Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
7,916 Views 47 Replies Last post: Apr 15, 2018 10:52 AM by Notjohn RSS
  1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Level 0 28 posts since
Apr 30, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2017 12:53 AM

Best-Seller suddenly showing no sales, don't understand why!

I have a book labeled as a best-seller on Amazon that typically sells 5+ copies per day, often up to and exceeding 10 copies in a day. Suddenly, on the 19th of November it just stopped reporting any sales in the US market, and hasn't reported a single sale since! It still shows sales in UK and EU markets and Expanded Distribution, but nothing in the US, which is 95+% of my sales for this title.

I sent a message to createspace, but the reply I got was ridiculous and didn't even address the problem (they simply sent me an excel file of the royalty report, which tells me nothing I didn't already know). I'm overseas and can't talk to them on the phone, because their call-back option doesn't include the country I'm currently in.

I don't understand how this can suddenly show zero sales, right through black-friday and into december, when the sales should be rising. I would estimate I've "lost" 70-100 sales so far, which is huge. I saw no preorder spike prior to sale suddenly stopping. It's far too many sales missing to be accounted for by returned copies.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have advice on what I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help or clarity anyone can offer.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Dec 4, 2017 7:10 AM in response to: JonFergus
Re: Best-Seller suddenly showing no sales, don't understand why!

What also happens at this time of year is that CS contracts with other printers to accomodate the holiday rush.  These printers might take amonth or two to report sales.  This appears to be a dip in royalties, but it's normal.

Level 1 5 posts since
Jan 16, 2015
2. Dec 4, 2017 5:45 PM in response to: JonFergus

I'm in the exact same boat. One of my steadiest daily sellers suddenly dropped to zero on 11/20 in the US and hasn't had any US sales logged since then (nor was there a bulk sale logged). The book's ranked on Amazon nearly identically with another one of my titles that's sold about 100 copies since 11/20.

It's a shame there's no mechanism for Createspace to communicate with us if they do contract the printing out. When they did a bulk run of a different one of my titles for the UK market a few weeks ago, they (Createspace) sent me an email to warn me that the rhythm of sales logged would appear disrupted temporarily but would eventually go back to normal. I don't mind waiting to get paid during peak periods, but I do like knowing my sales numbers!

PPan

Jul 2, 2011
5. Dec 5, 2017 4:49 AM in response to: JonFergus

In my experience, the customer service people don't always know.  I assume there is some kind of a load balancer that sends orders to their own printers when the queue is below length X, then to backup printers when it is above X.   They might not know exactly where an order for your book is printed and have no way of finding out.   So they send you the closest thing they have, which is instructions on how to access the royalty report so they can close the ticket.

The Information Age is a wondrous time to be alive, isn't it?

Level 1 11 posts since
Aug 4, 2016
7. Dec 6, 2017 2:30 AM in response to: JonFergus

I am also a Best-Selling author who around Nov 18 2017 lost the US channel on Create Space. I am very concerned as to where my royalities have gone. I published my book in August 2016 and have had very steady sales. On 11/28/17 it was ranked #7 in two genres and not one US royality is showing on the dashboard for Create Space. It is right now #24 and no sales still. I am up at 4am freaking out and looking for answers so thank you for your post!! The only channel showing is the EU.

I called twice to Create Space and was told maybe my book didn't sell any yet. You don't abruptly go from hundreds of sales a month to around Nov 18th one major channel stopping all numbers.

Business partner is calling today again. Next call after that may have to be our attorney to see if he can get a more clear answer. Create Space cannot just keep our royalities when we know for a fact there are sales on Amazon or at least be a lot better at communicating what is happening for authors who have solid selling books through their platform.

I received an email in early Nov that they were stocking up the book for the EU market and royalities would be impacted. The email said nothing about the US royality channel not reporting US Amazon sales.

Level 1 11 posts since
Aug 4, 2016
8. Dec 6, 2017 2:22 AM in response to: JonFergus

I am the exact same situation about the royality payments being significant and helpful. As an author, the royalities have stayed the same since August 2016. I have a public relations firm who help with press and other media. The book is doing great and the significant royalities each month have become part of our budget. Very concerning to see the US channel disappear. It also makes up 95% or more of our sales. 

Jul 2, 2011
11. Dec 6, 2017 5:17 AM in response to: JonFergus

That's exactly what I did when I first started this years ago.  Since then I have learned that royalties are paid even if they have to outsource in December, so they'll show up in February.

But yes, certainly, if it makes you feel better to have a printing number, go ahead.   You'll be able to track the royalties.

Level 1 11 posts since
Aug 4, 2016
12. Dec 6, 2017 6:36 AM in response to: JonFergus

I definitely will update here if we hear anything useful. I feel so much better knowing this isn't a one-off just with me. The customer service rep was trying but I had to finally say goodbye and just hang up yesterday, when for the 5th time he tried to tell me maybe sales just dropped off so no US channel royalities. My ranking has been strong too during this exact season and we've had great media coverage so it would be nice to see the royalities on the dashboard from Nov 18-present or at least get an answer as to why this is happening. My book is Healing from Hidden Abuse https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Hidden-Abuse-Recovery-Psychological/dp/0997829087

Ordering a copy today to have the tracking number. Great idea.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...