Skip navigation
297 Views 3 Replies Last post: Dec 4, 2017 1:03 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 30, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2017 3:58 AM

newby and struggling

hello everyone,

im new here . and after many months in incubation, i now have my book written up.

i am not a computer person, and although i have now installed word, from which to type up my story.

I am not that familiar with word. though it is very old!

please can anyone tell me,  if i need to create a special page on word, for my story?

it all seems complicated, and i am not very well, and struggle with energy levels.

i get worn out when im faced with all of the instructions.

so , in a nutshell, do i simply type up on word?

when i peruse word, i see lots of options?

once i know what to do,

do i  add the embedded text etc afterwards?

thankyou

elizabeth

Level 5 4,204 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
1. Dec 4, 2017 6:23 AM in response to: elizabetha
Re: newby and struggling

I wouldn't advise anyone who struggles with computer basics to attempt to self-publish unassisted. Save time and grief by going to bookow.com for formatting help.

Level 4 2,517 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
2. Dec 4, 2017 12:10 PM in response to: elizabetha

If you're determined to learn how to do it yourself instead of heeding Maaku's wise advice, I suggest you study some online Word tutorials and then the CreateSpace documentation and specifications: Books (tab at top of page), Publish a Trade Paperback, Cover and Interior tabs.

Level 5 19,223 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Dec 4, 2017 1:03 PM in response to: elizabetha

My advice is different  . . .

Write your book. Use Word's defaults.  Just write it.  No one can do this for you.  Everything else . . . going from a rough, unedited manuscript to a finished printed and bound book . . . you can get help.  Some free, some expensive.  It all depends on what you need.  But write your book!

Work with copies of your files.  I always have at least one new file each day I work, sometimes several in a  day if things are complicated.  I append a revision number to the file name: my_book_rev001.doc, my_book_rev002.doc, my_book_rev003.doc . . .  Sometimes I'll add a descriptor to the title, especially during the later stages of the project; for example: my_book_rev012_chap_titles.doc.  Why all this? Word files can corrupt and then you've got bigger issues.  I've never had a Word file I couldn't fix or get a good, print-ready PDF from, but it can take lots of work.  A good, up-to-date backup copy is cheap insurance.

When you are through writing, you need to edit and revise.  This is always better done on paper than than from the monitor.  Here's an opportunity to see how the process with CS works.  You can probably make a book from your Word file without any formatting.  It won't look like a book, it will look like your file, although it will be bound and trimmed.  CS charges by the page not the page size, so 8.5 x 11 (you can have as many as 630 pages max).  Unless you 1) approve the proof and 2) enable distribution, your book remains private.  Order 5 copies (the max number for proofs . . . if you approve it, you could order as many copies as you want, or you could re-upload the same file, and order 5 more copies).  Have friends read it.  Listen to it being read.  Read it out loud.  Mark every mistake  or problem in red or highlighter . . . anything to draw attention to it.

Revise your book.

Ideally, you want an editor, but editing is a learned and practiced craft.  Just getting an A in Ms. Whitehouse's honors English class isn't enough.  But good editing takes time and time is money.  What I suggested above is what you should do whether or not you get an editor.

Somewhere along the way, you'll need to format the book.  The books around you are models.  And you'll find lots of free information on my free page, and I've got a few specific items linked below.

Maaku and Lorem_Ipsum are correct.  My way has a learning curve.  Bookow has an automated book formatting service.  It is inexpensive, and it is good, but it will not do everything.  I believe you can download a sample.  But in any case, you need to finish your book first.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...