This discussion is archived
78,914 Views 61 Replies Last post: Apr 10, 2013 5:10 PM by Seal RSS
  1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
CreateSpaceKate Representative 367 posts since
Nov 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 16, 2011 8:24 AM

New CreateSpace Interior Reviewer!

We are excited to announce the launch of our new Interior Reviewer tool making it easier and faster than ever to get your book ready to publish with CreateSpace. This free tool offers several of the benefits that you've been asking for to help ease the submission process for your interior file.

Interior Reviewer gives you the ability to upload multiple file types including .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .rtf, so you no longer have to hassle with PDF conversion prior to submission. You'll receive immediate feedback on your interior file by reviewing the visual flags that point out any issues, such as text in the margins, low DPI images by page, etc. You will also have the option to automatically resize your file to fit the intended trim size and flip through the entire book in an online viewer to help you visualize the book before it's printed.

Give Interior Reviewer a try with your next book or to help you finalize an existing book that's stuck at the Interior step. We hope you find it helpful and we look forward to hearing about your experiences with the new tool!

If you're experienced with creating print ready PDFs to CreateSpace specifications, you can skip this step by deselecting the box next to "Interior Reviewer". Or, just use our Expert setup to submit your files right away.

Level 5 15,505 posts since
Mar 8, 2009
1. Nov 16, 2011 8:25 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate
Re: New CreateSpace Interior Reviewer!

I would consider adding ODT files to your list of available uploads even though it is just as easy to create a PDF in OpenOffice/LibreOffice as a couple clicks.

Seal

FREE OpenOffice Interior & Cover Templates available at:

http://www.stevenwjohnson.com

Level 0 94 posts since
Sep 19, 2009
2. Nov 17, 2011 3:52 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

This is a good thing! Sparky1

Level 0 2 posts since
Jul 12, 2010
3. Jan 17, 2012 4:23 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I tried so many times, about 8 hours today. The interior Reviewer will only load half way, sometimes only a quarter, the last time was three-quarters.

Never load completely, then frozen. So, I never see what the interior reviewer is like. Very very frustrating indeed. It tells me it has detected one error, but I do not know what error it is as I cannot load it to see for myself. Definitely will give up. Wasted so much time.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Jan 17, 2012 4:52 AM in response to: Mindfulness

Sometimes uploads don't work well because of:

• time of day (peak time, like when everyone gets home from school or work slow down uploading through your ISP)
  • browser (sometimes changes in your browser or security setting are a mismatch for changes in the CS website--changing browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.) can often resolve upload problems and problems with interactive features, which for me, never work with IE, for example)
  • InteriorReviewer is new; it is buggy.  It is a great idea, with problems. 

If you want to see your work as it will print (or should print), look at it in PDF. CS prints from PDF. All uploads until a month or so ago, had to be PDFs. If your interior was not a PDF, convert it (there are many free conversion programs: http://www.dopdf.com, http://www.primopdf.com, http://www.cutepdf.com/), then look at it very carefully. I always catch things in the PDF I missed in the original source file (Word, OO, or InDesign).  This is better than what you would see in InteriorReviewer, at least right now because it is the print-ready file itself.

Walton

Mechanics & Punctuation, free, 20 page guide to everything punctuation  Build Your Book, a free, 98 page guide to designing your book;  CS Digital understand CS digital possibilities; GIMP, free, tutorials, GIMP, GIMP Help, excerpts from GIMP Supremacy Supremacy;  Bleeds, free, 19 page, illustrated guide to bleeds and margins, do's and don't's for CreateSpace;  Contact for graphics, design, and typesetting help.  Disclaimer: all statements of apparent fact in this post are empirical inferences based on observational data. These are idiosyncratic in nature and have not necessarily been subject to verification.

Level 0 4 posts since
Dec 9, 2011
5. Mar 5, 2012 8:55 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Hello All.......I'm totally new to it all! Can someone please explain to me the 6.9 book settings no pictures all text! I can't seem to get it right at all!

Please Help..... Like  what do i set the format at for gutter, and things like that for a 6x9 book. 

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 15, 2009
6. Mar 10, 2012 6:36 PM in response to: skippymarl

Has anyone responded yet?  I was able to upload the template and use it.  But I notice in my proof that the page numbers are not properly formatted (i.e., even and odd page numbers look different and are not evenly spaced).  Are there any formatting experts out there who can help me?

Mar 8, 2009
7. Mar 10, 2012 7:30 PM in response to: Karma

The IR is flawed, it still has a few bugs in it, but before we blame it on the IR, did you mirror the margins on your pages? Also, what program are you using for your source file and what are you using to create your PDF?

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 11, 2009
8. Apr 5, 2012 10:32 PM in response to: Seal

Hi ,

Can anyone plz tell me just how long it will take to actually see the inside of My Text " Instead of the inside of the text that was there already ?

I have worked really hard on this Novel . Just wanted to know..

Curious about a lot of thing's...

Author : Mary E. Foster 

Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 15, 2011
9. May 1, 2012 8:47 AM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I liked the reviewer feature-but on first set-up I was told there were trim issues that they had adjusted. When I looked at the reviewer it was clear that I needed to scale the book down from 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 to 5.25 X 8. I did that, but now I'm getting a message that there's a problem because I selected 8.5 X 11 (which I didn't) and should have selected 5.25 X 8 (which I did). In fact, in the interior review-where I can edit-it clearly says I chose 5.25 X 8. I don't know how to fix that other than re-selecting and submitting it again! what do I do if this keeps happening?? I can't even go to the reviewer to see what's wrong with it.

Level 0 2 posts since
Feb 14, 2012
10. May 14, 2012 2:54 PM in response to: walton

i keep trying to upload my book into the creatspace interior reviewer, and it keeps coming up with the same error message. saying, "Fonts are missing from your file and we've replaced them with a default alternative. In order to print your book using font Myriad Pro you will need to embed the missing fonts in your file." So I went in and imbedded them. then the error still came up. then I went in and got rid of all my Myriad Pro fonts and the error still pops up.  Do you have any helpful advice on this one.

thanks a lot

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. May 14, 2012 5:03 PM in response to: willynilly

Bypass the IR, and submit the file for review.

Myriad Pro . . . you're the fifth person posting with that problem. I think it's a problem in the IR.  If you do submit and if you don't have a problem with Myriad Pro, please let us know.

Walton

Level 0 1 posts since
Oct 22, 2010
12. May 20, 2012 1:22 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

Wow, I've been at my wits end over the IR--way beyond frustrated, I've had 2 professionals (friends) look at my image files and scratch their heads trying to figure out why the IR was balking at some but not others. But if I read this right, you're saying trust your .pdf more than the IR? I'm new to this, and knowing from the start that the IR is buggy would have saved me dozens of lost hours. 

Here's what I encountered: All my images were scanned at 300 .dpi, but IR passed some but said others were less than 200 .dpi. Assuming I'd erred, I've re scanned and reprocessed the problem images (anywhere from 2-10 out of 25+ images) every way I can think of (gray scale instead of B&W, same scanner but different laptops/scanner software, touchups vs no touchups, etc.) but still all always as 300 dpi TIFFS, and the IR has coquettishly accepted a few more but never all despite identical properties. I've wondered whether sometimes IR isn't checking the latest upload and instead is just parrotting back at me the results of previous attempts--could that also be happening?

Two other issues: It's not recognizing ITC Novarese font as embedded but embedded it for me. The instructions for embedding don't work for the Word 2010 UI as far as I can tell. I've been told that Word embeds them automatically when saved as .pdf. True? The .pdf version (saved from Word 2010) looks fine. In previous attempts--when I uploaded the file from a different laptop that also ran Word 2010 and also had ITC Novarese--the font recognized the font as embedded. So I can't tell what introduced the new font hiccup, other than uploading to CreateSpace from a different laptop.

Also, when I tried  to fix these problems by uploading a Word 2010 version instead of the .pdf, none of the images showed up in the IR file.

To spare other newbies like me, it would help a lot if the IR page warned of such bugginess, especially wrt fonts and images, and said that if the .pdf looks good when checked very thoroughly, the file is almost certainly okay.

I didn't dare skip IR because I figured the same idiosyncracies would show up during the official review process and the message that pops up if you try to skip sounds pretty dire. How about also changing that message to advise folks that it's enough to carefully check a .pdf version before proceeding? (If, in fact, that's what you're saying.)

I did check for help on this in the communities at various times but found nothing. I probably wasn't looking in the right place. I expect beta labelling and issue FAQs for buggy software, so when I found none, I assumed the problems were my fault. Oddly, I only found this thread when I gave up on my interior today (after another wasted morning of rescanning and replacing some images) and decided to see whether my Cover file would pass IR. It was professionally prepared using Adobe products. Somehow in that UI I saw a link to this thread. My cover file should be fine, But I don't dare look.

If anything in this sounds like something I am doing wrong, please tell me. And thanks for letting me vent. I sure hope the rest of my experience with CreateSpace goes more smoothly.

Mar 8, 2009
13. May 20, 2012 1:26 PM in response to: Whidbey

Are you beginning to think that maybe you should ignore the IR and just upload your PDF, order a proof copy and THEN determine if you have a problem?

Seal

Need A Job? Publish A Book! with Open Office and

Level 1 73 posts since
Jan 30, 2012
14. May 20, 2012 2:41 PM in response to: CreateSpaceKate

I'm sure the IR has other problems related to this, but I did discover one reason why I personally was getting the "less-than-300 dpi" warning for images. In Illustrator, I had failed to set preferences so that effects were 300 dpi.

This normally isn't a problem I would encounter for my other artwork, as Illustrator does 300 dpi effects by default if you start from scratch with a CMYK document. But for my book covers, I've been using CS's PDF cover templates, so that's something to keep in mind to remember to change.

Tim Gallant | Author/Publisher | Graphic/Web Design

http://pactumbooks.com

http://timgallantcreative.com

Go to original post 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...