Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
157 Views 1 Reply Last post: Nov 24, 2017 8:27 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 24, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 24, 2017 6:29 AM

What is the best printer for making a PDF file from my drawings?

I have finished the writing and artwork for a children's book! Does it matter what printer I use to upload my files to make a PDF? Are some printers better quality? What would you recommend that I use?

Level 5 19,216 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated
1. Nov 24, 2017 8:27 AM in response to: SunnyDayKim
Re: What is the best printer for making a PDF file from my drawings?

By printer, I assume the PDF conversion program.

Acrobat is the gold standard. It offers the most choices and control over the process, including preflighting (checking for a variety of issues and often fixing problems).  It is, however, expensive.

There are a lot of free conversion programs that work well.  These include primoPDF, doPDF, PDF995, cutePDF, OpenOffice, etc.

In most conversion programs, you will have to set the file/trim/paper size, or it will default to 8.5 x 11 (the exception of the programs I mentioned is OpenOffice).  Also when given choices regarding quality, always choose the best quality, and, if asked, choose to embed or download fonts,

One question, what program did you use to create your book?  Often programs like OpenOffice (word processing), Scribus, PagePlus, or InDesign, (desktop publishing) have PDF conversion features.

If you select PDF/X-1a, in Acrobat, for example, it will convert your work to CMYK, and this may or may not be good for your art work.  Print out all or some of your images from the PDF to see how they look.  Use photo grade paper, and except for the cover, I prefer matte finish.  Actually you should do this regardless of what program you use.

PDF/X-3 will preserve RGB, as will HighQuality.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...