Skip navigation
362 Views 4 Replies Last post: Dec 20, 2017 10:53 AM by bosm RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 5, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2017 8:17 AM

New Writer Just Beginning

Hello Everybody. I am 65 years old, retired, with plenty of time to write. I have no experience in writing. I have two children’s books written and need an illustrator. I know there are digital illustration programs and hand drawn illustrations. It must be hired out so where do I find someone to illustrate for me? How many pages? What size? How will I integrate the illustrations into the book? I will be on this site a lot, and decided that CreateSpace is the way to go. Many companies have called me with prices like $5000 for one small children’s book—- I’ll never earn anything if I pay that much up front.

Level 4 2,527 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Dec 6, 2017 9:55 AM in response to: HillStreet
Re: New Writer Just Beginning

Many illustrators offer their services on the forum. If you use Search Community (upper-right corner of page) to search on illustrator, you'll get a slew of results.

Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 7, 2017
2. Dec 15, 2017 4:40 PM in response to: HillStreet

Hi can i suggest if you could ask around some colleges and find yourself an illustrator this way as some colleges run courses in digital courses for students, I'm from the U.K and they run courses but if you live in the U.S surely someone could help you. Children's books are a huge market these days and a friend of mine done one kids book but the colour illustrations were costly so she opted for black and white illustrations. Usually colour looks more impressive. If you asked around perhaps once you got your book illustrated and sold a few copies and give the person a fee for doing the work through your book sales. Roahl Dahl (who wrote many children's books had an illustrator called Quentin Blake and they worked together for many, many years).  Ilustrations for kids books are expensive but if it's what you want to do, it's worthwhile doing and follow your dream. I've only began with my poetry book so I'm a novice and I wanted to be published for twenty years, I've also studied children's litreature. A very succuessful

Scottish book is ''The Gruffalo'', by Julia Donaldson. This book has taken off in the last five years from a television, stage version and the merchandising aspect. Please look at the book on Amazon ( the illustrations are amazing), I recall the author came to a local literary festival in my home town. It's amazing what an author can achieve. Good luck with your children's book.

Level 0 7 posts since
Nov 15, 2017
3. Dec 19, 2017 11:51 PM in response to: HillStreet

Hi there

I've recently found the Reedsy website here and it lists children picture book illustrators.

Good luck

Rachel

Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 9, 2013
4. Dec 20, 2017 10:53 AM in response to: rkcapps

I recommend Denis Proulx, he had illustrated three children's books for me in the series "The Adventures of Moses the Moose", he is amazing!!  If you need more information on him please check out his website, pretty impressive!! If you have any questions you can let me know.

Good Luck

Blair

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...