This discussion is archived
505 Views 5 Replies Last post: Nov 27, 2017 9:28 AM by awin RSS
Level 0 12 posts since
Oct 31, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2017 1:40 PM

Cover Coloring and Curving Issues

Hello,

I'm a first time author and I've just received my first print proof (very exciting). The interior is great but I have some issues with the covers.

[Customer Support is helpful, and I have some tickets open with them. I still wanted to source any solutions the community might have as well.]

The color on the printed cover came out much darker than I expected.

Image submitted | Jpg generated for dashboard | Printed proof

Also, the front and back covers curled up as soon as I opened the package, and they don't get flattened by weight.

Curving

Any thoughts? I'm eager to release the book but want to do the cover justice first.

Level 4 2,837 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Nov 22, 2017 1:44 PM in response to: SGCampbell
Re: Cover Coloring and Curving Issues

1. Monitors are typically much brighter than print.

2. Cover curling is frequently reported, although the curling I've seen has been minimal. Where a book is printed might be a factor.

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
3. Nov 22, 2017 4:16 PM in response to: SGCampbell

One hypothesis is that you submitted a CMYK image. Unless you know what you are doing, this can lead to the results you see. The printed image appears darker because detail is lost, but it is actually not a deep black, more a flat featureless dark grey. With CreateSpace I have found it easier to provide cover artwork in RGB colour space. Maybe you could change the colour model of your file, then adjust the colour to suit yourself, and resubmit.

Curling is usually due to humidity differentials between where and when the book was made and where and when you examined it, as Dr Ipsum alluded. We've talked about this often and as far as I remember the problem is not solved by choosing a different lamination style. So learn to live with it, or try another POD service (maybe even ending up using hardback). Those are your alternatives.

Level 3 456 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Nov 22, 2017 6:28 PM in response to: SGCampbell

It looks like the cover has the matte laminate; if so, the glossy laminate would help with those dark tones, both in depth and separation.  Your photo of the printed cover otherwise looks pretty much like I would expect based on the original image.  My main suggestion would be to lighten the hills in the background if you want them to show shadow detail.

Cover curl is a long-standing and variable issue with proofs.  In my own experience, the curl shown in your photo is not at all bad as proofs go.  I have several proofs where both the front and back covers are curled up into tubes about an inch in diameter--the books look much like a Roman scroll with a book dangling from the bottom of it.  However, none of the production books I've ordered from Amazon, and printed in Amazon warehouses, has any curl at all.

Level 2 122 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
5. Nov 27, 2017 9:28 AM in response to: SGCampbell

Unfortunately, there is inconsistent variation in what covers look like from one printing to the next.  I've had a problem with a close-up photo showing up as too red (sunburn) and too yellow (jaundice?)  I did increase the brightness of the photo (which decreases color saturation, you may want to try the same.  I went from 50% to 55% (which printed as too light) then to 53% which seems to be sort of okay.  I'm saying "sort of okay" because the various color priters I use give more consistent results.  I'm talking about color copiers at the library, photocpying stores etc. where you can print from a USB.  I wish I could be more helpful.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...