Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
526 Views 4 Replies Last post: Nov 27, 2017 3:49 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 108 posts since
Apr 26, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2017 4:46 PM

How to find "funky" en dash in document

My document/manuscript decided to go format itself and randomly turn some of my em dashes (—) into weird en dashes ( - ) as in, with the space, and really a tad longer than the usual hypen but shorter than an em dash. Well I can't c&p to find and replace it, and I can't figure out how to type it that way so that my find and replace function can find (and thus replace) it. I surely don't wish to go through 90,000 words to find the errors.  Thank you.

Level 2 113 posts since
Jun 24, 2016
1. Nov 26, 2017 7:26 PM in response to: gdavies
Re: How to find "funky" en dash in document

On a Mac, Ctrl + hyphen gives an en dash, and Ctrl + Shift + hyphen gives an em dash. I expect Windows is similar, but I’m not sure. You can use those keyboard shortcuts to search and replace.

-Ron

Level 4 2,935 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Nov 26, 2017 7:54 PM in response to: gdavies

Copy and paste, as Michelle alluded to, should work swimmingly. Copy from text, paste into the Find function's fields. It works in Word, OpenOffice, and every other document-creation program I've ever used. In fact, I've used the method to do the very thing you want.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
4. Nov 27, 2017 3:49 PM in response to: gdavies

Now you might want to check the autocorrect settings to make sure that your software doesn't get any more silly ideas into its head.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...