Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
31,824 Views 84 Replies Last post: Apr 13, 2012 8:04 AM by at00 RSS Go to original post
  1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated
45. Dec 31, 2011 10:18 PM in response to: Clementines
Re: What do you think of Kindle's new lending program

A quick update--I'm still reading The Shack and will get your review up by Monday--I'm really enjoying it.  And, thanks again, espcially for the UK review--

Bracy

www.badhousebooks.com

Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
46. Dec 31, 2011 10:21 PM in response to: Northwooder

Randy, I downloaded your book tonight, as well.  I was 'coming of age' about that time so it's somewhat nostalgic--even for a Southern boy from New Orleans.

Bracy

www.badhousebooks.com

Level 2 130 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
47. Dec 31, 2011 10:27 PM in response to: badhouse
Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
49. Jan 3, 2012 7:25 AM in response to: melodyanne

There's a relatively new development in "lending" that's run by a site called Lindle.  It has nothing to do with Amazon or the KDP Select/lending library thing.  It allows anyone with a Kindle to 'sync' its library and make available any/every book to borrowers.  Amazon shut it down for a while, but it's back up and running.  It seems clear to me that this is costing all of us, or at least has the potential to do so.

Take a look and let me know.

Bracy

www.badhousebooks.com

Level 1 152 posts since
May 13, 2011
50. Jan 3, 2012 7:40 AM in response to: badhouse

When my book was free, I had over 600 downloads and 31 from the UK in 5 days. Only one lend though. It went to #14 on the free charts, so yeah I had my 5 days of bliss. Hopefully, if I get piece and quiet I can finish my current novel and get it published this month. I'll check out that Lindle thing. That's just wrong. Melody I bought another one of your kindle books, and I'm excited to read it. And just like you, I've been sooo busy! Seems like peace and quiet are impossible atm.

Terri Marie

http://www.amazon.com/Shack-Merry-Cat-Named-Cha-moan/dp/1461184568

http://terrimarie-books.com/

Level 0 25 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
51. Jan 3, 2012 8:48 AM in response to: melodyanne

I know it must be exciting to see a title receiving attention, even if it's accomplished by giving it away for free.

But I have to insist that the only metric that matters involves actual sales and more specifically royalty payments.  A title could

manage a million free downloads or lends in a day.  But none of that matters unless it indirectly produces in the short-term real, honest-to-God

royalty payments to the author.  Can't emphasize this enough. In my opinion, this free lending program benefits Amazon more than it does individual authors and does not benefit Amazon in the long run as much as Amazon's marketing people apparently think that it does.

Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
52. Jan 3, 2012 8:53 AM in response to: jpc21

I don't see Amazon's program being any different from Burger King offering free fries--you give 'em away for a day, or a couple of days, then you go back to regular price.  It's the most common advertising/promotional tool.  Lendle has nothing to do with Amazon---it's an independent, third party site sharing eBooks.

Level 0 25 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
53. Jan 3, 2012 9:04 AM in response to: melodyanne

Burger King has a full plate of offerings.  If it gives away french fries for only as much as a day, then that makes some degree of sense, especially (only) if it draws in additional business.  An author only has "the french fries" to sell or give away.  The author only has the book.

Not a valid comparison at all.

Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
54. Jan 3, 2012 9:16 AM in response to: jpc21

Sorry you don't agree jpc, but for my dollars the analogy is valid.  This is the first book I've promoted, I've been busy running a half-billion dollar company the last 35 years and I know how to drive business, in any market, for any commodity--and how to do it profitably.  I may not make a penny on my first book, but I'll do better with the next one, and if I live long enough, even better on the third.

Bracy

Level 0 25 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
55. Jan 3, 2012 9:43 AM in response to: melodyanne

Badhouse, you certainly got my attention with that one.  I didn't mean to sound argumentative with a specific person.  But I can't help being extremely sceptical about a free lending program.  If a first book actually sells well, then there is no guarantee that a second will sell equally well.  If a first book is given away for free and understandably reaches a larger audience than expected, then it does not follow that a second book will sell well if not given away.  I'm just having a tough time buying the premise that "We might be selling at a loss for now, but we'll make it up on volume eventually."

Level 2 219 posts since
Apr 20, 2011
56. Jan 3, 2012 10:27 AM in response to: jpc21

Good point--there are no guarantees.  The next one may not do as well, but the first rule of selling (assuming you're looking for long term success) is that you must have a quality product; and, I'm banking on my belief that my quality is improving.  I hate giving away a book (or an order of fries) but I can justify it as 'brand-building' or general image enhancing promotion, the cost of doing business.  And, then I rely on the rules of supply and demand or the price-elasticity principles of economics.  No one ever heard of me, as an author or novelist, until last November, now there are several hundred people out there who do know me and hopefully think of me (my work) fondly.  It's a gamble, but if I'm right it'll pay dividends.

badhouse

Level 0 25 posts since
Aug 17, 2010
57. Jan 3, 2012 11:53 AM in response to: badhouse

Now you're talking like a businessperson...and an artist.

And that's a combination to be admired.

Good luck to you.

And don't give up on trying it the hard way...i.e. selling your worthwhile work, rather than giving it away.

Level 1 152 posts since
May 13, 2011
58. Jan 3, 2012 1:18 PM in response to: jpc21

First of all, I did do a 5 day give away. It's my book, it's my numbers, it's my glory, it was my decision. Only one copy was lended.I did it to help get my name out there and it worked. Secondly, I have sold my share of kindle copies as well as paperbacks. If a person, who worked hard to produce a book, finds excitement in avenues that you do not, don't judge what isn't your right to judge.I have nothing against Amazon or CS. There might be a few areas that could use improvement, but that's true in everything. I also worked as an ER nurse for over twenty years. I know what it's like to earn money the 'right way'. Those numbers I saw made me feel good, and gave me some excitement in my day. Just to know that someone was sitting over there in the UK with my book in their hands, thrilled me.Obviously, I don't write to support myself, pay my mortgage, etc...Royalties isn't the only reason why people write. I didn't write this book to get rich. I wrote it back in 1996 as a family keepsake. I published it....because I could. Best of luck to you jpc21....

Terri Marie

http://www.amazon.com/Shack-Merry-Cat-Named-Cha-moan/dp/1461184568

http://terrimarie-books.com/

Level 2 130 posts since
Mar 2, 2011
59. Jan 3, 2012 1:41 PM in response to: Clementines

I agree with Terri Marie. The promotion got our books in the hands of readers throughout the world. Hopefully the end result of so many downloads will be favorable word of mouth which will result in sales. If not, then I am still happy that so many people are (hopefully) enjoying our books. The free promotion for my first book, The Boys Of Northwood, starts tomorrow. And, as with Sarah Of The Moon, I am excited about it. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...