Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
15,809 Views 9 Replies Last post: Apr 12, 2012 6:17 PM by noname RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
May 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2011 6:18 AM

Making changes after book is published

I found a couple of mistakes on my printed book. What would happen if I'd submit a new copy to CS? Would it have a new ISBN or other changes I really wouldn't like?

Level 5 13,022 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Oct 16, 2011 7:14 AM in response to: Cajunlady
Re: Making changes after book is published

So long as you're not changing the bibliographic info (title, author, etc.) or the physcial properties of the book (trim size, number of pages), then you can upload a new cover and/or interior file for an existing title as often as you want -- just click the title in your account and select "interior" or "cover" in the set-up menu (same process you used to upload files initially -- meaning it will go through the file review and proof approval steps).  Same book, same ISBN, but with the corrected content -- it's not an unusual thing to do, especially with print-on-demand.

From the Help pages: If your book's status is "Available" and you upload new files, it will become unavailable for purchase. Your book will remain unavailable until you have approved a new proof with your revised files. Any orders placed for your book prior to it becoming unavailable for purchase will be fulfilled using the previously approved files.

Hope that helps.  Best wishes.

Level 0 29 posts since
Jul 12, 2011
3. Oct 16, 2011 12:42 PM in response to: Cajunlady

Hello!

I've added stuff twice after initially approviing my novel. The additons were small so the wait time was less than 24 hrs each time.

Dave

Betrovia

http://www.amazon.com/Betrovia-first-three-Land/dp/1463757514/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315424558&sr=1-2

Level 1 94 posts since
Jan 23, 2012
4. Apr 12, 2012 5:01 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

It's not that easy. Once published, all your submitted files are locked. I suppose a call to your CS support could unlock it but I am not sure of what happens next. I have also seen a couple of typos in my book which I wished I had caught before printing and I am hoping my readers will miss them too.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
5. Apr 12, 2012 5:10 PM in response to: noname

The physical properties of your book are locked, such as trim size and page count but making changes to interior (editing, fixing typos) can easily be done. You simply go to 'Interior' , upload the modified file and submit for review again. Your title will become unavailable while it is in review but in no way is it a difficult problem nor should you need to contact CS to have your files 'unlocked'.

R. C.

Upcoming Release - The Order

Preview - http://www.createspace.com/Preview/1098188

Trailer - http://youtu.be/To1IlV-9wCA

www.rcbutlerbooks.com

Level 1 94 posts since
Jan 23, 2012
6. Apr 12, 2012 5:31 PM in response to: R.C.

I respectfully disagree unless there is a new policy in place. I just followed the same routine and the once-submitted PDF interior file is locked. I am sure, however, CS would unlock any file on request.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
7. Apr 12, 2012 5:57 PM in response to: noname

This is not a new policy, if your title is not in EDC you can update the interior at any time and resubmit for review, if you are enrolled in EDC CS's policy is to charge $25 per update but in the past they have waived this fee.

The following is directly from CS help files. I have bolded the section that indicates this can be done the same way even if your title is already available.

Resubmit Files
To  edit or revise an existing title first make the desired changes to your  native file. Then, from your book’s Project Homepage select “Interior”  or “Cover” to upload the revised file(s). The new file(s) will take the  place of the current file(s) for your book. Once submitted, we will  review to make sure that the file(s) meets our requirements and notify  you of our findings via e-mail. When your book files meet all  requirements, you will be able to view a digital proof, order a printed  proof copy, or if you’ve previously reviewed a book proof, you will have  the option to make your book available right away. If your book's  status is "In Process," you will not be able to upload revised files, as  our teams are reviewing the files you submitted.

Update Book Information
Once you select an ISBN, you will not be able to change or update it.

If  your book's status is "Available" and you upload new files, it will  become unavailable for purchase. Your book will remain unavailable until  you have approved your book. Any orders placed for your book prior to  it becoming unavailable for purchase will be fulfilled using the  previously approved files.

Additionally, once your book has been made "Available," no edits can be made to the following:

• Title Name
  • Author Name
  • ISBN
  • Publication Date
  • Interior Type (color or black & white)
  • Trim Size

R. C.

Level 5 15,637 posts since
May 4, 2008
8. Apr 12, 2012 6:08 PM in response to: noname

When you click on a title in your dashboard, and in the Setup section click Interior, you'll see the following notice:

Make Changes

If you need to upload a revised interior file, you must complete the review process again. The trim size and interior type are associated with your book's ISBN and cannot be changed. Learn more.
You can still make changes to your description or list price at any time.

with a blue "Change" button to the right of the notice. This is how you unlock your files so you can upload your revised files.

The only time you cannot upload a revised file is when CS is reviewing an existing file. Wait for them to reply that their review is complete and then upload a new file.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 1 94 posts since
Jan 23, 2012
9. Apr 12, 2012 6:17 PM in response to: R.C.

Thanks R.C. I will have to investigate as to why the files are locked as I mentioned. I have just noticed that the name of the Interior PDF file shown is not the previously revised file that went to the printer. Go figure.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...