but the other three were perfect, and had no issues whatsoever.

We contacted Support regarding ours, but haven't heard anything back yet. I know that two of those other members decided to just keep resubmitting the same files in hopes of getting a different reviewer, and each was eventually accepted.

It's frustrating to say the least.

Level 5 5,657 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
6. Nov 22, 2017 10:28 AM in response to: superVILLAIN

superVILLAIN wrote:

also my images have a slight white boarder...

I would guess this is the source of your problem. The human CS reviewer is seeing this as the images ending in the out-of-live zone, which they will not allow. The actual image must go all the way to the bleed, or end inside the minimum margins.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
7. Nov 22, 2017 10:32 AM in response to: superVILLAIN

Not books, files (covers, interiors, revisions) -- and as a service provider, we guarantee acceptance of the files we prepare. So if/when one is rejected, it's kind of a big deal here.

Yes, for 8x10 bleed, you'd want an 8.125" x 10.25" page size, and any full page images would be that size, too (with it in mind that the top, bottom, and outside 0.125" will be trimed away).

Also (something we passed along to Support), ALL rejections I mentioned above (ours and those of other members) were 8x10 full-bleed full-color interiors. We've had four 8.5x8.5 full-bleed full-color submissions in the past week that went through fine, as well as two 6x9 b&w no-bleed submissions.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...