Skip navigation
825 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 29, 2017 7:16 AM by gdavies RSS
Level 0 110 posts since
Apr 26, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2017 11:53 AM

Canva and creating a paperback cover

I created a front-page cover on canva.com and have been told by other createspace authors that you just upload it and voila, a cover!

That didn't work, as cover creator only wanted to use their few pre-set design templates, not one I'd created. So I found a template on createspace and downloaded it. So...how do I get my canva pdf (or canva jpeg, png, I have all three) "into" the template?

Also, how do you create a back cover?

And yes, I searched createspace and all I could find to answer my question was that you can use canva to create a cover. duh.

Thanks.

Level 4 2,521 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Nov 25, 2017 12:12 PM in response to: gdavies
Re: Canva and creating a paperback cover

You have of course thoroughly studied the CreateSpace cover documentation and specifications: Books (tab at top of page) -> Publish a Trade Paperback -> Cover. If not, you definitely should.

Level 5 3,833 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
4. Nov 25, 2017 2:12 PM in response to: gdavies
Does createspace just automatically plug one in? Where?

Yes.  They put it in the place which is stated on Page 63 of the latest "CreateSpace PDF Submission Specification".

Dan'l

Level 5 4,206 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
6. Nov 25, 2017 5:28 PM in response to: gdavies

So you created an image in Canva, and now you want to use it in a cover. The simplest method is to use CreateSpace's Cover Creator, making certain to select the one or two options that allow you to upload an image. From hearsay, I believe that these are the Palm or Pine formats. If more ambitious, you could try building the cover yourself, but for that you'll need to read more - I can't tell you because I don't use Canva.

If you use Cover Creator you will not have to worry about a barcode, as it will be generated and placed automatically. If you create your own cover from scratch with Canva (or any other software for that matter) you may as well just leave the empty space for CreateSpace to fill with their barcode, as they appear not to accept user-supplied barcodes any more.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...