Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
1,088 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 29, 2017 9:13 AM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Nov 19, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2017 11:13 AM

Double sided books?

Does anyone know if CreateSpace can accept files for a double sided book?

A double sided book can be read from either side of the book. That means that the first half of the book is printed normally, but the second half of the book is printed upside down and starting from the back so the reader can flip the book over and read it from the other side. Does that make sense?

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 28, 2017 12:18 PM in response to: CRog
Re: Double sided books?

You explained what a double-sided book is, but why would one want to have such a book?  With POD you/the customer pay based upon the number of pages, so why would one want to double the pages and therefore nearly double the price so that a person could have two of the same book inside a single cover?

As to whether CS would do this, I can't say that I know if they would or not.

Dan'l

Level 5 5,665 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Nov 28, 2017 12:23 PM in response to: CRog

There are bilingual books on the market laid out in such a manner, but from what I've seen in this forum, CreateSpace does not allow it.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
4. Nov 28, 2017 1:46 PM in response to: CRog

Give it a try.  If you form the pdf so that it will be printed as you describe, and the back cover is upside down, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe it will pass review.

It does seem awkward though.  Mom and daughter wouldn't be able to read it at the same time...

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
5. Nov 28, 2017 1:59 PM in response to: CRog

I had a client who tried this exact approach with a bilingual children's picture book and they would not accept it.

Another client with a physics textbook wanted to place answers upside down at the end of each chapter, and CreateSpace rejected that, too (saying all text had to be oriented the same way on all pages).

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
6. Nov 28, 2017 2:46 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Ah.

Never mind then.

Level 5 4,129 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
7. Nov 28, 2017 7:01 PM in response to: danwiz

danwiz wrote:

You explained what a double-sided book is, but why would one want to have such a book?

I've seen this format a few times. One example was a novel in which a man and a woman slowly manoeuvred towards each other, each mapping out a different but simultaneous life story, but with constant references to the other character, their location and activities. It was novel, and memorable, but I remember it for its unusual presentation, and sadly I have forgotten the name of the book and the author. The moral of the story seems to be that unusual ideas are not to be dismissed automatically, but gimmicks can't turn a mediocre work of art into a timeless masterpiece.

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
8. Nov 29, 2017 9:13 AM in response to: Maaku

Maaku wrote:

. . . gimmicks can't turn a mediocre work of art into a timeless masterpiece.

Now you tell me.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...