Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
895 Views 6 Replies Last post: Jul 1, 2018 9:29 PM by some1 RSS
Level 0 49 posts since
Sep 10, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2017 7:13 AM

Are Nielsen BookScan's sales figures for real?

I know this question has been raised, discussed, and perhaps definitely answered before, but I have to raise it again. Nielsen is reporting I sold 20 paperbacks between 12/18 and 12/24, up eight from the previous reporting period. However, I can only account for two of these sales through Amazon/CreateSpace. I am aware of a few sales at bookstores where I have my novel on consignment. Ingram shows no sales during the same period. I've sold 54 books through Ingram this year to date (that I know of). I did have a sales surge on Ingram this past July, when they sold 23 of my POD books in one day. I think that the Hawaii State Library bought 12 of them. I doubt if bookstores have been stocking my novel for possible sales (other than the local stores that have them on consignment). As much as I love this latest sales report, how seriously should I take it?

Level 5 12,994 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Dec 29, 2017 9:45 AM in response to: AptosAuthor
Re: Are Nielsen BookScan's sales figures for real?

I've never been able to fully reconcile the figures reported by any of these.

I don't worry about it too much, because to some degree, that's the nature of print-on-demand -- there may be considerable time lags between when a book is printed (and accounted for in terms of royalty payments) and when it is sold to a consumer and scanned at that point-of-sale. It's also the nature of self-publishing, in which a higher percentage of sales are made through channels that aren't participating in any centralized reporting/tracking system (and this has become even more of a factor since third-party sellers starting winning the Amazon buy box). Finally, there are some brick-and-mortar booksellers and merchandisers who collect  point-of-sale data into a centralized system first, and then feed a weekly or monthly summary  report to BookScan (which means in some cases, a consumer sale can show up much later than when it actually occurred).

Level 0 2 posts since
Feb 1, 2014
3. Mar 4, 2018 5:51 PM in response to: AptosAuthor

A different question on the same issue: How can Nielsen BookScan report more total sales than CreateSpace?  That’s my situation.

Level 0 3 posts since
Jun 28, 2018
5. Jul 1, 2018 8:00 PM in response to: AptosAuthor

Congradulations, it seems as your book is pretty loved by people, there more book sales you have is a symbol of how much people engage themselves with your book. I still believe that the more time goes on then the more you will receive more orders, if it is loved by one then it can be loved by two, if loved by two then it will be loved by many, if loved by many then your bank account will look pretty good. Good luck with your sales venture.

Level 2 206 posts since
Jul 2, 2016
6. Jul 1, 2018 9:29 PM in response to: vmash

vmash wrote:

Congradulations, it seems as your book is pretty loved by people, there more book sales you have is a symbol of how much people engage themselves with your book. I still believe that the more time goes on then the more you will receive more orders, if it is loved by one then it can be loved by two, if loved by two then it will be loved by many, if loved by many then your bank account will look pretty good. Good luck with your sales venture.

Love you man... gotta love simple people with a simple view on life...

if loved by 1 => can be loved by 2,  ad infinitum...and that means more sales and bigger bank acc.

..wish i could afford the luxury of thinking like that --

...but after all the many hard knock of life -- all such rosy optimisms of the simple kind were knocked out, long back--

...but you enjoy it guy/gal -- while you still have this rosy view on life...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...