Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
608 Views 5 Replies Last post: Dec 4, 2017 3:11 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 30, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2017 3:50 AM

new book ready , in rough draft.

hi im new to this. as my friend advised me to get on here to get my book done and online.

i want a hard copy edition too.

now the thing is i have all the story written up in my own writing and my illustrations but i dont have any idea how to get it all together. im rather backwards when it comes to this part. though all the tools are here. please can someone help me with a step by step guide on how to type it up, add illustrations cover etc and get it on kindle for christmas if i can its a lovely childrens tale  thankyou everyone who can help

regards

elizabeth

Level 5 3,939 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Dec 1, 2017 8:45 AM in response to: elizabetha
Re: new book ready , in rough draft.

Hoping that your book is more legible than your post here, sentences begin with a capital letter, end with a period, I is a capital letter.  I fail to be impressed by your writing ability - this is not a messaging system, where you can get away with posting stuff like you posted.

Okay, as an initial suggestion as to what to do - start with a word processing program to do your writing.

CreateSpace (CS) ONLY offers paperback editions, to upload an ebook you need to go to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP).

Start by clicking on the "Books", "Publish a Trade Paperback" in the upper left corner.  When you get there, read everything under every tab.  Under the Interior Tab, be sure to download, save and read the "CreateSpace PDF Submission Specification".  Keep it and refer to first whenever you have a question as this is the Bible.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Level 4 2,831 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Dec 1, 2017 11:12 AM in response to: danwiz

danwiz wrote:

Hoping that your book is more legible than your post here, sentences begin with a capital letter, end with a period, I is a capital letter.  I fail to be impressed by your writing ability - this is not a messaging system, where you can get away with posting stuff like you posted.

Oooo, ice burn.

Level 5 3,939 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
3. Dec 1, 2017 2:35 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Ah, you felt it, eh!

Dan'l

Level 5 19,518 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Dec 4, 2017 3:11 PM in response to: elizabetha

You can use Word to produce a Kindle.  Many people on the KDP forum appear to use it, I don't.  However, you should take a look at three books by Aaron Shepard, all on Kindle:

• From Word to Kindle
  • Picgtures on Kindle
  • HTML Fixes for Kindle

You might want to read From Word to Kindle, to see if you should be doing something, like applying styles, from the beginning, rather than have to go back and apply them.  Otherwise, write your book, edit and revise it.  Create a paper edition first: we read with better comprehension from paper than from monitors, so you'll proofread and edit better.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...