This discussion is archived
84,609 Views 18 Replies Last post: Feb 9, 2013 10:52 AM by JenzJ RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2012 12:11 PM

indesign templates

I found templates in Word. Do any exist for InDesign or do I copy the word ones? thank you

Level 5 15,813 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. Feb 15, 2012 2:26 PM in response to: oddstick
Re: indesign templates

There aren't any InDesign templates available for CS, but it really is simple to create your own. File > New Document, then enter your trim size, margins and bleed values, select Facing Pages, and you're on your way.

Create a few Master pages to position your headers and footers -- multiple Masters are good if you have different chapter headers or want to create a Master with no header for chapter title pages. Then just drag and drop the Masters on to the relevant pages.

There's a way to automate headers, but it's a bit more complex to explain.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 28, 2012
2. Mar 28, 2012 1:10 PM in response to: oddstick

Adobe used to have some templates available with the software (similar to Word) but they don't do this anymore. If you are looking to start off your projecct, see these free InDesign templates, hope they will help with your project.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 8, 2011
3. May 18, 2012 3:30 PM in response to: oddstick

Actually, there is a great site which has free templates in a variety of sizes:

http://www.selfpub.info/templates/book-templates-for-indesign.html

I have used them and found them to be very helpful.

Good luck.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
4. May 18, 2012 3:41 PM in response to: Fanta

Hmm, I just commented in the other thread so please excuse the spam while I repost it here.

I thought of creating InDesign  templates but I really feel that if you need a template you should not  be using InDesign to layout your book. InDesign is a fantastic software  and one of the best available for solid layout but to use it properly  you need to learn the tool. I would take an average Word or OO layout  over an amateur InDesign one any day.

R. C.

Level 3 701 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
5. May 19, 2012 7:13 AM in response to: oddstick

The InDesign book interior template I made four years ago is still available. 17,000 downloads and counting!

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1764524

Level 0 9 posts since
Jul 31, 2012
6. Jul 31, 2012 7:40 AM in response to: Fanta
Re: Indesign Templates - August 2012

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a template to use with Adobe InDesign to make a 8" x 10" book. Each page will have a combination of text and graphics. I don't really know too much about page bleeds or gutters, so that is why I'm looking for a template I can start using immediately.

User Fanta gave a link to this website with templates:

http://www.selfpub.info/templates/book-templates-for-indesign.html

The template is almost right. However the first numbered page begins on the front cover and I can't see a way to change this.

I'd like to be able to list the Chapter title on the top left of each page, and the Book Title on the top right of each page.

Does anybody have a link to a suitable template or advice on setting one up with Indesign?

Thank you.

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Jul 31, 2012 7:50 AM in response to: StormFist

For CS, you must produce 2 files, interior and cover. Thus, the interior file has no cover. I don't know the template you're using, but you should be able to treat the first page as a half title page (not a cover), wihch is the norm.   The cover file is one piece of art, back cover, spine, and front cover. Both files should be converted to PDFs, reviewed carefully, then uploaded.

InDesign is "funny." You cannot use a CS5.5 InDesign file in CS 2, unless you have all the "plug-ins" and as near as I can tell that is a polite way of saying you mus upgrade to CS5.5.  So, creating templates that anyone can use is problematic.  Everything you want to do is available in InDesign.  Using master pages, you can create anything you want, then apply the master page to the book pages. I would not bother with a template, but start from scratch.

InDesign is a great program (despite the 30 days I was unable to work because of a bug in InDesign . . . that is still there, but at least I have a work around). It comes with a stiff learning curve.  Check out the tutorials on Lynda.com . . . the InDesign tutorials are spectacular.

Walton

Level 0 9 posts since
Jul 31, 2012
8. Jul 31, 2012 8:07 AM in response to: walton

Hi Walton.

Thanks for taking the time answer. What you say about the separate file for the cover makes perfect sense.  I've already created my book as an ebook but want to get a move on so I will take your advice and try and create my own book file in Indesign.

Creating a new document requires margin settings/ page settings which I will try and copy from the template. Is there any recommended settings for a 8" x 10"?

-What was the error you had?

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Jul 31, 2012 8:27 AM in response to: StormFist

You can have a parent master pages  and children: e.g. Master Pages 2 based on Master Pages 1, where 1 is the parent and 2 is the child.  Change 1 and 2 changes also. In the help manual, CS give the example of having ten chapters/master pages based on one.

I had a corrupt master page, that caused all the following master pages to be corrupted. This manifested itself in being unable to move things with any accuracy or even in a timely manner (17 minutes to drag a text frame 0.0625" is, hmmm, not good).  One month of checking for viruses and other malware, testing for application or start up conflicts, uninstalling, reinstalling, cleaning up with the CS5 Cleaner, updating, trying this, trying that . . . finally the Developers Team (the people who created InDesign) came back and said you can only have 3-4 linked chapters, and this has been true for all versions of InDesign.  Interesting that the manual gives the example of "ten."

One call to Adobe, can take a day . . . call dropped, hang ups, transferring, call backs . . .  In this case it was 30 days, I spent a fair amount of time on the Adobe InDesign forum, trying to get help.

Only you can tell if your margins are best.  Consider, however, that CS uses a tight binding, so not only must you meet or exceed their minimum inside margin (based on page count), but it's a good idea to be generous. I tend to use 0.75" to 1.375"

Walton

Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 9, 2010
10. Sep 1, 2012 6:06 PM in response to: robertan

thanks! I need a templete for 6.9 specs..

Level 0 2 posts since
Mar 28, 2012
11. Sep 2, 2012 12:04 AM in response to: AJWMedia

Changing file size is one of the easiest things to do, why don't you just get a template you like and go from there? Here, for example, are many brochure templates: http://www.bestindesigntemplates.com/download/indesign-brochure-templates, one of them could be the right size but you'd have to search.

Level 2 219 posts since
May 21, 2010
12. Sep 2, 2012 2:09 PM in response to: AJWMedia

In addition to InDesign template links already posted above, this InDesign tutorial videos might be of help to you.

InDesign Tutorials here

Jeny

Need help with CreateSpace formatting?

Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 9, 2010
13. Sep 2, 2012 2:29 PM in response to: robertan

those templetes are crap....there are no book templetes.... only mags...

do anyone have any book templetes? for 6.9'?

Cheers.

Level 5 3,516 posts since
Sep 17, 2008
14. Sep 2, 2012 2:46 PM in response to: AJWMedia

There is an InDesign 6x9 template at the following url in which Derek suggested earlier: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1764524

There is an InDesign 6x9 template at the following url in which StormFist suggested earlier: http://www.selfpub.info/templates/book-templates-for-indesign.html.

- Eric

Eric V. Van Der Hope is a #1 International Bestselling Author (Mastering Niche Marketing), Publishing & Book Marketing Strategist, Copywriter & Speaker, with an extensive list of writing and editing credits to his name. He & his family live near Santa Monica, California. Eric dedicates his time to helping people publish & market their books effectively. You can read his latest blog posts on: "Eric's Book Marketing Minute". To learn more about Eric and what he does, you may connect with him via his personal Facebook Profile, his Facebook Fanpage: BookLaunchMarketing, his Twitter Profile: @ericvanderhope, and/or his LinkedIn Profile. You can also visit Eric's Official Website.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...