This discussion is archived
19,391 Views 36 Replies Last post: Nov 16, 2010 2:50 PM by Willyposta RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 5 posts since
Jul 23, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2008 1:59 PM

CreateSpace Customer Service is Pathetic and Unprofessional

Yesterday I was complaining that there is some odd language attached to my title. It says "on hold." I sent CreateSpace an email to inquire about this (because that's all you can do). Then I had to wait another 24 hours for this lame response: The anonymous emailer said they had just received my source copy on Nov. 5. Well, that was odd, considering I received an email on Oct. 25 from CreateSpace acknowledging that they had, in fact, received my source copy then. Huh?

So I just responded saying, "Hello? You sent me an email 10 days ago saying you got my source copy." I also sent the anonymous emailer a copy of the Oct. 25 email.

So now I wait another 24 hours -- or perhaps until Monday -- for another pathetic response from an anonymous emailer.

In the meantime, my client is pissed off at me because I can't produce a product. What a mess.

Anyone contemplating doing business with CreateSpace should seriously take their unprofessional customer service into account before sending them a product. If there is any glitch (which there almost always is), you're SOL.

I work with Lightning Source for POD books, and there is always someone with whom you can coordinate business or discuss any potential problems. I just can't figure out why they don't care about making sure the process goes as smoothly as possibly. Perhaps, they don't need the business. I can't help but get that impression.

At this point, I have to look elsewhere for future projects, because this is just not the way to do business.

I'm trying to be as polite as possible here, but I am extremely frustrated. This is costing me business.

If someone from CreateSpace wants to contact me, they can call me toll-free at ***** at my office. Otherwise, I'll wrap this up and take my money elsewhere.

Message was edited by: CreateSpace Community Moderators

Level 1 5 posts since
Sep 13, 2007
1. Nov 7, 2008 10:51 AM in response to: chrisp
Re: CreateSpace Customer Service is Pathetic and Unprofessional

I second that 100%. I'm already pulling out.

Level 1 18 posts since
Feb 16, 2008
2. Nov 7, 2008 2:12 PM in response to: chrisp

I have had a different experience. I'm very happy with Create Space, but it is true that they take longer than I expected times, so I know plan with the expectation that something might turn wrong and wait longer.

It used to frustrate me that they took more than a day to answer, specially since I'm in Australia, but whenever I've had a problem they are willing to help, clarify or set the record straight.

I haven't used other companies, but there are many alternatives, I'm not sure they would be much different but I think we are all interested in your experiences.

Best of luck,

Alicia

Level 1 120 posts since
Sep 13, 2008
3. Nov 7, 2008 2:14 PM in response to: blah

I, too, am a little frustrated. I have sent a few emails during the last few weeks, and not one has been returned to me. The last was about two days ago, regarding my royalties and how long it takes them to update book sales. I am not enragedyetand I hope it doesn't get to that point. Another thing, when I signed up with CreateSpace I was under the impression that my book would be for sale on their site, given that they wooed me with the promise of a higher royalty. Well, I may have been a bit hasty or did not read the fine print, but I now realize that they don't yet advertise books-- just CDs and DVDs. Shame on me, I suppose, for not being thorough enough. It's not a huge issue yet; I just hope they begin advertising books very soon so I can collect the larger royalty, as promised with the pro package.   I have to give them credit, though, because my proofs have always arrived on time, and in great shape.  CS does fabulous work. This early on, I'm just taking the good with the bad...

Level 0 1 posts since
Feb 2, 2008
4. Nov 7, 2008 5:18 PM in response to: chrisp

I have never had Customer Service never not respond to my questions? They have usually answered within a few days.

Level 1 120 posts since
Sep 13, 2008
5. Nov 7, 2008 10:17 PM in response to: kiabunch

Just to clarify things, I'm not disappointed with CS's services. I've simply had a question or two go unanswered. Plus, of all the other POD services I've researched, CS has been the easiest to work with and the most cost efficient; scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 8.5. Just a little anxious right now, but pretty happy.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 20, 2008
6. Nov 10, 2008 12:26 AM in response to: chrisp

Actually, I have found the customer service people quite responsive especially considering how little they request in up front costs.  Createspace really seems to require that the users know what they are doing and take the time to read and follow the steps pretty much as they have set them up.  They have been quite timely in response to me.  When things have taken longer than I thought they should have, it has been because I did not do something in the proper sequence.  There are parts of the process that take time and I suspect their low up-front costs are paid for in large part by having a largely automated production process.  If you are looking for a live human being to talk you through every step of the process and if time is of an issue, I suspect you are at the wrong place and are doomed for disappointment. The business model of this place seems to be that you the artist are responsible for the look and feel of your product, you the artist must take  the responsibility for shepherding the work though their system, and you the artist are solely responsible for marketing the product (since the createspace search page is pretty poor, any sales from createspace have to come from you giving the correct web address that directly links to your createspace web page).

All createspace does is actually produce the product, make copies when they get an order, provide a place where the artist can make referrals for sales to people the artist contacts, and hook the artist's product up with amazon.

All at very little direct costs to the artist.

To me it seems like a very good deal and the level of customer service is appropriate to this business model.

Level 1 120 posts since
Sep 13, 2008
8. Nov 10, 2008 10:37 PM in response to: libraryguy

Very thorough response, libraryguy, and I agree with you on almost every count. However, I have indeed sent CS two identical emails that were not answered- at all. I re-sent the email a third time, and a few days later I finally received the response I was looking for. As I said before, shame on me for not reading through the site as thoroughly as I should have; I most likely caused my own frustrations in some regards, and I accept responsibility for that. CS has been very good (in my case), and I give them high marks in customer service and product quality. I was simply venting my frustrations at not having received answers to my questions (at that particular time). I have no beef with CS- they've provided a quality layout; I, in turn, have followed the directions (shepherded the work through their system), and they have produced an exceptional product each and every time. I will gladly use CS for future products, and advise others to do so as well.

Level 0 17 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
9. Nov 13, 2008 5:01 PM in response to: 1kparham

I don't know if I agree with this statement.

Don't give up!

Level 1 120 posts since
Sep 13, 2008
10. Nov 13, 2008 10:10 PM in response to: kenberrymedia

To kenberrymedia----

which statement?

Level 0 17 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
11. Nov 14, 2008 6:58 AM in response to: 1kparham

I don't believe that I agree with the statement that CreateSpace Customer Service is pathetic and unprofessional. 

My experience was not without glitches; however, I think that based upon my professional experience - some glitches were expected on my part.

I did go through a couple of layers of customer support and now I'm grateful for that.

I think if you are having troubles with CreateSpace's customer service, you might consider seeking advise on the problem from another or experienced DVD duplicator - and present CreateSpace with the information.

Even though I did have troubles, CreateSpace did take responsibility for their end and I was very happy to take responsiblity for my end of things.

CreateSpace has my sympathy because they receive projects (I'm referring to the DVD's here) from persons with a whole range of experience (from none to Govenment) and technology (i.e. quicktime to professional authoring software).

I will say that I am from Canada and that I am of the opinion that Amazon.com possess a unique and independent corporate culture.  Some might get along with it and others will not.

Best regards,

KB

Level 1 120 posts since
Sep 13, 2008
12. Nov 14, 2008 7:20 AM in response to: kenberrymedia

THIS IS TO KENBERRYMEDIA AND EVERYONE ELSE: I DID NOT CREATE THE ORIGINAL POSTING THAT STATED "CREATESPACE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS PATHETIC AND UNPROFESSIONAL"..... MY GOODNESS, IF THAT IS HOW IT LOOKS THEN I AM TRULY SORRY!!!    I SIMPLY POSTED A RESPONDING THREAD ABOUT A SLIGHTLY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE I HAD WITH CREATESPACE, NOT THE ORIGINAL ONE THAT BASHED THEM. I REALLY HOPE CREATESPACE REALIZES THIS- I APPRECIATE THEIR SERVICE, AND ASIDE FROM A COUPLE OF ISSUES, I THINK THEY'VE DONE A GREAT JOB, AS I'VE SAID ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS.

AND AS A POINT, I'M NOT BASHING THE WRITER WHO POSTED THE ORIGINAL THREAD, AS I GUESS THAT WAS HIS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH CREATESPACE, SO FAR AS WE KNOW. ALL WE CAN DO IS TAKE HIS WORD FOR IT, THEN BASE OUR OPINION OF CREATESPACE ON OUR OWN EXPERIENCES. MINE HAS BEEN A GOOD ONE. I HAVE ALSO SAID SEVERAL TIMES THAT I PROBABLY DID NOT READ THE CREATESPACE RULES & REGS THOROUGHLY ENOUGH, WHICH MOST LIKELY CAUSED CONFUSION ON MY PART. AS FOR MY ORIGINAL POST IN RESPONSE TO THIS SUBJECT, I'M PRETTY SURE THAT MY ONLY GRIPE WAS NOT HAVING RECEIVED A RESPONSE TO TWO OR THREE EMAILS I'D SENT TO CS. THAT WAS ALL-- I SWEAR. I'VE RECEIVED SOME NEGATIVE POSTINGS FROM OTHER COMMUNITY MEMBERS, AND NOW I GET IT-- SOME OF YOU THOUGHT IT WAS ME. WELL, IT WAS NOT, AND I'M SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.

Level 2 368 posts since
Aug 12, 2008
14. Nov 14, 2008 8:00 AM in response to: chrisp

I have certainly had my problems with CS customer service -- the first time I asked about why I had not received a royalty payment, I got a response that was totally unresponsive, simply repeating CS's policies without addressing my problem. It only took another e-mail, saying that they hadn't been responsive, and that got them to send me the payment, so by the time they responded, they simply told me it had been sent -- which, by then, it had been!

But aside from customer service, I've been very happy with CS. I got my book published at little cost to me, and the book looks good. I'll certainly use them again. There is more to consider than a lousy customer service department.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...