Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
629 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 26, 2017 2:37 PM by Lighthouse24 RSS
Level 0 8 posts since
Jan 30, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2017 4:19 PM

Which PDF compliance to use for my manuscript

Hi all,

When converting from MS-Word to Acrobat PDF I have the following choices:

PDF/A

PDF/X

PDF/E

PDF/VT

Within PDF/X there are: 1a, 3, 4

AND, within each of these, the choices include:

Coated FOGRA39

Coated GRACoL 2006

Japan Color 2001 Coated

SWOP

Which choice is needed for CreateSpace?

For example, PDF/X-1a (Coated FOGRA39) ? or PDF/X-1a (SWOP) ?

Please help!

Level 5 3,945 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 25, 2017 4:40 PM in response to: Crikey
Re: Which PDF compliance to use for my manuscript

If you have images you want none of the options available from within the Word options.  Using Word to create your PDF will downsample all images and then you'll get the dreaded CS warning that "your images are less than 300 dpi...."  If you have no images at all, I mean NONE, then you can use PDF/X-1a SWOP to best effect probably.

Dan'l

Level 5 13,024 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Nov 26, 2017 8:25 AM in response to: Crikey

Is this a b&w or color interior? If it's b&w, and if the images you inserted into the Word document are 8-bit grayscale, then it's simple -- use the PDF/X-1a preset (and under the Paper/Quality tab in Document Properties window, select "Black & White"). You can leave all the other default settings (except PDF Page Size) as they are.

If you inserted color images for what will be printed as a b&w interior, or if this will be printed as a color interior, then please provide more info about that, and also note whether or not you assigned a color profile to the images you saved and inserted. That will affect your PDF/X choice and settings.

(As you mentioned, when using Acrobat to create the PDF from Word using either the PDF/X-1a or PDF/3 preset, there are no problems with compression or downsampling/loss of resolution.)

Aug 22, 2008
5. Nov 26, 2017 10:53 AM in response to: Crikey

Crikey wrote:

2. I am using Adobe Acrobat DC (pro) to do the conversion, which provide the choices I listed. Do you know which I should use?

Yes, and I answered that if you're printing the book as a black-and-white interior. Acrobat will handle the conversion from color to grayscale with the settings I suggested. It would be better if you used graphic software (Photoshop, GIMP, IrfanView, etc.) to convert each color image to grayscale first, saved them, and then inserted the grayscale images into Word. But since you didn't, letting Acrobat convert them will usually work okay (however, if you see any loss of contrast in the proof, the solution will be to do the conversion to grayscale yourself, before inserting the images into Word).

If the book is to be printed as a color interior, then the best option will depend on the color profile you assigned to the images when saving them. If you didn't assign a color profile, then my suggestion is to use the PDF/X-1a preset, with sRGB profile as the working RGB colorspace and a SWOP v2 profile as the working CMYK colorspace -- and when viewing/softproofing in Acrobat, choose the same CMYK (SWOP v2) simulation profile for that.

3. Should I abandon #2 above and just use MS-Word to do the conversion to PDF?

NO, absolutely not! Acrobat is the best tool for producing the print-ready PDF file.

Aug 22, 2008
7. Nov 26, 2017 2:37 PM in response to: Crikey

1. If the fonts are installed on the platform from which you'll be producing the PDF, then the PDF/X presets should embed those fonts automatically. There's no need to embed them in the Word doc unless you intend to move the Word document to other platforms.

2. Yes, but if you use the PDF/X-1a preset, it should have the compliance function set to cancel the job if a PDF/X-1a compliant file cannot be produced. Nevertheless, can't hurt to double-check. (Note: CreateSpace does not require PDF/X compliance, but it is the format created and intended for the type of blind hand-off we do here -- one in which the actual press workflow and device on which the file will be output is unknown.) I would also run the preflight for Digital Printing (either B&W or Color, as appropriate). It can catch issues that the Interior Reviewer will miss, but that a human reviewer may flag.

3. Click the Preflight button in the toolbar (or select that option) and then look under the Profiles tab for the list of preset printing and compliance tests. Select the one you want (as suggested above) and click the "Analyze" button.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...