Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
379 Views 3 Replies Last post: Dec 1, 2017 5:52 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 12, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2017 9:13 AM

How do I get rid of spacing that shows up when I'm formatting?

I have used the templates given with no luck , and now I have formatted based on the instructions given. However suddenly there are huges spaces between my sub titles and text. I can't seem to back space or get rid of the spaces. HELP!

Level 5 3,858 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Dec 1, 2017 9:39 AM in response to: ready2017
Re: How do I get rid of spacing that shows up when I'm formatting?

The CS templates are filled with problems and I don't think any of us regular members here would even consider using one.  That said, I assume that you're using Word, so for starters check your paragraph formatting - specifically the "space before" and "space after".

Dan'l

Level 4 2,929 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Dec 1, 2017 10:20 AM in response to: ready2017

Dan'l's right. You see, the template utilizes user-defined paragraph styles that specify the vertical spacing before and after paragraphs. If you're not familiar with Word's styles, you would be well advised to do some "manual labor." Formatting without using styles is like typing while wearing mittens.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
3. Dec 1, 2017 5:52 PM in response to: ready2017

As my august predecessors have demonstrated, you get no easy answers to this simple question. You'll have to look into it. I can think of the following reasons for there being too much vertical space, most of which could be applied to the style (at character or paragraph level) or the particular text that appears to have the problem, or to the text immediately preceding or following it:

• paragraph spacing, top or bottom
  • borders, sometimes invisible, and concomitant border spacing
  • line-spacing or leading
  • grid-snapping (or, rarely, register-true in OO and LO)
  • font choice (particularly fonts that allow for multiple diacritics)
  • character vertical position

More than one of these could be in effect, and there may also be other causes I haven't mentioned.

These causes are usually obvious to an old hand, but completely mystifying to a beginner.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...