This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
9,815 Views 8 Replies Last post: Apr 1, 2009 1:36 PM by StaceyJ RSS
Level 1 49 posts since
Oct 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 1, 2008 6:20 PM

Shipping and Taxes to Canada, UK, and Australia

Can anyone provide some insight into shipping and tax costs for a bulk order, made using your publisher's discount, for perhaps 30 to 50 books, shipped to Canada, the UK, and/or Australia?  Approximately what does the shipping cost amount to per book if you're sending 30 to 50 copies?  I would like to ship the slowest, cheapest possible way.

Does CreateSpace automatically deal with taxes, and what would the approximate tax assessed per book, if my publisher's discount price is about $3.00.  Is there any paperwork or other export nonsense I'd have to deal with, or does CreateSpace handle everything?

Level 3 703 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
1. Dec 1, 2008 9:38 PM in response to: ErikVeg
Re: Shipping and Taxes to Canada, UK, and Australia

I ordered 10 copies of my book to be shipped to Canada. The shipping came to about $3 each. I get the idea that the per-unit shipping cost reduces as the quantity increases.

Level 5 11,787 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Dec 1, 2008 10:15 PM in response to: Derek

I just ordered 14 books to be shipped to Australia (each book is 8x10", 72pp) and it cost US$3.15 per copy for shipping. I did not have to pay any customs/import taxes.

Prior to this I ordered 20 books (same title as above) and it worked out to US$2.64 per copy, and 80 copies = US$1.80 per copy.

If you want slow shipping, though, you got it. My latest order was placed a week ago and is still in "transmitted" status. I'll be lucky if I get them before Xmas.

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 4, 2008
3. Dec 13, 2008 7:07 PM in response to: Derek

I would like to order a single proof of my book, but the shipping to where I am in South-Western Ontario, Canada, is $23 for economy or $35 for expedited...are these prices in line with what you paid for your proof? I really have a hard time thinking that it costs that much for one book when obviously you paid about $30 for all ten, and I expect your book was much thicker than my daughter's 80 page novel.

Level 0 3 posts since
Jan 24, 2009
5. Jan 30, 2009 1:18 PM in response to: adoreabull

I am in Pennsylvania, within a mile of the Lake Erie shore. I can see lights in the Long Point Ontario area at night. I just ordered my proof and standard shipping was $6.30. It seems kind of high for one book but I will wait to see where it is printed and shipped from before I get too upset.

Level 0 40 posts since
Jan 2, 2009
6. Feb 1, 2009 11:24 PM in response to: ErikVeg

I ship books every day in my publishing house (outside CS stuff).  It cost $6.22 to ship any book anywhere in Canada or the united States. I don't know what CS is on about, but their shipping method is way out of whack from what the industry uses.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 23, 2009
7. Apr 1, 2009 11:56 AM in response to: WilliamHopper

Hi William, what shipping company do you use?

Level 0 22 posts since
Oct 22, 2008
8. Apr 1, 2009 1:36 PM in response to: adoreabull

What I did with my proof, was have it shipped to a store just across the border.  That saved me the extra $20, a weeks worth of shipping, and all it takes me is a 40 minute drive to the border.  When I come back across, I'm going to ask how much customs and such will be if I have my major orders shipped there as well and just clear them through customs myself.  I'm not sure how close to the border you are, but there's generally some of those kind of postal services on the US side.  I find it really useful when I want to order something online and they don't ship to Canada.

Stacey Voss

Author of Thunder and Blood

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...