Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
501 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 7, 2017 7:50 AM by Notjohn RSS
Level 0 13 posts since
May 19, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2017 11:18 PM

First time publisher, could use some help :)

Hi there,

I am aiming to publish my first e-book and paperback on February 1st.  I have a few questions I was hoping I could get help with.

1.  After submitting my manuscript, cover, ect. how long does it take before I can order a proof?  And author copies?  How long does it take to recieve an order on average?

2.  How soon after submitting final changes will my book be available on Amazon?

3. What date should be my deadline for submitting my manuscripts so that they are available on Amazon on February 1st?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Level 5 4,242 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Nov 29, 2017 12:14 AM in response to: kaybay
Re: First time publisher, could use some help :)
    1. Usually about 24 hours, providing CreateSpace find no problems with your files.
    2. You can order 5 proofs as above. For additional copies, you need to approve the proof. I think you can then order any number right away.
    3. Depends where you live and what delivery method you choose. A couple of days in the USA, a couple of weeks, maybe more, elsewhere.
  1. A few hours.
  2. No one can answer that. It depends on how many errors you find in the proof, whether you fix them all in one go. The smart money says make sure the book is ready, only then set a release date.
Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 7, 2017
3. Nov 30, 2017 12:15 PM in response to: Maaku

Exactly the information I needed right now. Great post.

Level 5 19,425 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Nov 30, 2017 12:29 PM in response to: TimDavid

But . . .

Holidays and hurricanes can add delays.  Also, you should order a printed proof and examine it very very carefully before approving the book and enabling distribution.  The digital proofer is not good, and the PDF proof will show you nothing you can't see looking at the PDF file you uploaded.  This will add time to the schedule.

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 2 229 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
5. Dec 7, 2017 7:50 AM in response to: kaybay
My release date is flexible, it's just my goal.

That's good! I think it's a terrible mistake, especially for first-time author-publishers, to use pre-order or otherwise work against a deadline. The time to publish a book is when it's ready and more or less flawless (MORE, in the case of the print edition). Personally, I find formatting for print much fussier and more time consuming than for digital, so I usually finish and publish the ebook first, with the paperback following about a month later. I need that month to get it right.

I don't know what Christmas will do to delivery times, but ever since KDP Print Beta came to live with us in September 2016, my book orders from CreateSpace have been delivered in three business days, bulk copies or proof copies, it hasn't mattered. So I just take Standard Shipping. (Your mileage of course may differ.)

I'm surprised that some say their CreateSpace books appear on the Amazon store within a few hours. If so, it must be a change, because mine have always taken a couple days. Kindle editions always appear the same day, though to be sure I get up early in the morning.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting:

The blog:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...